PDA

View Full Version : Richmond and Waitsfield

stranger
06-03-2011, 10:09
Can someone give me a recent update on grocercies in each of these towns, I've thru-hiked before, interested in information on the markets in both towns, thanks...

Rough
06-03-2011, 19:29
Waistfield has 2 regular grocery stores in town on Route 100: Shaw's (chain), and Meheuron's (independent). In the same shopping area as Meheuron's (east side of 100) is a natural foods store called Sweet Pea, which also has sandwiches and hot lunch items. There is also a Mobil station (west side of Route 100) with a small convenience store called the Irasville Country Store. And the 3 Mountain Cafe serves coffee, pastries, and sandwich items.

Waitsfield's Route 100 junction with Route 17 is 7 miles east of Appalachian Gap.

If you're in town on Saturday from 9 to 1 the Waitsfield Farmer's Market has all kinds of good things to eat plus live entertainment.

StubbleJumper
06-05-2011, 17:40
I overnighted last year in Richmond at Mama Bower's B&B. The Bowers are great people, highly recommended.

There is a full-fledged supermarket in town with pretty much anything you'd want to buy, as well as a liquor outlet (another essential!). There are 3 or 4 restaurants to choose from, but I liked the Bridge Street Cafe's burgers and beer. Free internet at the library. The town is compact, so everything is within easy walking distance.

Papa Bower picked me up at the Jonesville PO and dropped me off there the next morning after a hearty breakfast (Mama Bower fed me within an inch of my life....I almost died while climbing Bolton Mountain lol!). Richmond was a nice stop, with all services and easy logistics.