PDA

View Full Version : To carry a knife or not...this is the question...

STICK
06-04-2011, 20:25
I recently made a post on my blog about a Ka-Bar Mini Dozier folding knife that I plan to start carrying with me while backpacking (http://sticksblog.com/2011/06/02/ka-bar-mini-dozier-folding-knife/). Next thing I know I get a comment by someone by the name of "Wrinkle Me Not" saying how stupid it is to even carry a knife while backpacking. I disagreed. So, now I am entertaining this argument. Do you carry a knife when backpacking, or not?

Also, just for others thoughts, here are the comments he/she left:

Wrinkles:
Compare it with Spyderco, like the LadyBug.

Me:
I have read that a few people also like that knife for backpacking. Maybe one day I will check one out. Right off hand though, it looks like the ladybug is considerably lighter at 0.6 oz, however, it is also quite smaller too.

Wrinkles:
Plan on killing elephants or hiking? That was my point. Most people I know almost never use their knifes, so they leave them at home. Would it be nice to have in a survival situation? SURE! But you aren’t in a survival situation. You’re on well traveled trails near civilization. It would take quite a bit of stupidity to turn it into a survival situation. Need it to spread peanut butter? Use the handle of your spoon and then lick it clean or bring a plastic knife if you must. Need it to cut bread? Just tear it, like humans have done for generations. Need it to stand up to a bear? Good luck with that.

Me:
Wrinkle me not,

Not sure why you need to have that kind of tone to your comment…maybe I am reading it wrong…

You said:

“Would it be nice to have in a survival situation? SURE! But you aren’t in a survival situation. You’re on well traveled trails near civilization. It would take quite a bit of stupidity to turn it into a survival situation.”

My take:

It is stupid for anyone not to take some sort of blade out into the “backcountry” with you. A knife is part of the 10 Essentials, and I am not the only one who believes in them. No matter how much stupid you have or don’t have, accidents happen and anyone (including you) may find theirself in a situation which requires some sort of blade. You just never know, and in case of a “survival situation” even a mere 2 miles from civilization, it can still make a difference. The backcountry is the backcountry.

And no, I do not plan on killing any elephant, or even standing up to a bear with any knife out there. Thanks.

HYOH

~Stick~
Wrinkles:
You’re right. YOU should definitely take a knife with you. Hold it close and dear for it will save you from…………..whatever the infamous and somewhat groundless 10 essentials list says. You know the one, it was written about the same time as the old and useless food pyramid. Picture a box and you in it. Try thinking outside of it. By the way, smoking is bad for you in the event that you haven’t heard.

Me:
Wrinkles,

I am only keeping this comment on (for now) so that others can read it and get a good laugh just as I did from reading your silly comments! http://www.backpacker.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

However, regarding your comment:

1. Come on, grow up!
2 Take a minute to learn the importance of carrying even a simple razor blade. However, in light of your recent comments, I do agree, some should not be allowed to have a knife…
3. Uhmm…thanks for the lesson on smoking, but shouldn’t you be telling this to people that actually smoke… (proof you need to get your facts straight!)

I do appreciate you stopping by and checking out my blog. However, if you cannot post a real comment please do not try to do so on my blog again. I will warn you that I will either delete it all together, or if I am feeling spunky I may edit it to read whatever I would like you too say…

Have a great day!

~Stick~

So, just curious as to others thoughts...

Skidsteer
06-04-2011, 20:32
Carry a knife for crying out loud. Kill Wrinkles with it.

Del Q
06-04-2011, 20:41
I would say YES but very light and very small, a thru hiker said to me a few years ago that all you need is a single edge razor blade. I now agree. My "knife" is .7 oz and a single edge razor blade in my 1st aid kit.

Sierra Echo
06-04-2011, 20:44
Carry a knife for crying out loud. Kill Wrinkles with it.

MUH Hahhahahahahahhaaaa~!!!!

You can also pop blisters and clean out from under your nails with your knife.

Chenango
06-04-2011, 20:46
Small knife for cutting bagels, spreading PB, etc.

STICK
06-04-2011, 21:05
Del-Q, I am not so sure that the single edged straight razor blade won't be all that I carry at this point, but for now I think I will be happy with my 1.1 oz Ka-Bar. :)

And yes, I will always have a knife or blade of some sort on me when I go out!

Jersey Tim
06-04-2011, 21:49
Bring what you like, and let the gram-slaves chatter. When Wrinkles asks to bum a few squares of toilet paper because he miscalculated his UL TP ration, point him to the nearest PI vine.

Tuckahoe
06-04-2011, 21:51
A pocket knife is just one of those things that every man should have in their pocket.

Skidsteer
06-04-2011, 21:59
A pocket knife is just one of those things that every man should have in their pocket.

And woman.

Every adult human should, at the very least, know how to swim, how to cook, and how to defend themself.

And carry a pocket knife.

Spirit Walker
06-04-2011, 21:59
A single blade will open boxes, cut cheese, spam and sausage - what more do you need? I used to carry a Swiss army knife so I could have the can opener, cork screw and bottle opener - but they didn't get used often enough to justify carrying the extra weight.

gtg
06-04-2011, 23:25
I had originally planned to be doing the AT as a through this year, plans change. I was indeed hoping to run into an elephant so i wasnt hiking everyday but could take a break from hiking to do battle with an elephant using my knife. That all being said I have always carried some sort of knife any time I have been on a trail and found many uses, most unexpected for my knife.
When I was just a little boy I had to do a report; native americans and knives as
weapons, my dad quickly set me straight a knife wasnt and isnt a weapon but a tool and a very useful tool at that. in 5th grade that is how my speech went as well and to this day I will say what i learned in that report from my dad is something i still believe fully today about knives. I will always stand by that lesson a knife is a valuable tool to have, no i never plan to go after an elephant or any other animal for that matter with my knife but I will find many many uses. Might I sugest the book " Between a Rock and A Hard Place" by Aron Ralston as proof as just how vital a knife is to carry. Ok that might be an extreme use of a knife, and you can argue about the well traveled trail on the AT but seriously folks how many of you can say you really never use your knife? is it just me or is it just about the most used thing than maybe what you use to drink on the trail?

Tinker
06-04-2011, 23:31
Small knife for cutting bagels, spreading PB, etc.
A bigger blade will allow you to split wood for kindling if you're into that sort of thing.
I'm all for locking blades, too. I once folded a knife back on my fingers. Never again!
I use a Swiss Army (Victorinox, the good one - at least I like their can opener better) knife, and I believe it's called the Adventurer. At 3.5 oz. it's hardly light, but it's sturdy and has a good handle to grip so you won't slip and cut anything you weren't planning to cut :o;)).

Feral Bill
06-05-2011, 00:01
A tiny Swiss army knife cuts what needs cutting. I use mine daily, on or off trail.

wythekari
06-05-2011, 00:53
I'm one of those who has one in the truck, one in my desk at work, one in my brief case, a number at home, sometimes one in my pants pocket (in town or afield), and always one in my pack.

Rocket Jones
06-05-2011, 09:25
Besides my Swiss Army Knife - which I carry every single day - I also have a saw-back knife in my emergency kit. This knife was made from a reciprocating saw blade, so the "saw" part actually works.

earlyriser26
06-05-2011, 09:31
Smallest buck knife they make. Weights almost nothing. Replaces swiss army knife.

Wags
06-05-2011, 11:08
i carry the same mora knife that you just recently replaced. there are people who carry things that i consider foolish (extra clothes, extra batteries, heavy rain gear, etc). i've never gotten into any trouble minding my own business :D of course this doesn't mean that i always follow that prescription...

the main action it sees actually is to whittle bark away to get to dry wood during rainy times so i can use my wood stove :D

yes, always have that knife. dayhikes, weekends, sections, always.

Grinder
06-05-2011, 11:10
First hike, Frost sheath Knife with 4" blade.decided it was too big. No room on belt for it and couldn't get used to a neck strap sheath.

Next two hikes, mini-knife made from a hacksaw blade. Had to carry it in the mess kit. It was not available most times when I needed it.

Finally, a small pocket knife, does almost everything.
(It is a bit weak on splitting kindling.)

hikingshoes
06-05-2011, 11:18
Stick,
I wouldnt care what that person thinks. Your goos person. HYOH!!! HS

hikingshoes
06-05-2011, 11:20
Stick,
I wouldnt care what that person thinks. I've hiked with you and your good dude!! HYOH..HS

dla
06-05-2011, 11:27
Left to right represents a 20year span of my thinking on knives.
https://sites.google.com/site/hobbyhintstricksideas/_/rsrc/1298154979960/Home/back-country-safety/small_2760.JPG

garlic08
06-05-2011, 11:30
Good, another knife thread! I can't wait for the seatbelt argument, though the Aron Ralston variation is a good one.

Yeah, don't worry about what someone else thinks. What one carries is one's own business and decision. But I really appreciated it when, several years ago, another hiker told me about the razor blade idea. It's nice to know other options, just in case you're open to new ideas.

I would rather do surgery with a clean, new razor blade than any pocket knife I've ever owned. I always carry a spare.

hikerboy57
06-05-2011, 11:31
Although I never use it,and prefer a single edge razor blade, a Swiss Army knife is always in my pack. I hear bears are deathly afraid of corkscrews.

WingedMonkey
06-05-2011, 11:57
I would slice up my fingers trying to peel an orange with a razor blade.

:sun

amac
06-05-2011, 15:55
I'm in the smaller-is-better camp. I carry one of the small size Swiss Army knifes: The Rambler.
http://www.swissarmy.com/images/ProductCatalog/vm/vm_54031_sol_a02.jpg

ChinMusic
06-05-2011, 16:16
I'm in the smaller-is-better camp. I carry one of the small size Swiss Army knifes: The Rambler.

That is my knife as well. I carry it on and off the trail.

edit: I take that back. I do have one similar though:

http://www.swissarmy.com/images/ProductCatalog/vm/vm_53001_sol_a02.jpg

Beachcomber
06-05-2011, 16:25
I would slice up my fingers trying to peel an orange with a razor blade.

:sun

Me too. That's why I use my fingers. (Just a little bit of thumbnail works wonders in getting it started.)

FamilyGuy
06-05-2011, 16:27
I always take a 1.2oz Gerber and it usually comes out daily (even to cut open the packaging for micropur tabs).

WingedMonkey
06-05-2011, 16:47
Me too. That's why I use my fingers. (Just a little bit of thumbnail works wonders in getting it started.)

That must be them store bought oranges.
;)

mweinstone
06-05-2011, 17:07
fire cuts cord
teeth cuts pepperonie
spoon cuts cheese
dude cuts uh....
jack cuts farts
jester cuts film
sarge cuts terrorists
tank cut out talking
lwolfs words cut to the quick
ms got cut
the rock of jesus cut me
the two edged sword of the word of my god cut my sinue from my bacony ass bone.

so in closeing, we have learned, non of these cutting operations required knives when hiking.

nothermark
06-05-2011, 18:04
the only time I don't carry a knife is when I carry two. ;-)

Raul Perez
06-05-2011, 18:45
I carry a small leatherman knife for various reasons.

Bearpaw
06-05-2011, 18:58
I closely followed ultralight backpacking sites until I saw several UL devotees insisting a razor blade was all you need. I called BS and have added 2-4 pounds of pack weight and been happier ever since.

I carry a real knife all the time, but especially when I hike. My current hiking knife is the Swiss Army Centurion (http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Centurion-Pocket-Knife/dp/B0007QCOLK). It has a locking blade which I use constantly, mostly for cooking and basic camp chores. The screwdriver is useful when the flicklocks on my trekking poles loosen up. I've used the can opener when hitting little country stores near trail and the bottle opener when hitting campstores with good beer. It may not be "necessary", but neither is my 2-pound hammock. But both make me a helluva lot happier in the backcountry.

LDog
06-05-2011, 19:16
Wrinkles: Compare it with Spyderco, like the LadyBug.

Me: I have read that a few people also like that knife for backpacking. Maybe one day I will check one out. Right off hand though, it looks like the ladybug is considerably lighter at 0.6 oz, however, it is also quite smaller too.

Wrinkles: Plan on killing elephants or hiking?

When I first read this I felt she set you up to say the ladybug is too small so she could go off on her rant. And, I definitely got the vibe that she was not responding from solely a U/L perspective, but from an irrational (imnsho) "knife as a weapon that has no place on the trail" perspective.

I carry a knife every day. It's light enough to carry on the trail, big enough to cut a bagel, and shaped well for spreading peanut butter. In my 50 something years of life, I've never hurt another creature, but I have opened lots of packages, cut lots of cord, cleaned lots of fingernails, and whittled a lot of sticks.

Could I do those things with something else? I guess. But a knife's the right tool for the job.

Country Roads
06-05-2011, 19:26
I don't use a knife much while b-packing, but when I need one, I really need one. Sure hope Wrinkles never wants to borrow a knife, all he will hear is laughter as I fold mine up and put it away.
Actually, come to think of it, I guess I carried two knives this weekend; one little cheapie that I use to open my sealed up food stuff and my itty bitty craftsman tool (less than 2 oz).

mweinstone
06-05-2011, 19:27
i allways thaught chilly willy was crockadile dundee and now that just proves it. hes a wildman whittelin and a openin shine and all that! wow. thank you crockadile for all your cool movies. you made up the part about walking poles. i know you mean blow dart tubes. and i know your from austrailia. prolly a roo wrestler boxer in the off season eh? lmas.

LDog
06-05-2011, 19:55
'Ats not a knife! This's a knife!

http://www.knifeworks.com/images/products/display/KA5600.jpg

STICK
06-05-2011, 21:27
Well, Wrinkles posted back a little earlier, and this one actually makes sense.

I’m just messing with you because you just keep buying and buying and buying and buying gear. My point is that you should just enjoy the outdoors and realize that less is more which you only learn from time on the trail. In this case, think real hard what you can do with a tiny little knife. Your rationale is essentially leaning towards a “survival” situation when it is completely insufficient for a survival situation. It is good for lightweight backpacking, but it’s likely that you won’t use it at all.

P.S. – I said the thing about smoking, not because you smoke, but because I’m trying to say that you’re so stuck in the “do whatever everyone else tells me” that you’re missing out on your own learned experiences. If I hear one more novice quote the 10 essentials list I think I’m going to jump off a cliff. Is it helpful? Could it be useful? – SURE! But it’s not a be all end all and you need to STOP taking things singularly at face value or based singularly on advertisements which are designed and intended to make you buy something you don’t need. Put down Backpacker Mag, put down all the blogs, and get out and see what you actually need. Heck, you figured it out with your pack and you’ll figure it out with other things too.

PPS – I took your survey and checked “sometimes”. Personally, I think knives are only good in a couple of situations. (1) winter, for wood stoves, and (2) survival. Otherwise, they are pretty much dead weight unless, for example, you’re bringing them for the utilities (i.e. a swiss army with the tooth pick, tweezers, scissors, etc.) because these all function very differently and I’d actually argue they are harder to duplicate in the wilderness (Ever tried to floss with a piece of grass? It’s a pain. Ever try to pull out a sliver with two sticks trying to act as tweezers? It’s near impossible. Bring what you can’t duplicate or only that which you really need.) Go wipe your arse with a giant soft leave and I guarantee a lightbulb will go off and you’ll realize that you don’t need TP either. If you insist that you need a knife and don’t have one, look for a large and uprooted downed tree. There is compressed shale which can be easily shattered if struck on another rock. You’ll have a larger knive more capable of that puny little Kabar which has served early man for generations.

Learned something didn’t you.

Captn
06-05-2011, 21:47
Ignore him ..... Obviously a troll.

hikingshoes
06-05-2011, 22:14
Ignore him ..... Obviously a troll.

+2 that!!!

Leanthree
06-05-2011, 22:20
Everyone knows that if you are going to go after an elephant, you should use your knife to sharpen a spear. The knife itself is useless.

That or just use the shelter mice against them.

LDog
06-05-2011, 22:24
Does anyone have any good FBC recipes for elephant?

Roundabout
06-05-2011, 22:45
I've carried a knife with me everywhere for most of my adult knife. Working outdoors, I've found it useful on a daily basis. My favorite knife for the last 7 years has been the Spyderco Delica; the serrated/straight edge model. The steel will hold up to a lot of punishment before needing to be sharpened. It also opens very easily one-handed with a positive locking mechanism (with some practice-and possibly a little blood spilt- it can also be closed one handed). I don't have the exact weight at hand, but I remember the first time I clipped it to my pocket, I kept checking to see if it was still there.

WingedMonkey
06-06-2011, 15:10

ELEPHANT SOUP 1 elephant
Salt and pepper
2 rabbits (optional)
Cut elephant into bite-size pieces. This should take about 2 months. Add enough brown gravy to cover. Cook over kerosene fire for 4 weeks at 465 degrees. This will serve 3, 800 people. If more are expected, 2 rabbits may be added, but do this only if necessary as most people do not like to find a hare in their soup.

Old Hiker
06-06-2011, 15:21

Still looking for the bag big enough to put it in, even AFTER dehydrating. Not to mention a dehydrator big enough.

Wise Old Owl
06-06-2011, 15:26
I carry a small leatherman knife for various reasons.

Good answer - which one and why?

Skidster gets the Funny Bone award for the tread!

I heard you can scrape some wrinkles away with the right knife!:D

Wise Old Owl
06-06-2011, 15:28
Everyone knows that if you are going to go after an elephant, you should use your knife to sharpen a spear. The knife itself is useless.

That or just use the shelter mice against them.

No you duct tape the Wenger to the hiking stick - then poke the Elephant. Didn't You Know?

Chubbs4U
06-06-2011, 15:52
The food pyramid is not obsolete.

Deadeye
06-07-2011, 12:43
A single blade will open boxes, cut cheese, spam and sausage - what more do you need? I used to carry a Swiss army knife so I could have the can opener, cork screw and bottle opener - but they didn't get used often enough to justify carrying the extra weight.

You jsut didn't hang with the right crowd!

Raul Perez
06-07-2011, 12:59
Good answer - which one and why?

Skidster gets the Funny Bone award for the tread!

I heard you can scrape some wrinkles away with the right knife!:D

C302

Good for batonning small fire wood if it's damp out, great for making wood shavings to start a fire. Yea... if it's cold out I make a fire in the fire pit.

It has a quick assist launcher which is great for self defense. Not against bears... against the only animal with bad intentions... Man.

Opens up packages

Cuts tangled lines

cuts salami

Helps process any fish I catch on trail if I'm fishing

Use it to make any dead falls or spring snares if I'm keeping up with my bushcraft skills or if I'm in a survival situation

Can be used to help make a shelter if I'm in a survival situation.

For 3oz I can do a lot. Even though it is a well travelled path crap happens.

AndyB
06-07-2011, 13:15
A tiny Swiss army knife cuts what needs cutting. I use mine daily, on or off trail.

I carried this one on my hike, the plastic got broke off in a dryer, so it got even smaller,lol. I used the scissors mostly. For peanut butter I had a plastic knife/ spatula type thing. I'd almost prefer some type of light weight scissors to a knife. Not sure what I'm going to carry these days

Feral Bill
06-07-2011, 14:07
I carried this one on my hike, the plastic got broke off in a dryer, so it got even smaller,lol. I used the scissors mostly. For peanut butter I had a plastic knife/ spatula type thing. I'd almost prefer some type of light weight scissors to a knife. Not sure what I'm going to carry these days

I find it takes care not to lose something so small. Only down side I see.

SMSP
06-13-2011, 13:18
I always carry some type of knive as well. I have down-sized them over time as well too. I remember one of my first overnighters and returning from that trip and looked at the number of knives between my pack and self, it was like 4 or so. Also, I always carry a pocket knife on daily basis anyway, dont all real men? Funny.

I now carry the Mora Clipper and a small Swiss Army knife. Not sure of the model on the Swiss, but it has to blades on one side, then the screwdriver/bottle opener and the can opener on the other side. I know its weight penalty, but I am not a gram counter, but do pay attention to ounces. I keep the Mora on my pack and the Swiss Army knife in my pocket. Hey, it works for me, I am comfortable with it and yes, it very well may change again, like the rest of my gear.

Stick - keep the good reviews coming and information that you do provide. I appreciate it and obviously, so do most!

SMSP

STICK
06-13-2011, 17:09
Thanks SMSP.

Ranc0r
06-13-2011, 19:24
I've carried a pocket knife everyday since I was 14, so yeah, I have a knife while backpacking. There's one in a pocket and a razor blade in the first aid kit. It's a tool, you can have it or not, like anything else - your choice. Just too much you can do with a knife in the woods to be without. Wrinkles are unsightly, but laugh lines add character.

HYOH, and no, you may not use mine, unless there's something of mine that you've volunteered to carry for me.

Ranc0r

tammons
06-13-2011, 20:03
I have been carrying a Swiss army knife for about 40 years or so and IMO thats the best tool outdoors for the weight. Next would be a multitool because of the pliars, but I dont put them in my pack so I dont count the weight.

Always have one in my pocket.
One of the models with the saw and scissors.

The saw really comes in handy and you can cut enough wood to build a decent fire.
Done it on several hikes.
The only thing I wish it had was a lock knife blade and a micro fire starter in the other end, similar the the toothpick and tweezers.

For small fixed blade tough light knives, I dont think you can beat a becker necker at 4.5 oz. Man does that knife hold an edge.

Moras are light and have a real handle and a longer blade, but dont hold an edge that well.

I have a Kershaw Chill Pocket Knife I just ordered to try out.
2 oz.

bfayer
06-13-2011, 21:49
I guess I just hang out in the wrong places, but I have never met a backpacker that did not have some kind of knife with them.

Day hikers yes, but I see them in rain storms without rain gear, and in cold weather in tee shirts, etc. So I am not surprised if they don't have a knife.

I can't imagine not having a knife out on the trail. On the other hand I can't imagine carrying some of the Rambo look alike knifes I see either. To each his own.

CowHead
06-14-2011, 20:56
I got one from REI it’s a whistle knife and fire starter has come in handy allot

I'm gimpy
06-14-2011, 22:09
I carried a small pocket knife with a 2" blade hiking for a while. It worked well for daily tasks. I now usually carry a fixed blade knife that I made with hiking in mind. Even cut a bottle opener into the handle just for the heck of it.

Wise Old Owl
06-14-2011, 22:42
once again it's not the knife, its about the brains behind the tool that carries it.

Survive!

Dogwood
06-15-2011, 02:06
Stick, who cares what someone else said about how you gear up/gear down for YOUR HIKE! It's your hike! With all due respect, IMO, NO NEED to obsess over these kinds of decisions. This is minutia in the biggger scheme of things! Carry a knife or do not! Move on! It's about hiking isn't it, not about obsessing over someone's opinion or saving an oz? My friend, you are like me right now, we need to get out and hike!