PDA

View Full Version : Madison hut - newly renovated

Slo-go'en
06-05-2011, 16:46
I stopped by the newly renovated AMC Madison Spring hut on my way down from the summit of Mt Adams this morning. (5 star day, so took the long way down and back home. Black Flys were only moderately annoying).

Place sure is fancy now. They gutted the old hut, leaving only the stone walls. Then they built a whole new and larger structure around the orignal walls. Everything is clean and shinny. The bunk rooms are much improved. Several big solar panels for electric lights, solar hot water panels for pre heating (kitchen) water. Might actually be worth the big bucks they get to stay there now :rolleyes:.

House of Payne
07-28-2011, 18:00
No thanks, would rather tent it than pay the money

peakbagger
07-29-2011, 07:46
I visited it on a windy day and one thing that wasn't working out was the new windows in the dining room. They look and work like cheap vinyl replacements. Wind and water were coming in at multiple locations and the latch hardware was pretty marginal.

The place did need upgrading and the rebuild is a big improvement. It looks more to me that the big improvement was to the crew accommodations rather than the guest area.

DLANOIE
07-29-2011, 11:17
Ive never paid to stay at a hut, always work for stay, and I do not mind helping out in any way I can. Im sure glad they are there though as I have found some much needed respit(sp) during severe weather. And the croo have always been pleasant to me. They are DAMN expensive though!

hikerboy57
07-29-2011, 13:17
although it is too expensive, based on how fast the huts fill up, any cheaper and you'd have to reserve space years in advance.I guess its okay if you're rich.

bobqzzi
07-29-2011, 13:59
I keep hearing how expensive the hut rates are so I decided to check. They seem extremely reasonable to me. Lodging and 2 meals at 5000ft for ~$100.00 is a darn good deal. A room at the North Conway Comfort Inn is $185/night.

hikerboy57
07-29-2011, 14:05
keep in mind the huts dont have tv, fridge, showers, hot water, swimming pool sauna, jacuzzi, phones, maid service, bed linens,soft drink machines, ice or starbucks.
Ive stayed at the huts numerous times, and I do believe they're worth the price, as I can hike a lot lighter, and there are some great trails north of adams and madison that I would prefer to do without 30 lbs on my back. the real point I was trying to make is that any cheaper and they would be overrun. But I enjoyed being able to be alone all day and then enjoy the social aspect the huts provided, along with a good meal. be sure to bring earplugs if you do stay there tho. everyone is a noisier sleeper than me.

Trailbender
07-29-2011, 16:12
I keep hearing how expensive the hut rates are so I decided to check. They seem extremely reasonable to me. Lodging and 2 meals at 5000ft for ~$100.00 is a darn good deal. A room at the North Conway Comfort Inn is $185/night.

Both of those sound expensive as hell, personally. I wouldn't stay in a hotel that was 50 bucks a night, still too much. The food is good, though. I did work for stay last year on my thru.

DLANOIE
07-29-2011, 16:34
although it is too expensive, based on how fast the huts fill up, any cheaper and you'd have to reserve space years in advance.I guess its okay if you're rich.

Good point.

Carl in FL
07-29-2011, 17:34
If they fill up fast then they sound priced right for the demand.
It's all about supply and demand.
I've never been that far North. Is there electric service at the huts?

hikerboy57
07-29-2011, 17:39
if youre looking for an outlet to plug in, Im pretty sure they dont, although if I remember correctly, they do have some electricity. I havent stayed at a hut in maybe 5 or 6 years.

Carl in FL
07-29-2011, 19:40
I was thinking more along the lines of lighting to read by, and maybe a microwave for quick snacks.

WingedMonkey
07-29-2011, 20:54
I was thinking more along the lines of lighting to read by, and maybe a microwave for quick snacks.

No electrical outlets – energy reserved for emergency communications, kitchen, and lighting of common areas. Bunkrooms have no lighting – bring a headlamp or flashlight.

http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/whitemountains/huts/huts-accommodations.cfm

Carl in FL
07-29-2011, 21:05
Thank you, sir. OSHA probably requires those lighted EXIT signs too.