PDA

View Full Version : Southern PA section Hike

EJC
06-04-2011, 22:29
Does anyone know of a good area on the southern PA AT to section hike for 2-3 days? I've done a few day hikes on the AT in VA, however never an overnighter. I did about 6 miles in 2 hours, but that was with a light day pack. Are there a lot of tenting sites in that area or is it mostly campgrounds and shelters? Also, any suggestions on where to park/ shuttles to get back to the car? Thanks!

Tinker
06-04-2011, 22:55
I did southern Pa. in sections during the past two years. I really don't remember seeing many tentsites (but 1/2 of the miles I did were in the winter). There are plenty of shelters to tent near and the rocks don't start until just before Duncannon (even then the rocky sections are short with plenty of easier trail between). I also can't remember any outstanding sights or shelter spots (though some of the shelters themselves seemed to be nice - and I have to admit to hanging the hammock in a few that were sturdily built when the weather was wet). I enjoyed the hike across the Cumberland Valley (including Boiling springs, which was a nice town with a beautiful park), but that's probably not what most people would go out of their way to hike if they only had a few days off. I'd say start at Pen-Mar and hike north until you run out of time. The woods are nice and the footing's good.

tuswm
06-05-2011, 00:23
you could do all of MD in 3 days. But I would skip the C&O canal. The souther most 3 miles.

Cookerhiker
06-05-2011, 06:54
Caledonia State Park to Boiling Springs is 40 miles. Not a real difficult hike with just one rocky stretch in the northern half. If you do it on a weekend, you can visit the AT Museum at Pine Grove Furnace.

EJC
06-05-2011, 20:56
Caledonia State Park to Boiling Springs is 40 miles. Not a real difficult hike with just one rocky stretch in the northern half. If you do it on a weekend, you can visit the AT Museum at Pine Grove Furnace.

That sounds like a great idea! I remember hearing about the rocks in PA but wasn't sure where they were. Thanks for the advice! Will be heading out after my new tent arrives (and a test run in the backyard). I'll let you know how the trip goes!

Cookerhiker
06-05-2011, 21:21
That sounds like a great idea! I remember hearing about the rocks in PA but wasn't sure where they were. Thanks for the advice! Will be heading out after my new tent arrives (and a test run in the backyard). I'll let you know how the trip goes!

Here's the link (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=72306) to the write-up of my recent section hike which encompassed the section I recommended. Note that the tough rocky part I referred to above is after you cross Rt. 94 - probably on your last day (assuming you're hiking northbound). Have a great hike!

EJC
06-05-2011, 22:18
Here's the link (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=72306) to the write-up of my recent section hike which encompassed the section I recommended. Note that the tough rocky part I referred to above is after you cross Rt. 94 - probably on your last day (assuming you're hiking northbound). Have a great hike!

Thanks for sharing! I am planning on hiking northbound and I can't wait to get out there!! :)

EJC
06-05-2011, 22:24
I did southern Pa. in sections during the past two years. I really don't remember seeing many tentsites (but 1/2 of the miles I did were in the winter). There are plenty of shelters to tent near and the rocks don't start until just before Duncannon (even then the rocky sections are short with plenty of easier trail between). I also can't remember any outstanding sights or shelter spots (though some of the shelters themselves seemed to be nice - and I have to admit to hanging the hammock in a few that were sturdily built when the weather was wet). I enjoyed the hike across the Cumberland Valley (including Boiling springs, which was a nice town with a beautiful park), but that's probably not what most people would go out of their way to hike if they only had a few days off. I'd say start at Pen-Mar and hike north until you run out of time. The woods are nice and the footing's good.

I really like the idea of starting at Pen-Mar however boiling springs is an easy pickup spot and I'm not fast enough to make it there in only 2-3 days (at least I highly doubt it) if starting that far south. Thanks for advising where the rocky areas are. I always heard of the rocks but had no clue where they actually were!

OldFeet
06-13-2011, 12:33
Just got back from a 100 mile section in PA so maybe this will help. I started late on a Friday and hiked 2.6 miles to the Quarry Gap Shelter just north of Calendonia SP. Very nice shelter with a spring right in front and few tent pads. Second day was 13.6 pretty easy miles to Tom's Run Shelter which also had tent pads. Day three was 10.9 to the James Frye Shelter (formerly Tagg Run). No tent sites next to the shelter but there were some flat areas to tent down by the stream. Fouth day was 12 miles into Boiling Springs. Overall the trail was pretty easy hiking with just a few rocky stretches including a pretty cool rock maze a few miles north of the Frye shelter.

EJC
06-13-2011, 22:33
Just got back from a 100 mile section in PA so maybe this will help. I started late on a Friday and hiked 2.6 miles to the Quarry Gap Shelter just north of Calendonia SP. Very nice shelter with a spring right in front and few tent pads. Second day was 13.6 pretty easy miles to Tom's Run Shelter which also had tent pads. Day three was 10.9 to the James Frye Shelter (formerly Tagg Run). No tent sites next to the shelter but there were some flat areas to tent down by the stream. Fouth day was 12 miles into Boiling Springs. Overall the trail was pretty easy hiking with just a few rocky stretches including a pretty cool rock maze a few miles north of the Frye shelter.

Thanks OldFeet! How difficult do you think it would be to start early and go straight from Rt. 30 the 16.2 miles to Tom's Run?

tdoczi
06-14-2011, 00:22
i did caledonia to pinegrove furnace (20 miles) on saturday with no problem.. 6:30am start or so, done well before dark (maybe 5 or 6pm?) easy hike once youre up the first big hill.

OldFeet
06-14-2011, 08:45
Thanks OldFeet! How difficult do you think it would be to start early and go straight from Rt. 30 the 16.2 miles to Tom's Run?

It's certainly doable if you don't mind that big a first day. I'm 60 and it took me less than 7 hours to hike the 13.6 from Quarry Gap to Tom's Run so you should be able to make it there from Caledonia if you get an early start.

Cookerhiker
06-14-2011, 08:53
Tom's Runs is a nice area to camp - good tent sites and plenty of water; even though I was there in April, the streams looked like they were permanent.

ki0eh
06-14-2011, 12:12
No tent sites next to the shelter but there were some flat areas to tent down by the stream.

There are several tent sites between the shelter and the spring - i.e. past the shelter. Tagg Run stream has plenty of cows upstream so the spring is a much better bet.

BigHodag
06-15-2011, 00:15
I sectioned southern PA in May-June 2010. There are lots of clearings between Caledonia and Toms Run shelters, but none have water. There is one large tent area with a fire circle above and behind Milesburn Cabin. Water is down the hill at the cabin where a small creek trickles past. The cabin and its privy are locked when not rented.

From Bunker Hill Road to Pine Grove there's no good camping areas and the locals who lease land from the forest have unfriendly no camping signs along the downhill to the park.

While in Pine Grove, consider using the indoor plumbing and taking a free shower at the lake. Also there are electric sockets for charging phones.

Once you clear Pine Grove SP, you can pull off the trail and camp. I noted numerous clearings suitable for tents, but again no water. I took ill while passing through Pine Grove and took a safety just outside of the park in walking distance to the creek that runs through the park. (Thought I might have to back track for medical assistance.)

The rock "maze" mentioned is just uphill on the north side of Whiskey Spring. Its popular with the local paintball set. I'm sure thrus enjoy the break from monotony, but it didn't add any value to my hike and I'd rather the trail were more direct and trail like. Not fond of busting rock climbing moves with a full pack.

Details of the trip are in my TrailJournal (link at left).

ki0eh
06-15-2011, 08:53
The rock "maze" mentioned is just uphill on the north side of Whiskey Spring. Its popular with the local paintball set. I'm sure thrus enjoy the break from monotony, but it didn't add any value to my hike and I'd rather the trail were more direct and trail like. Not fond of busting rock climbing moves with a full pack.

There used to be an MTB bypass of those rocks but it was being actively blocked (unofficial trail on NPS land) so they might have given up.

Demillo
06-16-2011, 23:50
You can park at both Pine Grove Furnace S.P. and Caledonia. Just register with the rangers. Southern PA is fairly easy. We did it as our "shake downs" for our longer section hikes.

Does anyone know of a good area on the southern PA AT to section hike for 2-3 days? I've done a few day hikes on the AT in VA, however never an overnighter. I did about 6 miles in 2 hours, but that was with a light day pack. Are there a lot of tenting sites in that area or is it mostly campgrounds and shelters? Also, any suggestions on where to park/ shuttles to get back to the car? Thanks!

EJC
06-20-2011, 21:10
Update: Did my first solo/overnight all combined last week! I ended up doing Pen-Mar to Caledonia because I could only go for one night. I had an awesome time! Met 5 amazing thru hikers, spent the night at Tumbling Run shelter and survived my first thunderstorm overnight.

I'm definately hooked now and will be doing a 3-4 night hike in a short while starting from Caledonia and going NOBO. Thanks for all of the advice. I can't wait!

BadAndy
06-20-2011, 22:34
Welcome to the addiction

CowHead
06-20-2011, 22:35
i'll be mooing that way end of this month to 4th of july see how far I can get in 7 days