PDA

View Full Version : shorts or pants

Nutbrown
06-06-2011, 08:59
I have zip off pants that are heavier weight, and shorts that I would really LIKE to wear, but I'm worried about my legs being chewed off by skeeters. Would you rather go for being hot, or itchy?

Majortrauma
06-06-2011, 09:11
I think it depends on where you're hiking and in what weather as far as bugs go but you should seriously consider a kilt. I recently hiked for the 1st time in a kilt and bugs were a total non-issue.

Nutbrown
06-06-2011, 09:17
I'll be in southern Va at the end of June into July, so all the bugs in the world will be out. I can't buy new gear this year... already maxed out with down for a diy top quilt and underquilt, so no kilt for me. ...but being a girl, a sport skirt might be on the docket.

ekeverette
06-06-2011, 09:23
are we talking about a kilt for men, or is this a female thing..... never heard of a kilt on the trail....

Sheneequa
06-06-2011, 09:37
The zip-off trousers, even in shorts mode, are too much fabric for me to be clinging and swishing around my sweaty legs in summer. I'd say, go with your shorts or a skort and a little bug spray, checking for ticks every couple hours.

Old Hiker
06-06-2011, 09:47
I wear very thin zip offs regardless of temps. If I sweat, the pants absorb it and wick it away, cooling me pretty much. It's not the insects, but the brush on the sides of the trail I don't like, esp. in the A.M. when it's heavy with dew. Wet pants are better than wet legs to me.

Spider
06-06-2011, 10:00
I've got a pair of REI zipoffs which work great. Though they are lightweight so that may make the difference, it sounds like the pair you've got would be more suited for colder weather. Even still, I'd go with the shorts- I wouldn't want to be hiking in VA in June with pants on. If bugs are that much of a concern, I'd just bring some DEET if you need it.

carobe
06-06-2011, 11:13
Lately I've been wearing my pair of zip-offs, but unzipping them 1/3 - 1/2 of the way for ventilation. You get some decent airflow that way with a good physical barrier.

sbhikes
06-06-2011, 12:07
If you usually hike in pants or in shorts, you should go with what you are used to. If you are planning a thru-hike and choose shorts, put the pants somewhere and then you can just ask someone to mail them to you. Or put them in a bounce box and then you can get them easily or send them home if you decide shorts are working out.

Nutbrown
06-06-2011, 16:10
Thanks.. I think I'll go with shorts and bug spray. After all, it's only 4 days, won't get a deet tumor THAT quickly!

Jonnycat
06-06-2011, 21:42
Always pants, especially now that they have the lightweight nylon jobbies. Mine are currently past their use by date, and I'm looking at coughing up the unreasonable sum to get the ecomesh pants that have the vent in the legs.

bflorac
06-06-2011, 22:51
Only problem with shorts is when you get to tall weeds, in particular, nettles that can make little scrapes and make your legs itch.

lush242000
06-16-2011, 12:29
If it is 50 or above I go with shorts. I have tried the zip off pants but I always find that the zipper section rubs on my legs and irritates me. I would rather carry pants and shorts and switch out as needed.

k2basecamp
06-17-2011, 08:31
Warm weather = running shorts.

Climalite or similar material .

Nosweating , great wicking, lite weight.

Dry quick.

JaxHiker
06-17-2011, 09:18
I find that when I hike in shorts my legs are covered in dirt and debris. Maybe it sounds weird since I'm dirty and sweaty anyway but I hate being covered in crap at the end of the day. On my last hike I was very happy to be in pants since I was hiking through so much poison ivy. I just unzip the legs a bit to ventilate and then I can remove the legs when I stop for the night. I'm thinking about a kilt. We'll have to see about that, though.

ScottP
06-17-2011, 10:18
I rock a kilt

hikerboy57
06-17-2011, 13:24
I almost always wear long pants, even in summer, as I dont want to worry about ticks, whcich I worry about much more than bears snakes or criminals. On extended hikes, I wear convertibles, as I do like shorts when it warrants.

Raul Perez
06-17-2011, 13:37
I also thug out a kilt

zelph
06-18-2011, 00:30
I'd rather be hot than itchy

if the skeeters don't getcha, the poison ivy will.

Kilts are for women

Joker4ink
06-18-2011, 01:04
Sounds like its time to invest in a new set of convertible pants. I have a no-name brand set from Dicks Sporting Goods that work great. The legs weighs barely anything but I can still take them if I think the area I'm going will be buggy or windy. I always hike in shorts but the legs are great to have if you think you may need them.