PDA

View Full Version : Water bag - Good idea?

hikerjohnd
01-31-2005, 13:56
Been thinking about a water bag for camp situations... What do you all think?

http:// www.trailquest.net/dlgcwatersac.html

Thanks for the input!

kncats
01-31-2005, 14:12
We like having a large water container for in camp. It's convenient having enough water for two people to get through dinner, breakfast and to start hiking the next day, all with one trip to the water source. However, for two ounces more than the Dancing Light water bag you can get an MSR DromLite 4 liter water bag that can be closed up and carried with you. My wife and I each carry one of these. Depending on water availability during the day we carry up to two liters with us while hiking and then fill both once we reach camp at night.

Lone Wolf
01-31-2005, 14:15
I never backpack without one. Damn good thing to have.

Mother Nature
01-31-2005, 14:16
I don't know what I would do without mine. I usually hike with my husband, Smokestack, and we use alot of water. Some of those trails to water seem like they reroute you back to other side of the world. This bag hold SO much water and you can make that long tedious trek just once. I can't give you an exact amount but we have often given water away in the morning. You can't always find a deep water source or a pipe. We always take our cup down the water trail in the event that filling the bag becomes a challenge. Hang near the shelter or a tree.

We treat out water with Aqua Mira drops and when we need to prepare drinking water in camp, we just transfer water into our water bottles and add drops.

In the summer time, we fill up the bag and lay in on a FLAT surface. Believe it or not it spreads out without spilling a drop. Put it on a nice hot rock in the sun and soon the water warms enough to take a sponge bath.

If you decide to get one, you won't be disappointed.

Mother Nature:sun

karo
01-31-2005, 14:28
I have one of those water bags and use it often. It weighs very little ( a couple of ounces) and fits in my filter stuff sack. I keep the filter and filter element in a mesh bag so I can hang it outside my pack to dry. I got mine from Brandon Binkley at www.backpackingdeals.com (http://www.backpackingdeals.com). He has great prices and actually has a store near me (Mufreesboro, TN):)

PKH
01-31-2005, 14:41
As per L. Wolf - damned fine thing to have.

Cheers,

PKH

Spirit Walker
01-31-2005, 14:41
We use the REI 2 gallon water bag. It can be hung in a tree and used as a shower. A lot of the water sources on the AT are quite a way off trail with a lot of elevation change. You really don't want to make more than one trip to the spring, if possible. We fill the bag and have enough for dinner and breakfast and a shower, plus some to pump out for the water bottles.

hikerjohnd
01-31-2005, 14:47
The aye's have it! I guess I'm going shopping!

Karo - Thanks for the tip about storage in with the filter - I was wondering where to keep it...

The Solemates
01-31-2005, 15:08
Not for solo hiking....Better be hiking with someone else if you plan on filtering, so that they can hold the bag while you pump or else how do you fill it up without spilling. also seems like it would spill too easy while in camp, and would take too long to fill up. We'll stick with a 1.5L Platypus and 2 1L soda bottles.

max patch
01-31-2005, 15:29
Sent mine home at Damascus. Rarely used it; just took up room in the pack.

NICKTHEGREEK
01-31-2005, 15:31
Great to have. I carry a 96 oz capacity Nalgene Canteen to collect water for filtering. Why filter into it, when you can filter from it into whatever?? It has a reinforced slot in the bag so you can pass a nylon strap or whatever suits you for easyier hauling, dunking, whatever. Makes a pretty good washing machine too.The wide mouth easily takes a pair of socks a t and boxers add a bit of campsuds and water shake and knead then rinse. Makes a nice counterweight for a Bear bag, a shower with the cap and drinking hose rig (less bite valve) set it down step on it and instant water pressure, wonderful hot water bottle for a sore back. I'm sure there are lighter and cheaper ways but it suits me just fine. Now that I think of it I'm going to buy another next time I'm at Hudson Trail Outfitters or REI.
http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/store/subcategory.asp?categorysubcategorycode=22

TDale
01-31-2005, 15:34
The campmor special: 4 oz - 2.5 gallon capacity, enough for all you water needs.

Solemate, you sit on the bank, put the bag between your feet, works with mine. :)

The Solemates
01-31-2005, 15:43
Solemate, you sit on the bank, put the bag between your feet, works with mine. :)

that wouldnt work with the one hikerjohn posted. check out the link...its made of sil nylon.

A-Train
01-31-2005, 15:43
I found it very useful. Had one of the platypus (i think) water sacks that weigh an once or two and carry about 2+liters of water. I'd go fill up my 2 gatorade bottles and the water bag upon getting to camp and have plenty of water for cooking, cleaning, drinking and some to start out the next day with. I don;t know about filtering but aquarmira works perfect with the bag, just dump it in and wait a couple minutes. Mine sprang a bit of a leak in nh, but I doctored it up and still use it to this day. It can be folded into the size of a bandana and can serve as an emergency/extra water bottle should u lose a bottle (like I did in Mahoosuc Notch).

TankHiker
01-31-2005, 15:55
The water bag is light, and useful in many situations. You can make a lot of friends around camp by having a bunch of water available.

However, I agree that the Nalgene/Platypus canteens are better. They are easier to fill. And for the most part, it is all the water you'll need for an evening.

Either way, you'll be happy you have it on those days when the water source is a half mile downhill from the shelter. It sucks to make that trip several times.

-TANK

The Hog
01-31-2005, 16:42
Thumbs up on a water bag. Just don't make the mistake of leaving it hanging out (full) on a subfreezing night. One of my hiking buddies did that in Maine and had to carry a rather large chunk of ice.

Mouse
01-31-2005, 19:05
I had a six-liter Platypus until it wore out in New England. It was VERY convenient for being able to make just one trip to the spring, especially when the water source was hard to get to. I also liked having plenty to share with others as an impromptu form of Trail Magic.

oldfivetango
01-31-2005, 20:23
If you take 2 platty bags you have a backup and a way to "balance the load"
in the event you have a little ways to carry it back to camp.Us old folks always need to stay in balance.I have one rigged up with hose.
Cheers to all,
Oldfivetango:bse

MedicineMan
02-01-2005, 03:17
did use the waterbag until after my first trip through the smokies, ladi di had one and it supplied 6 people with water after only one trip to the spring....i was sold on it then and henceforth....if you forget one but have a walmart plastic bag its good for about 2 trips...better than nothing.
Once besides Doc's KNob shelter I filtered and filled enough water for the next day and then took a sponge bath out of it

Gonzo!
02-01-2005, 09:11
Boxed wines have nice bags that can be used after the wine is gone. Just need to make an outer bag to protect/carry the bladder. If you can't make a bag for this, then you better buy all your gear!
Gonzo!

orangebug
02-01-2005, 09:27
Another light and cheap version of a water bag are the plastic grocery bags. You can even double bag them. However, they don't hold their shape and sit on a picnic table full of water like some of the silnylon bags I've seen.

When I'm hiking with others, I bring a 5L Platy Big Zip for the extra water, and another person to help carry a few liter bottles.

karo
02-01-2005, 11:31
I have found a trick to using my water bag solo. I always have a strap on the outside of my pack for sleeping pad, bag, etc. I got this idea from Eddie (Ewker) on the Frozen Head trip last spring. You just strap the handles of the water bag to a tree and stick my Pur Hiker in the straps at top. It does make this chore much easier.

Uncle Silly
02-01-2005, 15:48
Not for solo hiking....Better be hiking with someone else if you plan on filtering, so that they can hold the bag while you pump or else how do you fill it up without spilling. also seems like it would spill too easy while in camp, and would take too long to fill up. We'll stick with a 1.5L Platypus and 2 1L soda bottles.
I have to agree with NickTheGreek here -- don't filter as you fill up the bag, but filter as you fill your bottle from the bag. Just make sure anyone in camp knows the bag is untreated water and you're fine. I don't own one of these things, and I'm not sure I want/need one, but I can definitely see where it would come in handy.

Footslogger
02-01-2005, 15:54
I have one of the bags like the one shown in the first post of this thread. They are really light and super for gathering and filtering from, but not so hot for pouring. I wanted something I could pour from into my smaller containers. For me the 4 Liter Platypus worked better. It was only a couple ounces empty and folded flat for storage in an outside pouch of my backpack.

'Slogger
AT 2003

hikerjohnd
02-01-2005, 16:20
I have to agree with NickTheGreek here -- don't filter as you fill up the bag, but filter as you fill your bottle from the bag. Just make sure anyone in camp knows the bag is untreated water and you're fine. I don't own one of these things, and I'm not sure I want/need one, but I can definitely see where it would come in handy.
Yea - this was my plan (filter from bag -- bag = untreated water) I just figured it would be nice/easier to filter from this or if I'm cooking I can just boil the water from this and not have to filter it.

Panama Red
02-01-2005, 16:31
great idea but campmor sells them cheaper

The Solemates
02-01-2005, 16:34

Seems pointless to me. If you have a water source nearby, what is the need to transport unfiltered water? Unless the water source is far from your camp....but that is just poor planning on your part.

orangebug
02-01-2005, 17:03
Abington Gap Shelter. Vanderveter Shelter. Just to name a couple with distant water sources. The water bag is a nice way to reduce the work of toting water.

jlb2012
02-01-2005, 17:12
its a personal preference thing with me - when I filter its more comfortable for me to be standing up on level ground filtering from a bag than balanced on some rocks crouched down filtering from a stream or spring. I use a spare bootlace and a minibiner to hang the bag from any convient tree.

Fiddleback
02-01-2005, 17:14
"...the water source is far from your camp....but that is just poor planning on your part."

Or good camping ethics...

Increasing the distance between your campsite and a water source generally increases the protection afforded to that water source. It also benefits the wildlife which may feel a little bit better about approaching the water. Further, camping away from the water protects plants that are specific to that zone. LNT recommends a minimum of 200' between campsite and water source. That's sufficient distance to motivate me to reduce my back and forth water trips.

FB

The Solemates
02-01-2005, 17:53
Abington Gap Shelter. Vanderveter Shelter. Just to name a couple with distant water sources. The water bag is a nice way to reduce the work of toting water.

No kidding. Try doing it in the dark (both nights)!

The Solemates
02-01-2005, 17:55
"...the water source is far from your camp....but that is just poor planning on your part."

Or good camping ethics...

Increasing the distance between your campsite and a water source generally increases the protection afforded to that water source. It also benefits the wildlife which may feel a little bit better about approaching the water. Further, camping away from the water protects plants that are specific to that zone. LNT recommends a minimum of 200' between campsite and water source. That's sufficient distance to motivate me to reduce my back and forth water trips.

FB

True, agreed. 200' isnt very far when you are walking 2000 miles though. I'll make all the trips needed if its only 200' just so I can leave an extra 4 ounces at home.

Fiddleback
02-01-2005, 20:44
Yeah...4oz over 2000miles vs 200' once or twice extra per day...I'd probably do the same.

FB

NICKTHEGREEK
02-01-2005, 22:13
Seems pointless to me. If you have a water source nearby, what is the need to transport unfiltered water? Unless the water source is far from your camp....but that is just poor planning on your part.Lots of uses for unfiltered water, rinse your socks, wipe the mud off your tent, take a shave or bathe (well some folks anyway). I'm not as fastidious in my planning to have a nice log pre-positioned next to a stream so I can sit my tired butt down while I pump away. Poor me, my piss-poor planning used to force me to squat on a teetering rock for 5 minutes to collect water it now takes 30 seconds to gather in the bag (standing up) and filter later and comfortably. Incidentally, through poor planning I've been able to collect water pretty easily from a well head or running stream pipe that may have been a challenge to draw from a filter inlet. :bse

Alligator
02-01-2005, 23:32
I used to have one of the Campmor bags. I liked it but mine froze and developed a leak . I now use 3 platypuses (tempted to use the latin plural here:D ) for a total of 6.5 l if I chose to make camp elsewhere. Having the extra water tempts one to do extra chores such as washing up, cleaning the dishes thoroughly, brushing your teeth;) , etc.

Another benefit to the bag is if you filter your water. Sediment in the water will settle out after something like 10-20 minutes. This will reduce accumulation of sediment inside your filter.

Personally, I prefer the platypusi (OOps I conjugated that incorrectly:bse ) because they can be sealed and moved down the trail. Since I use Polar Pur, I don't have to worry about the container being contaminated. But the water bag is also a very good option, especially the newer lighter ones.

Earl Grey
09-21-2006, 20:35
This is something I missed when I went out this past weekend. It sure would have made things so much easier as the creek was .25 mile away at least. You shouldnt have to put it on the ground and have it spread out like that. Couldnt you hang it from a tree limb?

Spock
09-21-2006, 22:08
Before you shop for a water bag, consider using your pack cover or getting/making a pack cover that will also work as a water bag. A flat silnylon pack cover will weigh 1.5 or 2 ounces, depending on the drawstring and then you will have a double-duty piece of gear.