PDA

View Full Version : Ka-Bar Mini Dozier Folding Knife

STICK
06-02-2011, 23:36
I tell ya, it seems the lighter I get, the lighter I want to get...if that makes sense. Don't get me wrong, I am not an ULer (although I am pretty close, and some trips probably am) but I still have a few luxury items that I like to carry...

However, in the process of generally lightening up, I tend to look at everything and ask myself why am I carrying that, and do I really need it? (Isn't this what we should all do though?) Some items I deem as a luxury item such as my Kupilka 21 cup (http://sticksblog.com/gear/kitchen/cups-mugs/kupilka-21-cup/). Sure I can go lighter, but I am not willing to budge on this. Then there are items like my pillow. While I "need" my pillow, I have went from a 10 oz pillow to a 3 oz pillow.

Anyway, over the last few months I have acquired a few (inexpensive) knives, such as the Mora Clipper 840 (http://sticksblog.com/gear/knives-multi-tools/mora-clipper-840/), but recently, that little voice in my head asked if I really needed that much knife. I thought back on all my uses with the knives I had, and came to a conclusion that maybe I could get away with one that is slightly smaller, which would naturally also be slightly lighter.

So, after reading around on different forums I decided on the Ka-Bar Mini Dozier. Small, light, inexpensive and seemed to be well favored. So, I unloaded the whopping $15 for it on Amazon.

I received it a while back, and I must say that I am pretty happy with it overall. It is all that it said it was (small & light) and seems to be pretty solid. So, I decided to do a little write up on it tonight with a few pictures and post it to my blog. If you are interested, you can check it out here:

Ka-Bar Mini Dozier Folding Knife (http://sticksblog.com/gear/knives-multi-tools/ka-bar-mini-dozier-folding-knife/)

So, has anyone else used this little knife? Comments on it?

Skid.
06-03-2011, 19:48
What do you use a knife for? I don't carry one at all, that equals zero ounces.

4Bears
06-03-2011, 21:47
Doesn't look bad but I will stick with my Gerber Magnum LST, if you look that one up you will see why. CRKT makes one simular to the Gerber but I know the Gerber holds an edge seemingly forever. IMO

STICK
06-03-2011, 22:51
Skid,

A knife is something I feel like I should have, for whatever reason I may need it for. But that is me and I don't expect everyone to agree with me on everything... :)

4Bears,

I actually bought a Gerber Paraframe to use as my backpacking knife a while back, but decided to use it as my everyday knife instead, and ended up picking up a few Moras. Great, solid blades and a sweet price with a pretty low weight as well. However, like I said, I have found that I really haven't needed that much knife when I am out...

tuswm
06-04-2011, 18:41
From your blog.....

At this point, the only concern I can imagine having is the handle. From what I can tell, Zytel is a “plastic” made by DuPont and is (from what I can tell) essentially a mixture of nylon and fiber glass. Upon initial impression, I feel like it will be suitable for the task in which I will be using it for, but I do imagine that if anything were to truly fail on this knife, it would be the handle. But only time will tell…

I saw where you commented about the plastic handle. I was looking for a small light knife and was even considering a <2 oz benchmade 530 for $90. Even though the bench made had a metal frame on one side it was flimsy. I could easily bend the joint of the knife. I was not confident in the knife for any hard cutting. But I ran across the kershaw chill. I wrote a little review here on WB. The link is at the bottom of the post. But my favorite thing about this knife was it was much stronger that any other knife in its size and weight class. Aslo around $15 on amazon. check out my review see what you think.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=72750

STICK
06-04-2011, 20:31
tuswm,

I just checked that out. Cool knife their. For $16 I don't think it can be beat...now I may have to look at one of those... :)

WingedMonkey
06-04-2011, 21:38
My current favorite pocket knife. Zippo (they own case knives now). All stainless steel. 4 1/8" open, 2 1/2" closed, 1.25 ounces

tuswm
06-05-2011, 00:20
ps nice blog. I have been there many times.

STICK
06-05-2011, 00:31
Thanks Tuswm.

goody5534
06-05-2011, 19:41
Gerber LMF and BenchMade Griptillian 551. Well protected and able todo anything u want on any trail with this combo...

Panzer1
06-06-2011, 19:34
the most useful knife to have on the trail is a table knife, for making food.

Panzer