PDA

View Full Version : National Trails Day

garlic08
06-04-2011, 18:01
Anyone do anything special for National Trails Day? I just got back from a half day building new tread for the PCT--the Prescott Circle Trail, that is. It's a work in progress. This section was on Prescott National Forest land and two rangers led a crew of 13 volunteers, mainly a mountain biking group.

They say you hike trail by the mile, and build it by the foot. I figure I owe a couple of miles of trail construction if that's true. Great day to work on the karma balance.

Rocket Jones
06-04-2011, 18:55
I helped build a footbridge on the new connector trail between the Metz wetlands and Leesylvania state park. Not sure how much trail was completed in all, but today linked up two existing pieces of the Potomac Heritige Trail system here in Northern Virginia.

Red Hat
06-04-2011, 19:18
I worked with the GATC in Vogel State Park. We did the trail to the falls, then cut down trees in the camping area. Great day! thanks GATC for letting me participate.

Rain Man
06-04-2011, 22:53
Here ya go. Photos of my day hauling gravel uphill in wheelbarrows, helping rebuild steps--

National Trails Day at Radnor Lake State Natural Area, Nashville, Tennessee. (http://www.meetup.com/backpackers-166/photos/1748571/29377951/)

Just found out we even made it into The Tennessean (its web site) -- "Outdoors volunteers put their backs into where their feet go" (http://www.tennessean.com/article/20110604/NEWS11/110604008/1969/NEWS).

Rain:sunMan

Driver8
06-04-2011, 23:00
No trail maintenance today - most CT activities were hikes, with a few trail maint/building opportunities. Joined a led group hike getting as far up Sages Ravine Trail from Rt. 41 in Salisbury as possible. We made it about 2/3 mile up, to near the Conn-Mass state line, taking the trail, such as it is, which runs along the south side of the brook. Beautiful, with very iffy footing in places.

B/c we were a mixed group, with a few older folks, the leader turned us around at the second major waterfall. We had hoped to go all the way up to the Campsite on the AT, but better safe than sorry. I intend to get back out there and go all the way up, with a friend or two (I hear there's a hairy 10' scramble/rock climb or two), then descend via U/mtn or Race Brook.

After that mid-day hike, I then ascended Lion's Head via A.T. from Rt. 41, continuing to Ball Brook and taking lots of pics of the fire-affected area, plus numerous vista shots and such. Will post as soon as possible. About 9 miles of hiking today, and a first rate day for hiking in CT - crisp, clear air and excellent views. One of my favorite days hiking ever.

hunter121
06-05-2011, 05:50
have a good day!
http://www.primeaffiliate.com/track/images/10.jpghttp://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx229/j3iR/wind/jeromssummer_flickr_photos_848.gif

Carbo
06-05-2011, 07:22
Trail maintenance at Turkey Swamp in Monmouth County, NJ. Actually saw a turkey! Great lunch afterward (from the deli, not the turkey!).

Red Hat
06-05-2011, 07:43
Here ya go. Photos of my day hauling gravel uphill in wheelbarrows, helping rebuild steps--

why is it that the older guys are the ones on wheelbarrow patrol? Same thing here in GA working on the Falls Trail in Vogel State Park. someone we know kept hoping a youngun would step up and volunteer to take the wheelbarrow for a trip or two up and down...

Rain Man
06-05-2011, 12:15
why is it that the older guys are the ones on wheelbarrow patrol? Same thing here in GA working on the Falls Trail in Vogel State Park. someone we know kept hoping a youngun would step up and volunteer to take the wheelbarrow for a trip or two up and down...

Well, when the Marine recruiting office brings their guys out, that's exactly what happens. We older folks get to stand back and admire all the youthful muscle put to good use!

Yesterday I just think I had more "mass" than some of the others among the smallish crowd who volunteered in the heat. LOL I did get one of the really nice REI wicking t-shirts for my efforts.

skinewmexico
06-05-2011, 12:19

Because most younguns don't know how to actually work. Sorry kids, just calling it like I see it.

AegisIII
06-05-2011, 20:55
I did the Hike Across (most of) West Virginia at Cacapon State Park. Relatively easy and level 11 mile hike on Cacapon Mountain with about 20 people.

ki0eh
06-05-2011, 21:09
I took my 8 year old daughter over to Boiling Springs to do "trail art" - drawing with crayons. But this week I'm leading a trail crew on the GET (Mid State Trail) in northern PA.