PDA

View Full Version : Pants or shorts

blyle
06-05-2011, 11:51
I will be hiking the Long Trail End-to-end this July/August. Can I get away with just shorts, or will I need long pants as well?

Deadeye
06-05-2011, 12:53
Shorts... unless your legs are realllly ugly. Zip offs are good for evening cover up against bugs or cool evenings.

Cookerhiker
06-05-2011, 13:08
On my '07 thruhike, I only recall a few short stretches - all in the far north beyond Rt. 15 - where the brush was thick in a few places to scratch the legs. I'd stick to shorts with long pants for evening as Deadeye suggested.

DavidNH
06-05-2011, 14:30
Wear shorts. Your rain pants can double as pants for warmth if needed. You will be way too hot for long pants 95% of the time.

Deadeye
06-05-2011, 14:40
Wear shorts. Your rain pants can double as pants for warmth if needed. You will be way too hot for long pants 95% of the time.

Which of course assumes you bring rain pants! I have some very nice golite rain pants that I carried in the bottom of my pack for years. I've never worn them, and on the LT, I no longer even bring them.

Tinker
06-05-2011, 14:47
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/3/7/5/0/dscf1440_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=25280&c=searchresults&searchid=36846)

I find these to be useful in extremely buggy conditions when it's too hot to wear long pants. Spray them well with permethrin and they should be good for the entire length of the LT.

Slo-go'en
06-05-2011, 17:26
Long pants, all the time, 100% of the way - even if it is 90 out!

ChinMusic
06-05-2011, 17:40
Same here. In fact SAME pants whether it's 10 or 100. Well, if it's 100 it better be out west.........;)

StubbleJumper
06-05-2011, 17:44
+1 on the shorts. I wore convertibles last August and never attached the pant legs. At the end of my hike, I had a pair of ragged shorts and a set of brand new pant legs!

The only thing you might want pants for are the insects, but they'll be mostly gone by late July. In the east, you do NOT want to hike in pants when it's 90 degrees and 90 percent humidity!

Deadeye
06-05-2011, 20:50

Why? No a snotty why, just a curious why?

sbhikes
06-05-2011, 21:21
Yeah, I always wear long pants too. I live out west though. Trails are scratchy and overgrown, there's lots of poison oak, and I just don't like being eaten by flies or mosquitoes. It's also more comfortable to be covered up when it's hot than to put on sunscreen.

Slo-go'en
06-05-2011, 22:45
<long pants all the time..>

Why? No a snotty why, just a curious why?

Mostly to protect my legs from all the things which can bite them, scratch them, cause rashes and make them dirty. Plus, here in New England, its not often that it is hot enough to justify shorts. I will on occasion go to shorts, but its got to be really, really hot and humid and trail well cleared for me to do so.

You will note that most everyone who says they wear shorts all the time come from predomitally very warm parts of the country and haven't hiked on many of the lesser maintained trails of New England.

Dogwood
06-06-2011, 01:48
I can tell some of you have those gossebumped skinny white chicken stick hiking legs! Pants when it's 100* No way! I flirt my gams!

If I felt the absolute need for rain pants I would like those Montane Featherlites!
Did you ever think about carrying shorts and tights or perhaps shorts and UL thin thermal bottoms. Takes some getting use to but hiking tights can really attract the does!

mark schofield
06-06-2011, 06:31
I use synthetic convertables or zip-ons. Shorts durring the day and zip on the bottoms for a bit of warmth at the end of the day,

Rough
06-06-2011, 17:02
I hike on the LT all summer and most backpackers I encounter are wearing shorts or convertible pants. This is especially true of the AT hikers I meet on the trail during July and August. I prefer the nylon long pants with SPF protection (got them in the fishing section at LL Bean) and I wear them along with low gaiters. They dry so quickly that I stopped carrying rain pants entirely. Rain pants are not needed unless you want you use them for additional insulation at night or for "town clothes" while you're at a laundromat.

The nylon pants are cool when it's hot and warm when it's not. And they protect against bugs and thorny branches.

NorthCountryWoods
06-07-2011, 06:47
Convertible fan too, but mainly hike early or late in the season. A couple cold nights or buggy campsites and you appreciate the zip ons.

kreate
06-07-2011, 08:16
KILT!!!

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.