PDA

View Full Version : Any Experience with the ZPack Cuben Backpack Cover?

Singletrack
06-06-2011, 09:05
Do you have one? Am I assuming right, that it will not wet out like silnylon? Do you like it?

mweinstone
06-06-2011, 09:09
is wet out like get wet? and do you mean silnon with holes in it?

STICK
06-06-2011, 10:35
Cuben will not wet out like silnylon. It is completely waterproof. Here is a little review and a video I did on my ZPacks cuben fiber pack cover:

http://sticksblog.com/clothing/rain-gear/zpacks-cuben-fiber-pack-cover/

Singletrack
06-06-2011, 12:28
Cuben will not wet out like silnylon. It is completely waterproof. Here is a little review and a video I did on my ZPacks cuben fiber pack cover:

http://sticksblog.com/clothing/rain-gear/zpacks-cuben-fiber-pack-cover/

Thanks Stick, I enjoyed the video, it was helpful. I'm looking for a pack cover to use in the Summer months, when I do not use the Packa. I believe I will order a size medium for my Circuit. Most all of my gear is packed inside. Thanks again.

Raul Perez
06-06-2011, 13:27
I have one. Never tested it in the rain yet but his new versions have a grommet in the bottom to help drain out any water that collects.

STICK
06-07-2011, 00:21
I have one. Never tested it in the rain yet but his new versions have a grommet in the bottom to help drain out any water that collects.

I hadn't noticed that he is included the drain hole in the bottom now, but that is cool. Back when I ordered mine they were not included so I had him put one in for me. I learned my lesson quick about how water will pool in the bottom of your pack cover during a good rain! So, when I ordered mine for Joe, that was a bit of a necessity for me.

I think that a medium will work with a Circuit. It may be a little tight at times, but no problem really. TBH, if I had to get another one I would probably go with the medium too.

So, how do you like the packa? How is fit? I am looking at getting one to use myself. I need to sell some rain jackets first though... But I may hit you up with a few ? once I can order one of my own...

Singletrack
06-07-2011, 09:39
Stick, The Packa I have now, is my second one. The first was silnylon. Then Cedar Tree, changed the material, to material you will find on the fly of the Big Agnes tents. Possibilty 190T Polyester, or either Silnylon coated, not sure which. I really like the Packa. It is a bit too warm in the Summer heat here in the S.E. But great for shoulder and Winter seasons.
I have a size Medium, weighs 12 ounces. The pack cover is a bit too big for a Circuit, but that is no problem.
I noticed on your video, that you had slid the hipbelt up, on your Circuit. What size Circuit do you have, and do you use the aluminumn stay?

Raul Perez
06-07-2011, 11:15
I had the packa... Nice rain kit but it didn't fit my style.

Bulky and the kit weighed a bit too much for me getting to UL status.

STICK
06-07-2011, 17:45
My Circuit is a size medium pack with a large hip belt. My torso measures 18.5" and the medium pack fits a torso 18 - 21" so I did move my hip belt up towards the top some what to get the adjustable torso closer to my size. And yes, I do use a stay, however, the Circuit does not use a typical aluminum stay. The stay in the Circuit consists of 2 carbon fiber struts running along the sides with a delrin loop that arches at the top and connects the poles together.

And wouldn't it be cool if we could get a cuben packa... :)

Singletrack
06-07-2011, 18:00
My Circuit is a size medium pack with a large hip belt. My torso measures 18.5" and the medium pack fits a torso 18 - 21" so I did move my hip belt up towards the top some what to get the adjustable torso closer to my size. And yes, I do use a stay, however, the Circuit does not use a typical aluminum stay. The stay in the Circuit consists of 2 carbon fiber struts running along the sides with a delrin loop that arches at the top and connects the poles together.

Stick, I was referring to the single aluminumn stay that runs down the center inside of the back pad. Not the carbon fiber hoop.
If you are unaware of this, look inside your back pad, and it is enclosed in a velcroded compartment running from top of the pad to the bottom. This stay should be shaped to fit your back or spine.
Cuben Fiber Packa, pricey.

skinewmexico
06-07-2011, 18:26

And to think, I was reading this thread, just so I could make a snarky comment about how Stick would already have a packa if it came in cuben. Took all my fun away.

STICK
06-07-2011, 21:39
Singletrack,

Slap me! :)

I know what you are talking about. I even remember pulling it out when I first received the pack and checking it out... yes, I do use the stay. I use the stay and the water bottle straps on mine. The thumb loops/straps are still on it too but I need to take them off, I have never used them. Right now the way it is it weighs 38 oz even. (In my defense, I have had my head wrapped around the SMD Swift I just got in the mail... )

skinewmexico,

I tell ya I have wanted to try out a packa since I noticed a post about one for sell over on BPL a while back. It is an eVENT packa, and he ended up keeping it after all. I like the general ideal of the packa. But it would be nice in cuben...

Have you seen the Cloud Cape over on ZPacks? Not quite the same, but it is cuben... :) 2.5 oz...

QiWiz
06-08-2011, 15:37

I used one on recent section hike and liked it; have version without drain hole and had already decided to add that feature myself. I also found it useful when sleeping in shelters to use as a sort of "basket" at the head or foot of my pad to keep my "stuff" together and easy to find and separate from other hikers stuff.

ChinMusic
06-08-2011, 16:23
I used one on recent section hike and liked it; have version without drain hole and had already decided to add that feature myself. I also found it useful when sleeping in shelters to use as a sort of "basket" at the head or foot of my pad to keep my "stuff" together and easy to find and separate from other hikers stuff.

I had a grommet added to my pack cover too, but they missed the low point. Haven't been in big rain to see if it helped.

I love the part in bold, great idea, for the rare times I have to stay in the a shelter.

ScottP
06-14-2011, 18:58
I've had great experiences with Zpacks overall