PDA

View Full Version : First time Section Hiker

corb
06-02-2011, 14:22
I'm looking at doing a Springer to Whitley hike in late July with my son and one other person. I know it's going to be hot. Ideally, I would be doing this earlier, but trying to juggle schedules leaves me only then or have to wait until next year. I don't have an issue with the heat (God knows it's hot here in AL) unless of course water will be in short supply. As of June 2011, does anyone have any reports on the availability of water in and around the shelters? What about creeks along the way? I've seen some other posts regarding it, but they are relatively out of date. Typically, what is the water supply like in July on that section of the trail?

4dogHiker
06-02-2011, 14:34
Got to Mountain Crossings website and they have a link for water sources in GA that is updated pretty regularly.

jesse
06-02-2011, 14:48
Best I can remember there is no water on that section until you get to Whitley. At Whitley there is a piped stream that I think is year round, unless there is an extreme drought.

Day Glow
06-02-2011, 19:14
I'm doing Springer Mt. to Davenport July 10 - 24. Look for Day Glow.

Hwcross82
07-24-2011, 21:59
I am wondering if you are still doing a late July hike? I am leaving Tuesday from amicalola falls and hiking to neel's gap. Let me know if you will be out there. Safety in numbers!
I'm looking at doing a Springer to Whitley hike in late July with my son and one other person. I know it's going to be hot. Ideally, I would be doing this earlier, but trying to juggle schedules leaves me only then or have to wait until next year. I don't have an issue with the heat (God knows it's hot here in AL) unless of course water will be in short supply. As of June 2011, does anyone have any reports on the availability of water in and around the shelters? What about creeks along the way? I've seen some other posts regarding it, but they are relatively out of date. Typically, what is the water supply like in July on that section of the trail?

Jafmfx2
11-21-2013, 16:06
I am scheduling a hike from springer to the mc border in earl October 2014. Have not the trail since I was in the scouts 30 some years ago. Appreciate any suggestions on gear, weather, and any other thoughts, ideas for this hike
thank you in advance

Kerosene
11-21-2013, 19:38
Jafmfx2, you might want to open a new thread with your question, as this thread is a few years old.

Also, I think you'll get more out of perusing many of the threads on WhiteBlaze which would then help you ask more targeted questions.

Early October in Georgia should be a great time to hike, but realize that it can get surprisingly cold at night up in the mountains. I'd certainly carry a 20-degree bag, but I probably would get by with a 100-weight fleece, rain/wind jacket, and long-sleeve base layer around camp. Your biggest issue might be water availability, especially if it has been a long, dry summer.

Toon
11-21-2013, 20:13
I am scheduling a hike from springer to the mc border in earl October 2014. Have not the trail since I was in the scouts 30 some years ago. Appreciate any suggestions on gear, weather, and any other thoughts, ideas for this hike
thank you in advance

Good gear at a great price golite. I love all there stuff I got a pack and bag love them. Check out used gear on here also u might not want to spend a lot of money until you know if u like hiking

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2