PDA

View Full Version : How to get home????

yotarunner77
06-04-2011, 05:11
I have my whole 2012 nobo through hike all planed out but never once did I think what to do once finished. How do I get home???? I see that there is an airport in Millinocket, ME and I am guessing there is some sort of shuttle in the area but do not know. Does anyone have any advice on how to get home???

TJ aka Teej
06-04-2011, 08:03
It's not a commercial airport.
A local hostel owner shows up around 4:30 every day at Katahdin Stream to shuttle hikers back to town. From there you can taxi out to Medway and catch a bus south to Bangor or Portland for a plane or train home.

Spokes
06-04-2011, 08:28
Any chance friends or relative could meet you at the finish? It a fun experience if you can coordinate it.

doheir
06-04-2011, 09:22
I'd seriously consider hitchhiking. Make up a small cardboard sign and use it in Baxter right before or after the Togue Pond gate where everyone is exiting the park. If you wrote "Bangor Airport" or "Bangor Bus Station" on your sign, you'd likely have a ride from fellow campers within a half hour. You could ascertain whether the ride will take you all the way there and politely decline rides that may leave you elsewhere.

Otherwise, there's not much public transportation. The bus at Medway is about an hour drive from Baxter, and about 12 miles from Millinocket. I doubt that it runs more than once a day.

Once you get to Bangor, you have the choice of Concord Coach (my favorite) that makes 3-4 runs to Boston daily. Greyhound has a similar schedule, but a slower route that makes more stops. Once you get to Boston, you have an array of buses, including MegaBus that goes from Boston to Philadelphia for $10 and Bolt Bus that will get you there in 2 legs for about $25.

yotarunner77
06-04-2011, 11:20
It's not a commercial airport.
A local hostel owner shows up around 4:30 every day at Katahdin Stream to shuttle hikers back to town. From there you can taxi out to Medway and catch a bus south to Bangor or Portland for a plane or train home.

Ok....I take it when you say train you mean amtrak???? That would be cool to take that home because that's how I am getting to springer

wcgornto
06-04-2011, 11:34
The bus from Medway to Bangor is CYR bus lines.

http://www.cyrbustours.com/CyrBusLines-Schedule.htm

It stops at Medway at 9:30 AM and stops at Concord Trailways, Bangor at 10:50 AM ... across the street from the Bangor airport.

The Appalachian Trail Lodge in Millinocket has a thruhiker special that includes shuttle from Baxter, stay at lodge, breakfast and shuttle to Medway.

http://www.appalachiantraillodge.com/appalachian_trail/thru-hikers.php

I hiked SOBO and this is how I made my way to Baxter. It should work just as well the other way.

For me, it was efficient and Paul & Jamie were great hosts.

10-K
06-04-2011, 13:37
The truth is, you don't get to leave Maine... Everybody that lives in ME is either a former thru hiker or the descendant of a thru hiker.

That's how they keep the population up... :)