PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on a lightweight 35 mm Digital...

nawlunz
06-04-2011, 14:40
camera....I like taking good photographs, and like to put settings on manual and play around with filters, etc, to get good effects.

I am also trying to go lighter...MUCH LIGHTER...my old Canon just doesn't pass the weight test for this year..will be out over three weeks. I need suggestions for a versatile lightweight 35 mm camera allowing manual use.

THANKS

leaftye
06-04-2011, 18:51
A 35 mm sensor that's the same size as film is called a full frame. If it even exists in a small form factor, I bet you'd pay at least several thousand dollars for it.

Or did you really mean a camera with a 35 mm lens equivalent? If so, the Canon S95 is a popular ultralight compact camera.

ChinMusic
06-04-2011, 19:27
A 35 mm sensor that's the same size as film is called a full frame. If it even exists in a small form factor, I bet you'd pay at least several thousand dollars for it.

I got the Canon 5D Mark II but only take it on photog trips.....like out west. It is full frame and 2-3 thou, can't remember. Mates well with the 17-40 for landscapes. I haven't seen the need on the AT, where I just bring my cell phone.

bigcranky
06-04-2011, 20:31
If what you want is a digital SLR with interchangeable lenses, the new Micro 4/3 systems might interest you. They are half the size and weight of full frame and APS cameras, but they still have a large enough sensor for high quality photography and control over depth of field.

We have a Panasonic G1 and GF1 and four or five lenses, including the excellent 20mm f/1.7, which is a fast normal-to-slightly-wide lens.

The latest version is the Panasonic G3 (http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonicdmcg3/), which should start shipping this month.

Ramble~On
06-04-2011, 20:42
I second the Canon 5D Mark II but not for backpacking! - too heavy, bulky.
I really like the Canon Powershot cameras for hiking. Light, cheap, good image quality and most allow for control of aperature, shutter or full manual. I used a Powershot A590IS on my thru hike and have no complaints. Advanced lithium AA batteries seem to last forever.

leaftye
06-04-2011, 20:51
I got the Canon 5D Mark II but only take it on photog trips.....like out west. It is full frame and 2-3 thou, can't remember. Mates well with the 17-40 for landscapes. I haven't seen the need on the AT, where I just bring my cell phone.

That's a huge camera though. Since he said lighter, I assume that also means somewhat compact. I just did a search and it looks like the Leica M9 fits that role, but at $6-7000.

nawlunz
06-05-2011, 18:16

Or did you really mean a camera with a 35 mm lens equivalent? If so, the Canon S95 is a popular ultralight compact camera.

35 mm lens equivalent camera. I will look into the Canon S95

LDog
06-05-2011, 21:12
Here's a great review on some great digital cameras.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q42010highendcompactgroup/

Not SLR format. No interchangable lenses, but excellent imagery with a reasonable trade off in weight. They're more of a high-end/enthusiast/luxury compact point and shoot. They allow one to capture RAW format, have great image engines, great lenses, offer a great deal of manual control, and are smaller and lighter than the SLRs.

http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/Q42010highendcompactgroup/Images/intro-001.jpg

The one for which I have had an unrequited lust in my heart is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5. The f2.0-4.9 lens is the fastest of the group, and the widest at 24-90mm (35mm equiv). OTOH, the Canon is smaller and 40 gr lighter than the Panasonic. The lens is 28-105 (35mm equiv) which while not as wide as the Panasonic, is a very useful range. The Lumix is available for $400 on Amazon, while the S95 is $418.

Not cheap. But both are lighter and smaller than my current Lumix, while offering raw capture which my Lumix does not ... Which provides that thread of rationalization I need to work down the path towards pulling the trigger!:D

LDog
06-05-2011, 21:17
URL="http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonicdmcg3/"]The latest version is the Panasonic G3[/URL], which should start shipping this month.

That's nice!