PDA

View Full Version : what foods did you eat on your last trip?

mcskinney
06-03-2011, 19:43
I'm trying to get out of a trail food rut, and looking for unique ideas. There are a few things I'm going to try this weekend from trailcooking.com, but I also wanted to know what made it into your packs your last time out? Hopefully this will all help with my menu planning for my Colorado Trail trip this July.

Thanks!

58starter
06-03-2011, 19:47
oatmeal, powdered milk and cereal, breakfastbars, peanut butter, tortia bread, propell, chicken in foil, mountain house meals, coffee. 3min pasta

sbhikes
06-03-2011, 19:57
I think I ate my last pot of macaroni and cheese for a while. I've been in a rut with that. I make my own recipe and use fancy cheese, but I think I finally got tired of it.

I ate grapenuts with added nuts and instant chai tea for breakfast,
probars for lunch
Dr. Krackers for lunch or snacks,
I brought instant hummus to go with the crackers but didn't eat it,
Mac and cheese - my own recipe
The cheese I brought was fancy real parmesan, not the stuff in a can but the kind you buy as a chunk in a cheese shop. Packs really well and tastes great.

Good luck to you!

Sierra Echo
06-03-2011, 20:03
I think I ate my last pot of macaroni and cheese for a while. I've been in a rut with that. I make my own recipe and use fancy cheese, but I think I finally got tired of it.

I ate grapenuts with added nuts and instant chai tea for breakfast,
probars for lunch
Dr. Krackers for lunch or snacks,
I brought instant hummus to go with the crackers but didn't eat it,
Mac and cheese - my own recipe
The cheese I brought was fancy real parmesan, not the stuff in a can but the kind you buy as a chunk in a cheese shop. Packs really well and tastes great.

Good luck to you!

Do they still sell grapenuts? I havent eaten cereal in years but I was at the grocery store Monday and for some reason grapenuts entered my mind so I went to go buy some and couldn't find it! Maybe they just don't carry them at wally world?

Jonnycat
06-03-2011, 20:20
I've been eating oatmeal for breakfast for a couple of decades, and it's a rut I am happy to be in. In the last couple of years, however, I have added a shake with breakfast, which is powdered milk, whey powder, CIB, and hershey's cocoa, which adds some additional protein and other goodies to keep me pushing for many hours.

4Bears
06-03-2011, 21:40
Oat meal, hot tea for breakfast, while eating heat some more water to make a strong tea for lunch that I add water to about a half ltr. of tea and half additional water. Peanut butter and honey on half a pita bread for lunch if I'm still hungry a handful or two of GORP. Mountain House for supper, maybe some tea later with a snack bar and a vitamin I supplement.

Jersey Tim
06-03-2011, 21:50
If your meals work for you nutritionally but you're just bored with them, add something new for a little zing. Bacon bits are excellent with most things, including gorp and potato-based dishes. Hot sauce (even the mild kind, if you're less wild) adds character to pretty much anything.

Winged
06-03-2011, 22:12
Do they still sell grapenuts?

I'm eating them this very moment. Great food. 1/2 cup 200 calories. 7g of fiber, 6g of protein. Less than 1g of fat, which I like.

Now I'm sure someone here is going to say they pour olive oil on their Grape Nuts. :D

d.o.c
06-03-2011, 22:22
mashd taters with ramen and crushed potatoe chips all mixd together mmmmmmmmmmmm!.

Sierra Echo
06-03-2011, 22:23
I'm eating them this very moment. Great food. 1/2 cup 200 calories. 7g of fiber, 6g of protein. Less than 1g of fat, which I like.

Now I'm sure someone here is going to say they pour olive oil on their Grape Nuts. :D

Where did you get them???

Beachcomber
06-03-2011, 22:39
In NC, Harris-Teeter carries Grape Nuts.

leaftye
06-03-2011, 22:49
My custom Sir Mix-a-lot powdered drink and gorp. Same as always. It's great stuff, but my next batch of powdered drink will have a caloric density that's 10-15% greater, and better tasting too.

Winged
06-03-2011, 22:53
Where did you get them???

I can buy them at any grocery store in my area. They are on the shelf with all the other cereals.

I do seem to recall, after not eating them for awhile, that I couldn't find them. I think I finally learned they changed the box.

WingedMonkey
06-03-2011, 23:05
Do they still sell grapenuts? I havent eaten cereal in years but I was at the grocery store Monday and for some reason grapenuts entered my mind so I went to go buy some and couldn't find it! Maybe they just don't carry them at wally world?

Publix and Winn Dixie have them, Winn Dixie also has their own brand not sure about Publix.

WingedMonkey
06-03-2011, 23:22

That half cup is 58 grams in weight or about 2 ounces for 200 calories. The pouched tuna we all carry is only 70 calories per 2.5 ounces. Makes a great snack dry, or mixed with yogurt at a road stop.

Winged
06-04-2011, 00:21
That half cup is 58 grams in weight or about 2 ounces for 200 calories. The pouched tuna we all carry is only 70 calories per 2.5 ounces. Makes a great snack dry, or mixed with yogurt at a road stop.

I love tuna; it's a great source of protein. The pouched tuna I have in front of me - 2oz, 56g, 56 cal., 14grams protein

The Grape Nuts - 1/2 cup, 58g, 200cal, 6g protein, 48g carbs (7g fiber)

Not sure if your intent was to compare the foods or not. Both food provide our bodies good nutrition. The Grade Nuts provide 3.4 cal per gram. The tuna provides 1 cal per gram.

I'm glad my diet isn't limited to a single food.

WingedMonkey
06-04-2011, 01:54
I love tuna; it's a great source of protein. The pouched tuna I have in front of me - 2oz, 56g, 56 cal., 14grams protein

The Grape Nuts - 1/2 cup, 58g, 200cal, 6g protein, 48g carbs (7g fiber)

Not sure if your intent was to compare the foods or not. Both food provide our bodies good nutrition. The Grade Nuts provide 3.4 cal per gram. The tuna provides 1 cal per gram.

I'm glad my diet isn't limited to a single food.

My point was that now that tuna and salmon is available out of the can we all carry it, just like smoked sausage and pepperoni. The calories for the weight is pathetic. We do it because we think we need an animal protein. I am not a vegetarian and eat a lot of dead animals but the tuna we all love is a lot of useless weight even out of the can. On a long distance hike I want calories for the weight. I also want calcium and protein like you say. Cheddar cheese is 220 calories for 56 grams pack weight and 14 grams of protein. Peanut butter comes in at 315 calories per 56 grams with 12 grams of protein.
I still use pouched tuna and like the variety, but at 56 calories for 56 grams or 2 ounces it doesn't provide squat for energy.

So There I Was
06-04-2011, 05:16
My point was that now that tuna and salmon is available out of the can we all carry it, just like smoked sausage and pepperoni. The calories for the weight is pathetic. We do it because we think we need an animal protein. I am not a vegetarian and eat a lot of dead animals but the tuna we all love is a lot of useless weight even out of the can. On a long distance hike I want calories for the weight. I also want calcium and protein like you say. Cheddar cheese is 220 calories for 56 grams pack weight and 14 grams of protein. Peanut butter comes in at 315 calories per 56 grams with 12 grams of protein.
I still use pouched tuna and like the variety, but at 56 calories for 56 grams or 2 ounces it doesn't provide squat for energy.

That is a great point...And I never have looked at it that way. When you are burning calories like you most likely will be on the trail, you have to consider the weight to calorie to protien benefit. It is almost is simple economics really.
What about some of the high calorie wieght gainers that are at GNC? You can baggie that stuff and get about 320 Calories per serving with about ~30gr of protien. I wouldn't live off of it, but it two or three times a week should be good...

garlic08
06-04-2011, 09:08
I go stoveless on summer hikes. My food load is homemade muesli cereal (oats, nuts, dried fruit, powdered milk), tortillas, cheese or peanut butter, instant potatoes, fig newtons, crackers or chips, hummus or refried beans, cashews, raisins, a sandwich and some boiled eggs for the first day or two. My kitchen consists of a plastic cup and spoon. I also repackage everything so there is no waste in my pack, except for the cheese wrapper or peanut butter jar.

sbhikes
06-04-2011, 09:58
Grapenuts are available just about everywhere as far as I can tell. And lots of stores sell their own store brand of it which is just as good. Nice thing about Grapenuts is it packs well. You can't turn it to crumbs. It's already crumbs!

Winged
06-04-2011, 10:49
On a long distance hike I want calories for the weight.

We're on the same page. I think there is one other factor and I'll save it for another thread because I don't want to hijack mcskinney's thread.

The original post was asking:

I'm trying to get out of a trail food rut, and looking for unique ideas. There are a few things I'm going to try this weekend from trailcooking.com, but I also wanted to know what made it into your packs your last time out? Hopefully this will all help with my menu planning for my Colorado Trail trip this July.

Bear Cables
06-04-2011, 11:12
Lately I am enjoying Niles Spice soups, tomato cup of soup, humus, sandwich rounds, ready made tuna salad in the pouch and of course instant oatmeal with walnuts added. Minimus.biz sells a very good humus in an individual serving tube. You can also get the individual tubes of PBJ. Also Fresh Market sells these really good dehydrated veggie sticks.

doritotex
06-04-2011, 12:16
Where did you get them???In the grocery store, in the cereal aisle, next to the Corn Flakes, Fruits Loops and Coco Puffs. They have always been there, Grape Nuts have never gone away..they are still there on the shelf!

Ender
06-04-2011, 13:59
My last trip I froze a steak, wrapped it in plastic wrap and a bunch of layers of paper for insulation, and my first night out after a day of very slowly thawing (it was almost completely thawed right when we got to camp) I cooked it over a fire that night. Also cooked up some instant mashed potatoes. It was freakin' delicious.

Other trips I've brought linguini noodles, a little olive oil, and a packet of instant pesto noodles to make pesto. Also great.

Those Indian dishes in foil packets are really good too. A little heavy, but a great change of pace.

I just got so sick of ramen and Lipton dinners and mac'n'cheese... can't do them any more.

Enic
06-04-2011, 14:36
Just got back from an overnight. Ten miles out and back. We ate the normal mango and banana chips, nuts, etc. The hot meal was spaggetti with spinach, onion and olive oil. With the a little salt and pepper, it tastes better than some resturaunt quality meals!

Another one of my favorites is egg noodles, dehydrated mushrooms, and a hunter sauce mix. Even better with some pork... however you want to mix it in. (fresh chop, bacon, pork jerky, etc.)

Sierra Echo
06-04-2011, 20:25
In the grocery store, in the cereal aisle, next to the Corn Flakes, Fruits Loops and Coco Puffs. They have always been there, Grape Nuts have never gone away..they are still there on the shelf!

Uh I was asking what grocery store. *snicker*

Sierra Echo
06-04-2011, 20:26
I can buy them at any grocery store in my area. They are on the shelf with all the other cereals.

I do seem to recall, after not eating them for awhile, that I couldn't find them. I think I finally learned they changed the box.

Oh! I was looking for the white box! I will have to look again! :eek:

Del Q
06-04-2011, 21:03
I went no-cook about a year ago, carnation chocolate (2) for breakfast, great gorp (there are all kinds of great dried fruits and nuts available today, heavier on walnuts, coconut for sure), spam single serving, pita bread, sharp cheddar in small foil paks, mustard packets borrowed from the road stops (got Nathan's spicy mustard last time), corn nuts, soy nuts, nutella or Peanut Butter, chorizo or some kind of lighter weight meat, beef jerky, definitely large hard pretzels, hummus powder, bars (protein, snickers, etc). Its ultimately fuel and calories, I section hike for about 2 weeks per trip, the above is living large compared to how a few billion people eat each day.

Not cooking is lighter, simpler, I can hike later, do not need to be near water for cleaning up.

That's my story and I'm sticking to if as of now.

mcskinney
06-05-2011, 23:53
thanks for the responses everyone. I'm starting to see the allure of stoveless as well. I could save nearly ¾ of a pound going without a stove. I'm thinking about my eating habits and I always seem to eat my snacks first while in the back country, so why not eat snacks for ALL my meals? I've got some things to ponder I guess.

mcskinney
06-10-2011, 19:47
So I'm going to try a quick stove-less trip this sat-mon. So in the spirit of my original post this is what I'm packing for food.

Whole-grain Tortillas
Peanut butter
honey
granola
gorp
jerky
few nutri-grain bars
Nido and CIB
propel paks

mcskinney
06-10-2011, 19:51
So I'm going to try a quick stove-less trip this sat-mon. So in the spirit of my original post this is what I'm packing for food.

Whole-grain Tortillas
Peanut butter
honey
granola
gorp
jerky
few nutri-grain bars
Nido and CIB
propel paks

Oh and gummy bears and bourbon

general
06-10-2011, 20:46
oatmeal and grits for breakfast with coffee. summer sausage with pepper jack cheese with mayonase and mustard on a tortilla for lunch. mountain house for supper. gorp, smoke oysters and smoked salmon for snacks. 4 liters of wine.

JAK
06-10-2011, 20:59
In my main container I had oatmeal mixed with some skim milk powder, dates, and almonds. I could pick out the dates and almonds when I needed a quick snack. In a smaller container I had ovaltine mixed with skim milk powder. In another smaller container I had lentils mixed with dried vegetables and dried herbs, mostly parsley. Then I had some smaller containers with tea, my tea strainer, and some spices like cardamom, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, anise, black pepper corns, and cloves. I ate it all different ways, and eventually would have nested the containers within each other as I ate my way through it, but my trip ended halfway due to a overly agressive birch tree.

harryfred
06-10-2011, 21:39
Two nights from now my main course will be sliced turkey breast (Buddig), bacon (Oscar Mayer real bacon) Provolone cheese, sliced cucumber, tomato, and ranch dressing on a tomato basil wrap. I will also finish the last of the cucumber and tomato, with some cheese and nuts and pretzels.Wash it all down with some Gatoraide. this will be my second night on the trail. I go stoveless in the summer.

general
06-11-2011, 18:16
coffee keeps me from going stove less.

Farr Away
06-13-2011, 15:58
Milkshake on the way to the trailhead, then sharp cheese, crackers & a granola bar for lunch. Thai Chicken Curry Rice & green tea for supper. Cereal bar, granola bar and coffee for breakfast.

-FA

VeggieHead
06-14-2011, 08:00
From a recent one nighter with my wife:

Night dinner: Soy burger + bell pepper fried in olive oil, put in flour tortillas, topped with cheddar cheese

apple sauce for breakfast + oatmeal/soy bar

raman noodle, mashed potatoes + cheddar cheese, dried fruit for lunch

Transition Bob
06-14-2011, 11:14
I have tried making Mac & Cheese FBC style with Kraft Mac & Cheese, and it doesn't seem to turn out right - too watery. Does anyone have any suggestions how to do it? Also, what brand is most popular?

Two Tents
06-14-2011, 12:00
It ain't cheap and ya gotta make it ahead but- A Cliff bar rolling pin rolled flat between wax paper (1/4") then add extra nuts,dates,dried berries, raisins, dates, ect. I like pepper jerky finely chopped. Then fold over and roll to set the extras. Hand seal the edges if ya have to so the M&Ms won't leak and make the size bar ya want and wrap in plastic wrap or waxed paper. If you add the right stuff you can get a high calorie, lunch on the go bar.

Papa D
06-14-2011, 21:26
Fantastic foods instant re-fried beans plus Pasta sides taco rice, cook, mix in tortilla and add the key ingredient - pirate a ton of "fire sauce" from your neighborhood taco bell and zip lock that stuff up - buy a cup of beans or something if it makes you feel better - they don't care though.

BigRing
06-16-2011, 11:05
Here is one for ya:

1/2 package of Borelli (sp?) dried tortellini, dehydrated ground beef (I use venison), some dehydrated peppers (I like a mix of red/green) and 1 tbl spn of Knorr 3 cheese mix.

Package 1/2 C of the meat in a ziplock add water and let it rehydrate while the tortellin is cooking. Just when the tortellini is nearly done, add the meat, peppers, and Knorr mix to the pot. The Knorr mix will thicken and make a delicious gravy........Mmmmmmm!