PDA

View Full Version : Sore Muscles

Mother Natures Son
06-04-2011, 16:18
After a long hike, my legs feel tired and sore. I'm looking for something to help them feel better without smelling like a old age home. Something natural without all junk in today's stuff. Has anyone tried anything other then Bengay or products like it?

hikerboy57
06-04-2011, 16:32
Advil, and eat some carbs within a half hour of stopping.I use tiger balm for aches, but it does smell

aaronthebugbuffet
06-04-2011, 16:37
Advil, and eat some carbs within a half hour of stopping.I use tiger balm for aches, but it does smell

Carbs immediately. Look into foam rollers.
Epsom salt bath.

Carbo
06-04-2011, 16:49
Your body is telling you something.

Sit back and enjoy the feeling of being alive. Do another hike after a day or so of rest, then repeat.

Maintain the carbs and mineral replacements.

Pedaling Fool
06-04-2011, 17:40
I think it's all BS, but since you asked....http://video.foxnews.com/v/3943801/natural-pain-killers/

Namaste
06-04-2011, 18:02
At the end of my hikes I usually just soak in my jacuzzi with epsom salts. Of course, a regular bath tub with epsom salts works well too. Sometimes a glass of wine or a vodka tonic on the side :). There is a natural product called arnica that comes in a creme form used to massage pain in aching muscles. I've used it but not sure if it's the creme that's helping or just the massage.

Dogwood
06-04-2011, 18:15
I think, barring any underlying more serious medical condition(s), what you are referring to is inflammation in your muscles. Some studies are pointing to inflammation in various areas of the body being correlated with a great variety of illnesses.

You might try something with capsaicin that does not have the added "fragrances." Comes in topical gels, lotions, creams etc. Also, quite possibly, self sticking patches.

Along the same line as topical patches you might try Tiger Balm or Salon Pas patches. Tiger Balm, obviously, also comes in a balm/ointment. I sometimes carry a 1/2 oz TINY can of Tiger Balm. The Salon Pas patches I've sometimes used have menthol and Methyl salicylate(an NSAID), topical analgesics.

Might also try something with Arnica montana in it. Also comes in topical form but also in capsules. The topical works for mild muscle soreness, FOR ME.

ALWAYS, on trail, I carry MSM(methylsulfonylmethane). I take anywhere up to 10,000 mg per day CUMMULATIVELY. I break down how much I take at any one time though choosing to take smaller dosages at a time. MSM goes a LONG way in assisting my sore muscles to recover sharply!

You might also try eating more foods, and for that matter make lifestyle choices, both on and off trail, that DO NOT create a pro inflammatory response. Eat foods, containing Bromelain, like pineapples, or foods rich in anti-oxidants, like dark berries, or foods known to contain anti-inflammatory agents like curcumin in turmeric root. It can't be emphasized enough to drink appropriate amounts of clear clean spring water. Water to your body, especially muscles, is like oil to a car engine; it lubricates!

I liked your response Carbo! That slight muscle soreness associated with a long hike and being outdoors in the fresh air immersed in the natural scenery of forests, mountains, and running water lets's me know I"M ALIVE!

jbwood5
06-04-2011, 19:02
Honestly, the best think you can do for sore muscles is to ice them or submerge your legs in very cold stream water for 10-15 minutes.
Soreness is caused by tiny micro-tears to the muscle fiber which causes the heat and inflammation. Cooling the area reduces inflammation and promotes blood circulation which brings nutrition to the damaged areas which helps speed recovery.

As mentioned by others, eating food with protein right after your run or hike will help too, but ice is the best remedy for relief.

Jonnycat
06-04-2011, 20:38
Carbs immediately.

This, after you stretch and get cleaned up. If you are still having the problem even after you have trained, you need a more nutritious diet, likely with more protein.

Gaiter
06-04-2011, 22:33
vitmin I and/or yoga (before during and after nice way to stretch muscles)

Jersey Tim
06-04-2011, 22:58
Bananas. Peel, open mouth, insert banana, nom-nom-nom; repeat as needed. Speaking as a long-distance runner, their potassium does good things for sore large-muscle groups.

Winged
06-04-2011, 23:18
You're getting lots of good (and natural) advice ;)

You don't want to be a couch potato tomorrow. Take a little walk. As someone pointed out, your body has to heal from the muscle tears, so don't do anything rigorous for a 24-48 hours. Typically the older the longer the recovery. Also, you might want to elevate your feet.

Dogwood
06-04-2011, 23:21
Nom-nom-nom! LOL! That sounds like the most recent addition to my extended family, my newly born nephew, breastfeeding!

fiddlehead
06-05-2011, 07:02
Arnica
....enough said.............

sarman
06-05-2011, 07:37
ibuprofen, massage, water, food rest, and then more hiking. :)

Walkintom
06-05-2011, 08:34
Creamagesic. We used to call it Creamajesus.

It'll get your attention when the heat kicks in but it always took care of muscle soreness for me.

sbhikes
06-05-2011, 10:56
Pain is just weakness leaving the body. Nothing to be concerned with. Your muscles are building up and you are getting in shape. It goes away on its own.

Panzer1
06-05-2011, 12:18
eat something with protein. The theory being that your body can use this protein to help repair torn muscle fibers.

Panzer