PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me?

Uncle Walkie
06-03-2011, 22:24
Is it just me or does anyone else really enjoy playing with their gear?

I don't get to go backpacking nearly as much as I'd like, but I can frequently be found in the garage or back yard packing/unpacking my gear, or cooking a quick lunch on my stove, or playing with different methods of packing my pack....

anyone else that way?

WalksInDark
06-03-2011, 23:10
Guilty as charged.

It seems as if....by the time I actually get to the trailhead, the time I thought I would have to arrange and re-arrange my gear, has been lost somewhere along the way.

If I don't fuss with the stuff on non hike day, it would never get done. LOL

Country Roads
06-05-2011, 19:09
Yep! Love tweaking my gear or technique. Perfectly normal behavior; I think :-?

mweinstone
06-05-2011, 19:16
we do not play my dears,..... we preen.

mweinstone
06-05-2011, 19:19
mutual of ohmaha taught us cub wolves "play" at skills they will aquire. truly this was a misslead. the cubs preened their already inside skills from when they are first loves, and later skills. we dont love our gear or play. we preen gear to love our kill with is th blaze and the carrin and the path and the bushwack and the first rought and ascent and even spacemen do it at nasa all day long! play? preen.

DBCFlash
06-06-2011, 10:06
I'm just about to go make breakfast with my penny stove, just to make sure it all still works.

Spider
06-06-2011, 10:11
The ratio of me messing with my gear to actually backpacking is way off. Need to fix that.

Deadeye
06-06-2011, 10:12
Practice makes perfect!

virgil
06-06-2011, 10:14
A longing to be back on the trail. That's what it is for me. Sometimes monkeying around with my gear (or WhiteBlaze) is as close as I can get. And yes, I do sometimes cook dinner on my trail stove. Isn't that nornal?

sbhikes
06-06-2011, 12:19
I do a lot more backpacking than playing with my gear. I really need to set up my tent and fix it, but I just don't seem to get around to it. I'll probably be out on a trip trying to set it up and be forced to fix it then.

I will admit to spending time trying to make new gear though.

Dobie Swift
06-06-2011, 12:41
I oft times will try out a new trail recipe as my lunch here at work. My office mates think I'm a special needs adult.... perhaps I am.

max patch
06-06-2011, 13:01
No. Never.

hikerboy57
06-06-2011, 13:12
Ill go into my gear room every couple of days, stare at all my gear, remind myself to get out and use it. My bigger sin is going shopping for new gear, even though I have 2 tents, 3 sleeping bags, 3 pads, 5 packs of varying capacities, 2 stoves, half empty fuel canisters 4 pairs of boots, etc..REI just opened a new store on LI. As I had never been there, I was anxious to see what I needed to fill on, and left with no new purchases.But I might go again next week, just to be sure.

Rain Man
06-06-2011, 16:52

It's just you! :D

Although, Horace Kephart from a hundred years ago may disagree with me (from the 1917 edition of his "Camping and Woodcraft"):

"Solomon himself knew the heart of man no better than that fine old sportsman who said to me 'It isn't the fellow who's catching lots of fish and shooting plenty of game that's having a good time: it's the chap who's getting ready to do it.'" preface

Link to post in another thread with more of these quotes from Kephart's book. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1102448&postcount=41)

P.S. I very much agree with you and Kephart!!! :D

Rain:sunMan

Mags
06-06-2011, 19:40

I enjoy using it...but once it is in my gear room/closet/bin whatever, I am pretty much done with it until the next trip. Of course, I am lucky enough where I get to use my gear a lot. :D

Dogwood
06-06-2011, 20:41

....Umm! Never mind!

Lone Wolf
06-06-2011, 20:44

I don't get to go backpacking nearly as much as I'd like, but I can frequently be found in the garage or back yard packing/unpacking my gear, or cooking a quick lunch on my stove, or playing with different methods of packing my pack....

anyone else that way?

it's just walkin'. i play wit my Pings a lot more.