PDA

View Full Version : Brushing My Teeth With Dr Bronners

STICK
06-02-2011, 20:02
So, I have read of people using this miracle soap that can be used for anything, from cleaning their (backpacking) kitchens, washing their hair, face, body, clothes and even brushing their teeth with. Then I came across the Dr. Bronners in a recent edition of the Backpacker magazine. I noticed they said they like the peppermint best for using to brush their teeth with.

Now this sounds really great to me. I have been looking for ways to lighten my pack over the last few months, and this really seemed like a multiuse item. So, I figured what the heck and added a 4 oz bottle of the peppermint Dr Bronners soap along with a little 1 oz plastic squirt bottle (to repackage it) to an existing order at REI.

Also, in that same order was a TOOB Brush that I wanted to try. It is a neat little all-in-one toothbrush. It comes with a toothbrush, a plastic housing which also covers the head of the toothbrush and the bottom handle actually houses a tiny tube that can be filled with my own toothpaste. Total, $5.50 and 1 oz empty.

(I also did a video on "How do you brush your teeth?" in which I talked about the TOOB Brush along with some others. If you are interested, you can see it here:

How do you brush your teeth? (http://sticksblog.com/2011/05/29/how-do-you-brush-your-teeth/))

So, my son and I are heading out for an overnight trip tomorrow as soon as I get off of work, and while packing our packs today, I decided to go ahead and repackage the Dr. Bronners. After doing so, I decided to just try brushing my teeth with a little to see what it tasted like.

I used my regular toothbrush and squirted a tiny bit on it. It is not as I had imagined, which was kind of thick liquid like the liquid hand washing soap, but rather pretty thinned out, but not quite as thin as water. First off, I was amazed at how such a tiny amount foamed up so well. I really felt like I was brushing my teeth. The taste was not awful as I had feared either.

So, I finished brushing my teeth and rinsed. Then it got me. It has a very strange and odd aftertaste. Not exactly bad, but no where near good. I can say it was not a pepperminty aftertaste... It made me want to wash my mouth out again with some more water, which didn't really help too much. It took about 5 minutes for the taste to go away.

So, will I use it again, I don't know. The best part of brushing my teeth for me is that nice after taste, especially in the morning! I will take it with my son and I on our trip tomorrow night, and I will use it again the next morning to see how it does for me then. Maybe it will be welcoming when compared to my morning breath. (And don't tell my son, but I am going to let him use it too...see what his response to it is... http://www.backpacker.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif )

Anyway, has anyone else used the Dr. Bronners, or any other do-it-all soap to brush your teeth with? How did it go for you, and do you have a favorite flavor?

Thanks.

Ender
06-02-2011, 20:15
I tried it once. I will never, ever, do that to myself again.

Dobie Swift
06-02-2011, 20:20
I too tried brushing with the peppermint Dr. Bronner's.... ONCE! I asked my dentist about alternatives to toothpaste while backpacking and he asked me how long I was usually out. I told him that most of my trips are long weekends and sometimes as long as 2 weeks. He said for short durations like I was talking about that brushing with water only was fine. The biggest benefit we get from toothpaste aside from making it more pleasurable due to the taste, was to provide fluoride. Our teeth can go a couple of weeks without a fluoride treatment.

gtg
06-02-2011, 20:23
I have been a fan and user of the Docs stuff for years. Its worth checking out the movie on the history if you ever get the chance. As much as i do use the soap on a daily basis and like the bottle says about multitudes of uses for the stuff I will say brushing my teeth is not going to happen again, Love the stuff but i must second what Ender said to paraphrase Ender " never again"

STICK
06-02-2011, 20:36
Haha...so is it the aftertaste that got yall too then? :)

Honestly, while brushing was not that bad. Kind of bland if anything. But, I am giving it one more shot... just for kicks...

Dobie, thanks for the official word on using h20 only for those periods of time.

Also, on m blog, in one of the comments a guy directed me to the toothpaste dots and they look very interesting too. Check them out here:

http://jjmatheshikes.blogspot.com/2011/04/toothpaste-dots.html#more

Panzer1
06-02-2011, 21:37
I just carry a small tube of tooth paste. I don't care how much it weights. I doesn't really matter that much.
I don't want to brush my teeth with soap when I'm hiking. My teeth deserve the best.
Panzer

bfayer
06-02-2011, 21:47
I was told by my Grandfather a long time ago, just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

Trust me, this falls into that category :)

DrRichardCranium
06-02-2011, 22:32
Yuk. I don't mind carrying a little travel size tube of toothpaste.

Tuckahoe
06-02-2011, 22:47
Yeah I dont get it. Dr Bonners is freaking soap. And really, yer not man enough to carry a couple ounces of toothpaste?

erinjoy777
06-02-2011, 23:10
I liked your video on your blog! I also think the toothpaste dots are very interesting. Might have to try that.

STICK
06-02-2011, 23:12
Yeah I dont get it. Dr Bonners is freaking soap. And really, yer not man enough to carry a couple ounces of toothpaste?

I wouldn't say I am not man enough, as much as I am not afraid to try something that could possibly be used as a multi-use item... I am sure there are worse things than this... Besides, it does say that it can be used to brush your teeth with...

Blissful
06-02-2011, 23:30
Yuk. I don't mind carrying a little travel size tube of toothpaste.

Got that right.

hikingshoes
06-02-2011, 23:57
So, I have read of people using this miracle soap that can be used for anything, from cleaning their (backpacking) kitchens, washing their hair, face, body, clothes and even brushing their teeth with. Then I came across the Dr. Bronners in a recent edition of the Backpacker magazine. I noticed they said they like the peppermint best for using to brush their teeth with.

Now this sounds really great to me. I have been looking for ways to lighten my pack over the last few months, and this really seemed like a multiuse item. So, I figured what the heck and added a 4 oz bottle of the peppermint Dr Bronners soap along with a little 1 oz plastic squirt bottle (to repackage it) to an existing order at REI.

Also, in that same order was a TOOB Brush that I wanted to try. It is a neat little all-in-one toothbrush. It comes with a toothbrush, a plastic housing which also covers the head of the toothbrush and the bottom handle actually houses a tiny tube that can be filled with my own toothpaste. Total, $5.50 and 1 oz empty.

(I also did a video on "How do you brush your teeth?" in which I talked about the TOOB Brush along with some others. If you are interested, you can see it here:

How do you brush your teeth? (http://sticksblog.com/2011/05/29/how-do-you-brush-your-teeth/))

So, my son and I are heading out for an overnight trip tomorrow as soon as I get off of work, and while packing our packs today, I decided to go ahead and repackage the Dr. Bronners. After doing so, I decided to just try brushing my teeth with a little to see what it tasted like.

I used my regular toothbrush and squirted a tiny bit on it. It is not as I had imagined, which was kind of thick liquid like the liquid hand washing soap, but rather pretty thinned out, but not quite as thin as water. First off, I was amazed at how such a tiny amount foamed up so well. I really felt like I was brushing my teeth. The taste was not awful as I had feared either.

So, I finished brushing my teeth and rinsed. Then it got me. It has a very strange and odd aftertaste. Not exactly bad, but no where near good. I can say it was not a pepperminty aftertaste... It made me want to wash my mouth out again with some more water, which didn't really help too much. It took about 5 minutes for the taste to go away.

So, will I use it again, I don't know. The best part of brushing my teeth for me is that nice after taste, especially in the morning! I will take it with my son and I on our trip tomorrow night, and I will use it again the next morning to see how it does for me then. Maybe it will be welcoming when compared to my morning breath. (And don't tell my son, but I am going to let him use it too...see what his response to it is... http://www.backpacker.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif )

Anyway, has anyone else used the Dr. Bronners, or any other do-it-all soap to brush your teeth with? How did it go for you, and do you have a favorite flavor?

Thanks.

LOL, Im glad your my friend STICK!!!!:banana I read something about Dr. Bronners about brushing your teeth and using it to take a bath with. Im so gald you check it out before me!!!! I think im going to use the little tube from wal-mart. BECAUSE YOUR MY FRIEND I'LL LET YOU USE SOME IF YOU LIKE. Great video too. HS

aaronthebugbuffet
06-02-2011, 23:59
I tried it once. I will never, ever, do that to myself again.

Me too. I would have to be far from civ to use it again.
If i forget toothpaste I would just brush with water.

STICK
06-03-2011, 00:05
LOL, Im glad your my friend STICK!!!!:banana I read something about Dr. Bronners about brushing your teeth and using it to take a bath with. Im so gald you check it out before me!!!! I think im going to use the little tube from wal-mart. BECAUSE YOUR MY FRIEND I'LL LET YOU USE SOME IF YOU LIKE. Great video too. HS

Haha... :) Thanks man!

I am waiting for the person to chime in that does use it...I know there are some out there... :-?

Dkeener
06-03-2011, 08:03
Have y'all ever heard of tooth powder? All the benefits of toothpaste without the extra weight. In a pinch baking soda will do the trick too.

One of these days I'll get around to trying to dehydrate toothpaste to make my own powder.

Dennis

AaronMB
06-03-2011, 10:01
I don't find Peppermint Dr.B's too bad for toothpaste, but it's definitely a little odd when compared to the texture, taste, and overall feeling that our American toothpastes usually produce. I'll use it before I pack 'real' toothpaste but I usually use, and like better, Baking Soda for tooth paste.

It works great especially for the short term (some dentists seem to not recommend it for long-term use, as they say it is too abrasive). It's multi-use (rub a pinch under the stinky pits if you must, or make a little bit of paste for bug bites, for example); a teaspoon or two in a small baggy packs small and weighs little.

Rick500
06-03-2011, 10:35
I just use water. And dental floss.

lustreking
06-03-2011, 10:50
I'm usually not out for more than a weekend, so I just use water and don't bother with toothpaste. There's less to carry, and I can brush right before bed and not have to worry about hanging my brush with my food in the dark.

Koinseb
06-03-2011, 10:55
Have y'all ever heard of tooth powder? All the benefits of toothpaste without the extra weight. In a pinch baking soda will do the trick too.

One of these days I'll get around to trying to dehydrate toothpaste to make my own powder.

Dennis

+1 for tooth powder. It's lighter and easier to rinse than toothpaste.

WingedMonkey
06-03-2011, 12:02
You already bought that silly REI toothbrush, you might as well put some paste in it.

:p

STICK
06-03-2011, 16:08
Trust me, I will. I have a 4 day hike in a few weeks that I plan to carry the TOOB brush with me on. For now though I am just trying out some other options...

Windingdown
11-19-2011, 22:56
:cool: I read months ago using soap to brush your teeth was the best thing to do, it softens plaque and keeps teeth white, and kills major germs!! WHICH keeps cavities from forming.... and that dentists are making a killing off of us who use toothpaste no matter who good its suppose to be. SO I got some ivory pure soap, and I started brushing my teeth with it. OH YEAH it did take some getting used to, Im anxious to try the Dr B's, HERE IS THE SECRET TO BRUSHING TEETH WITH SOAP!!! READY? KEEP your head down so soap wont get on your tongue, KEEP IT OFF OF YOUR TONGUE!!! If it does not get on the tongue you cant taste it. I DO NOT use water with my soap either foams up way to much. SOON AS IM done brushing I get baking soda and water and rinse my mouth out with it, I even swallow a bit of baking soda and water, google.com it its good for to help your body balance or something, they have used it to help cure some cancers.. Ok so I get off track easy. LOL.. so add a size of a pea or less on a DRY toothbrush, tilt your head DOWN so anything that comes out of your mouth goes in the sink and NOT back in your mouth.. Use mouth wash after the baking soda, see I love to brush my tongue so I cant do that with the soap so before I rinse with baking soda water I dip my rinsed brush in baking soda and re brush my teeith real quick and my tongue.. I have NEVER had such a GREAT dental check up and my teeth cleaning after a year of waiting (ecomony) It was faster and easier than my normal 6 month ones.. TRY IT!!

Thanks.

Northern Lights
11-20-2011, 00:08
I like Bronners, but not for my teeth. I just carry a small tube of toothpaste. There must be toothpowder out there somewhere.

Spokes
11-20-2011, 01:13
The problem is most people use way too much Dr. Bronners. Just a drop or two at the most is all you need for tooth brushing. Read the faq's on their webpage.

All One!

Stir Fry
11-20-2011, 02:17
Tooth past is only for flavor. Just use water or like I do, a little mouth wash. 2 oz lasts about 15 days and I brush 3 4 times a day.

Bronk
11-20-2011, 04:20
Studies have shown that brushing your teeth with only water is just as effective as using toothpaste.

Majortrauma
11-20-2011, 07:46
I was told by my Grandfather a long time ago, just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

Trust me, this falls into that category :)
Perfect!!!

Majortrauma
11-20-2011, 07:50
I'll say it again...if a small tube of toothpaste is considered a candidate for weight reduction in a hike, you've become obsessed with "the weight" at the expense of enjoying yourself on the hike.

Tinker
11-20-2011, 08:58
I've heard enough stories about brushing with Dr.Bronner's to avoid even thinking about it. Lately I've been taking small tubes of toothpaste on my short section hikes (a week or less). If I were to go out for a couple of weeks (as I did in Maine), I would probably carry baking soda or nothing at all (nothing at all is what I carried in Maine). It's probably ok to brush with water for a couple of weeks. I still have all the teeth I had in 2008, so it can't be that bad. ;)

Camping Dave
11-20-2011, 11:48

If you're not really serious about reducing weight (and if you're bringing liquid soap then you clearly are not) then just bring along a 1oz tube of toothpaste. Soap tastes gross.

RevLee
11-20-2011, 20:39
Baking soda works fine, weighs little, and has no scent so you don't need to bear bag it. Used if for three months last year and the dentist said my teeth looked great afterwards.

johnnybgood
11-20-2011, 21:12
Can you buy an economy size box of baking soda and how much needed for a 3-4 day hike ?

Franco
11-20-2011, 22:50
Another user of Bronner's here but unlike some I did not bother trying it as toothpaste.
Like some I also use baking soda (multi use , particularly good on my feet on the 4th day walking around with wet socks this last week...) but I would recommend to trough hikers to combine that with fluoride pills.
(with baking soda I brush and then swallow)
of course ignore that if you think that fluoride will poison you...
(a film canister does me for 10 days including some deodorant duty .)
Franco

bamboo bob
11-20-2011, 22:54
It's my understanding that Dr. Bonners is not all that biodegradable and is not much better than using motel soap in the back country.

JedHall
07-20-2012, 17:22
I second the votes for baking soda. You can use it as a toothpowder, as a deodorant, and also as a mouthwash base or mild detergent. Great stuff and you won't need to carry much.

Baking soda works fine, weighs little, and has no scent so you don't need to bear bag it. Used if for three months last year and the dentist said my teeth looked great afterwards.

Wise Old Owl
07-20-2012, 19:17
Just brush with water...

MuddyWaters
07-21-2012, 12:44
+1 for baking soda, multi purpose. Does 101 things, including curing cancer (really).

Sandy of PA
07-28-2012, 21:03
Dr. Bronners also makes bar soap. I agree with liquid not being lightest weight, I cut a piece of a bar of Dr. Bronners unscented baby soap for hiking. Great for everything, no scent for bears!

Franco
07-28-2012, 23:53
possibly some have forgotten the meaning of "wash your mouth out with soap !"

Mrs Baggins
07-29-2012, 06:32
I like peppermint but I can barely tolerate Dr Bonners. Used it as a soap/shampoo just one time....felt like I had set my skin/scalp on fire with peppermint oil. :eek: If you're out in Boulder CO take the Celestial Seasonings Tea Factory tour. They'll sometimes open up the big steel door of the "mint" room and let everyone take a deep breath. One big deep breath and you figure out why that room has a big steel door!

theinfamousj
07-29-2012, 11:41
On occasional trips (to the back country and to civilization) I have been known to forget my toothpaste. (NB: I always forget something on a trip.) I have brushed my teeth with soap during those times, and if you keep your tongue well out of the way and rinse well, it isn't that much worse than brushing with straight baking soda. It does tend to foam up a lot more, however.

I ran this by my dentist and he said that a lot of tooth care products leave behind residues and not all of them are useful. He said that the occasional soap brushing removes those residues so makes your enamel more available to the tooth-strengthening fluoride found in other toothpastes and/or municipal drinking water. I will say that I noticed that my teeth, post brushing with soap, were squeeky clean. I cannot say my teeth have ever squeeked with toothpaste.

STICK
08-08-2012, 22:47
If you're not really serious about reducing weight (and if you're bringing liquid soap then you clearly are not) then just bring along a 1oz tube of toothpaste. Soap tastes gross.

To clarify, using liquid soap can, and has been a very good way to lighten my load. I carry a tiny dropper bottle with Dr B which weighs 0.3 oz total. This can be used to wash my hands while on the trail, washing my body while at camp, washing my dishes and even brushing my teeth (although lately I have been carrying dried toothpaste dots with a little baking soda dusted over them).

By using items like this that are very multiuse as well as only bringing what I need, I have lightened my pack weight exponentially...

Here is a previous gear list as an example:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aqh886ycFM9kdHZrUEUyWVdlaGZ0TkRkWUxFWWdMV VE#gid=0

Antonioq
01-11-2013, 03:18
Never used soap for brushing... Is it good using soap for teeth? :confused:

surfnturk
01-11-2013, 07:46
To clarify, using liquid soap can, and has been a very good way to lighten my load. I carry a tiny dropper bottle with Dr B which weighs 0.3 oz total. This can be used to wash my hands while on the trail, washing my body while at camp, washing my dishes and even brushing my teeth (although lately I have been carrying dried toothpaste dots with a little baking soda dusted over them).

By using items like this that are very multiuse as well as only bringing what I need, I have lightened my pack weight exponentially...

Here is a previous gear list as an example:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aqh886ycFM9kdHZrUEUyWVdlaGZ0TkRkWUxFWWdMV VE#gid=0

The only soap I use is Bronners. However, I never use it to brush teeth or clean dishes. Unless you rinse with really hot water every dish, cup, etc will have a pepperminet/soapy taste, but it can be tolerated, Brushing your teeth with it is horrible. Why dont you try it yourself and decide?

Aquaman12
01-11-2013, 12:02
Toothpaste dots. Takes a little pre-hike work but you can take exactly what you need. I use them at home too!

Donde
01-11-2013, 12:15
If you or someone you're close with does a fair bit of international travel, the tiny brushes and colgate tubes you get on AA, BA, and KLM are awesome for hiking.

Camel2012
01-11-2013, 12:27
I also have brushed my teeth with Dr bronners exactly one time, and it wasn't peppermint. Don't remember the flavor, but was disgusting, and left a weird taste in my mouth for half the day.

Sorry, I just have to deal with the extra ounces of my toothpaste.

etboy
01-11-2013, 16:47
I just squeeze the amount I think I'll need for the hike into some cling wrap. Just dab a little onto my brush and reseal. Works great, ultra light.

FarmerChef
01-11-2013, 18:09
I hike with 5 so we bring the little mini tube of toothpaste. We did forget it once on a 3 day and had to brush with Dr. B's. The peppermint part is fine. But if you look closely it's "peppermint hemp." I think it was the hemp part that got me ;) The bad taste did go away after a few. Oh and we do use it to wash our dishes and don't notice much of a residual flavor in any of our foods. Your tastestbuds may vary.