PDA

View Full Version : REI Annual Garage Sale - What did you buy?

Winged
06-05-2011, 14:51
REI has an annual garage sale during which time they sell items that were returned during the year. This is the first time I've gone. I had a dream to find a $300 tent for a song. Me and 50 other people.

Many of the "deals" on tents had badly damaged poles, etc. So for the person who wants to fix it up there were some deals to be had. Clothing had different problems -- broken button, threads coming out of seam. Lots of shoes. I managed to grab an REI Trekker pad. It was $13. An employee encouraged me to open it and lay it out and blow it up before buying it to make sure, "someone hadn't taken a weedwacker to it." I decided it wasn't worth the effort and I didn't need it, so tossed it back.

I ended up buying a Leatherman, Squirt PS4. This 2oz knife typically sells at REI for $30. One online store shows it in the $20 range. I paid $10.

Since I don't have a knife, it seemed reasonable. It has pliers, scissors, knife, flat head, bottle opener/ and a nail file. The nail file was supposedly damaged, according to the card. But that doesn't appear to be the case.

There are many fixer-upper types on WB, so what deal did you pick up at an REI garage sale?

Spider
06-05-2011, 15:41
is this happening at every REI location? also, when does the sale last until?

Rain Man
06-05-2011, 15:42
Last year I got two pairs of gaiters for about $3 each pair. Both needed one new snap grommet, which I had at home, so they were EASY to fix. Also got a Big Agnes air mattress that supposedly had a bad valve. Blew it up at home and it holds air perfectly. Also picked up various items that needed a little stitching, which is no problem for anyone not a knucklehead. Got daughter a great valise that way.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the "rush" first thing in the morning. Go late in the evening, when they mark everything down 50% again. That's when you find real bargains.

Rain:sunMan

Rain Man
06-05-2011, 15:43

Was about a month ago. Happens twice a year.

Rain:sunMan

Spider
06-05-2011, 15:46
Ah. must have been while I was still at school, thanks.

rjjones
06-05-2011, 19:08
I went to the one out my way this year.Got there early{not early enough} and still had to stand in line.When the doors opened it looked like the event where weadding dresses are sold at half price.People were grabbing 3,4 and 5 pair of boots at a time,not knowing if they were even the right size.There was nothing on the self when i got up to it.{i was half way back in the line,not in the back}Pushing,shoveing and rudeness will keep me from ever going to this event again.I expected more from outdoor type backpacking folks??I guess savings trumps manners.:-?

Sierra Echo
06-05-2011, 19:12
Bufords REI scratch n' dent sale isnt until the 18th.

Silverstone
06-05-2011, 19:21
They got an REI in BUFORD????

Little town has sure grown up over the past ten years!

Sierra Echo
06-05-2011, 19:22
This little town now has the largest mall in the southeast in it! This town aint so little no more! :eek:

Winged
06-05-2011, 19:24

Spider they happen at different times for different stores. All the store in Central Texas are having their sales on different days. Each store, two days.

As Rainman said, this morning people were just grabbing everything they could. Many people then go to some area of the store and go through whatever they grabbed (3 tents for example) and figure out what if anything they want. One guy had maybe 10 back packs -- but I think he was only going to buy one.

Also, they continue to put things out all day. Really no point to be there first thing. Customers are no longer allowed to camp out in in front of the Austin stores. Not very "Austin" if you ask me, but it has to do with a leasing agreement. Heard someone say the first person in line arrived at about 6am. Store opened at 11am. There were a couple of people that I suspected might be intending to fix and resell.

Shoes were the one thing that didn't look damaged per say. Some were just dirty and/or muddy -- kind of like they'd be the first time you wore them out on a hike. There were more people gathered around the shoes than any other single area. I think because it is an item that wears out and everybody needs. No one yanking anything out of anyone's hand. In fact people were helping each other out -- passing things around.

Liv2Ride
06-05-2011, 19:32
In Atlanta they hold them just about every quarter at each of the 4 REI's that are here. Anyway, went to the one on Perimeter today. Picked up a few items. One of which was a totally complete and new Platypus 2 liter Big Zip. The tag said "broken doesnt work". I looked it over and took a chance on spending the $2.83. Got it home and filled it up to check for leaks and other problems. It had a horrible drip coming from the quick disconnect connection at the bladder. Looked at the connection and decided that it was missing an O-ring on the male connector. Went to Ace Hardware, bought the O-ring for 40 cents. Hooked it back up and it works like a charm. I have to admit that I got lucky but I was willing to take a chance since it only cost me $2.83. Afterall, the hose and mouthpiece is worth more than that. So, I spent $3.23 total for a $30 something dollar water bladder. Not bad :0

Rain Man
06-05-2011, 20:56
This year the Nashville (Brentwood) store handled the crowd differently. They gave out colored tickets (first come, first served) and let folks in, in batches, according to the ticket color. Each batch of folks had 20 or 30 minutes (I forget), then had to clear out for the next group. Oh, all the gear was out back of the store. After going through there, you went into the store to pay and could shop there for "regular" stuff.

Rain Man (not "Rainman," who is another WB member)

LIhikers
06-05-2011, 22:24
I went to the one out my way this year.Got there early{not early enough} and still had to stand in line.When the doors opened it looked like the event where weadding dresses are sold at half price.People were grabbing 3,4 and 5 pair of boots at a time,not knowing if they were even the right size.There was nothing on the self when i got up to it.{i was half way back in the line,not in the back}Pushing,shoveing and rudeness will keep me from ever going to this event again.I expected more from outdoor type backpacking folks??I guess savings trumps manners.:-?

Keep in mind that there are a lot of non-outdoors people who shop at REI, EMS, and other outfitters for "the look", not the function of the clothing and gear. A big part of their business comes from people who want that certain fashion. Please don't lump everyone in the same boat. You'll meet hikers out on the trail, not in the store.

JaxHiker
06-05-2011, 23:03
They got an REI in BUFORD????

Little town has sure grown up over the past ten years!

It's not too bad. I went to the one of 85 this trip. Not sure which I prefer.

erinjoy777
06-05-2011, 23:44
The one in Plano, TX is on the 18th. I was planning on going but after reading these posts I'm wondering if it's worth the hour and half drive!

Fiddleback
06-06-2011, 09:43
By signing up for REI emails, you get a local store (in my case, Missoula) specific email every month detailing regional outdoor related activities, how-to seminars, up-coming sales and their approaching end date, etc. That includes their scratch-and-dent happenings.

Compared to signing up for notices from other retailers the stream of emails from REI is the least noxious. In my experience it's limited to notifications of seasonal sales, dividends, and the monthly events email.

FB