PDA

View Full Version : Cuben versus Silnylon: Pros and Cons behyond cost and weight?

StealthHikerBoy
06-04-2011, 21:28
I know this is a bit of a newbie post, but I've searched a bit and haven't found an answer.

What are the pros and cons of a Cuben shelter versus a silnylon one?

I know the obvious ones -- Cuben costs substantially more and is lighter than silnylon. But, beyond money and weight, what are the differences? If money wasn't a concern, would everyone have a Cuben shelter? Or does silnylon have some advantages over Cuben?

Anyone own both who can comment?

Thanks!!

Tinker
06-04-2011, 22:17
I believe that cuben fiber cannot absorb water and/or stretch when wet. Silnylon can absorb water and does stretch when wet. In case you were wondering, I own a MacCat spinnaker cloth tarp which is between the sil and the cuben both in price and weight. It's a little noisier than sil and doesn't absorb as much water. I don't notice any stretch when it's wet, either, but that may be because the edges are bound unlike my Equinox silnylon tarp.

leaftye
06-04-2011, 22:28
Cuben fiber:
- doesn't get wet
- has a greater tear strength
- is theoretically 100% waterproof
- can be repaired with duct tape
- does not stretch
- weighs less
- compresses more
- less slippery
- can come with a reflective coating like a space blanket
- can be constructed with tape, thus not requiring seam sealing

Silnylon
- less expensive
- not translucent
- more abrasion resistant
- is easier to build with a catenary cut
- not prone to peel failures
- more uv resistant

Ender
06-04-2011, 22:42
Cuben fiber:
- doesn't get wet
- has a greater tear strength
- is theoretically 100% waterproof
- can be repaired with duct tape
- does not stretch
- weighs less
- compresses more
- less slippery
- can come with a reflective coating like a space blanket
- can be constructed with tape, thus not requiring seam sealing

Silnylon
- less expensive
- not translucent
- more abrasion resistant
- is easier to build with a catenary cut
- not prone to peel failures
- more uv resistant

This is a great comparison. My only point to amend would be that Silnylon can also be made with a reflective coating.

Stir Fry
06-04-2011, 22:54
If it were not for the cost I think Cuben would be the standared and Silnylon would almost go away.
Not just for shelters eather, but for most items. Is stronger, weighs more that half that of Sil. (Cuben .52) (Sil 1.3). I have done pack cover 1.2 oz v 3.75 , Stuff sacks 8 total 2.8 oz v 8 oz., rain wrap .75 oz v 3 oz. Im going to replace my tarp next. It should be about 6 oz. v 14 oz.

Exept for the cost I have found no down side to Cuben. I think it even easer to work with too. You can fold it and the seam stays till I sew it. I have not tryed to do any taping, I just sew it like any othe rmaterial.

Dogwood
06-04-2011, 22:55
Just to note! Be careful what and how you compare when comparing cuben and silny. They both come in various weights/versions and consequently have slightly different charcteristics based on that alone!

You might want to vist a site like Mountain Laurel Designs where Fabric Mojo is explained.

Dogwood
06-04-2011, 23:01
One note. Silny still has some apps like when permeability is desired because cuben in typical wts./versions has no breathabilty or permeability.

Stir Fry
06-04-2011, 23:04
Wanted to add that the fact that is translucent is a real plus on food sacks.

Z packs has cuben in .33 oz, .51 oz, .74 oz , 1.26oz and 1.43 oz. I have used .33 and .51. .33 can rip with some work the .51 os very hard to rip. Cnad talk about the others but can only sermise that each get more dificult to rip.

FamilyGuy
06-05-2011, 00:58
Definitely need to compare similar weights. For similar weights, cuben is stronger than 1.3 sil. But 1.3 sil has a higher tear strength than .33 cuben!

One benefit to sil is that it WILL stretch and allow more flexibility in windy conditions preventing tearing, thereby increasing its actual strength.