PDA

View Full Version : Weather Forecast for at Springer and 100 miles North

One-8T
06-06-2011, 12:49
I am starting a 100 mile section on Friday at Springer and am wondering if anyone local to the area has a decent extended forecast for the various areas.

Also, can you share how the current water sources are running?

Thanks

One-8T

Dobie Swift
06-06-2011, 12:54
Best bet for weather information at various shelters on the trail:

http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/shelters.html

Water report:

http://www.mountaincrossings.com/waterreportga.aspx

max patch
06-06-2011, 13:13
Don't trust the Mountain Crossings or GATC water reports unless the report is currently dated. Last year in August both sources reports were dated in April - which means they were less than useless.

The Mountain Crossings report referenced above is not dated.

The GATC report below is dated; most of the info is outdated and should not be relied upon. Some is current.

http://www.georgia-atclub.org/trail/water.htm

Mountain Shuttler
06-07-2011, 09:13
I am starting a 100 mile section on Friday at Springer and am wondering if anyone local to the area has a decent extended forecast for the various areas.

Also, can you share how the current water sources are running?

Thanks

One-8T
Unfortunately there are no accurate weather forecast for the AT along the section that you're going to hike. However,on this site you will read wild reports of temperatures near 100 degrees and drought like conditions as well as swarms of insects that will eat you alive! In reality,you can usually expect temps in the 50's & 60's for lows with highs in the 70's to mid 80's depending on elevation. It can be surprisingly cool however at higher elevations such as Standing Indian in NC especially in rainy conditions.
Water sources seem to be fine right now according to my hikers. PM me if you have any more questions & enjoy your hike!

moldy
06-07-2011, 09:27
Plan on 90 plus days each and every day and the over low of 70 with a small chance of an afternoon thunderstorm.

Mountain Shuttler
06-07-2011, 22:23
Following are LOCATIONS,TIMES,ACTUAL TEMPERATURES,& SKY CONDITIONS ON & NEAR THE APPALACHIAN TRAIL TODAY. AT MY HOUSE IN DAHLONEGA,1:23 PM,83 DEGREES,SUNNY. GA 400 & HWY 60 INTERSECTION,1:28 PM,87 DEGREES,SUNNY. RUSSELL SCENIC HWY AT GA ALT 75,1:56 PM,84 DEGREES,MOSTLY SUNNY. HOGPEN GAP PARKING AREA,2:07 PM,76 DEGREES,MOSTLY SUNNY. TESNATEE GAP PARKING AREA,2:34 PM,79 DEGREES,PARTLY CLOUDY. DOWNTOWN HELEN,2:59 PM,88 DEGREES,MOSTLY SUNNY. UPPER CHATTAHOOCHEE RIVER AREA,3:26 PM,82 DEGREES,PARTLY CLOUDY. UNICOI GAP PARKING AREA,3:56 PM,81 DEGREES,SUNNY. DICKS CREEK GAP PARKING AREA,4:26 PM,78 DEGREES,CLOUDY. DOWNTOWN HIAWASSEE,4:51 PM,87 DEGREES,CLOUDY. VOGEL STATE PARK ENTRANCE,5:46 PM,81 DEGREES,SUNNY. NEEL GAP AT MOUNTAIN CROSSINGS STORE 5:51 PM,76 DEGREES,SUNNY. DAHLONEGA WAL-MART ENTRANCE,6:54 PM,84 DEGREES,SUNNY,MY HOUSE NEAR THE CHESTATEE RIVER,7:02 PM,81 DEGREES,SUNNY. I also visited with Pirate & Lumpy this afternoon at Neel Gap as well as took pictures at the various locations if anyone doubts these observations. Also,I saw a few gnats at Hogpen & Neel Gap,but otherwise not many bugs at all. What I didn't experience were any really hot temperatures. Of course it always feels hotter when you're carrying a pack!

Trailweaver
06-08-2011, 01:27
I read a lot about the "bugs" along the AT in GA. . . I just don't find that to be a big issue when I go. I hear them buzzing around, but seldom have bites, and have never felt like I was being "eaten alive." And I've never seen a tick. I don't use bug repellant either. Seems odd to me.

Water is going to be your biggest issue here this time of year.

Mountain Shuttler
06-08-2011, 09:38
I read a lot about the "bugs" along the AT in GA. . . I just don't find that to be a big issue when I go. I hear them buzzing around, but seldom have bites, and have never felt like I was being "eaten alive." And I've never seen a tick. I don't use bug repellant either. Seems odd to me.

Water is going to be your biggest issue here this time of year.

So true about the bugs Trailweaver! I grew up below the gnat line in Georgia and they only let up in the evening so that the skeeters can take over! We also had yellow or deer flies bad in the swampy & marshy areas down there. Trust me bugs ain't that bad in the GA mountains compared to a lot of other places. I've actually found them to be worse in the lower elevations of the Great Smokies.
And yes water can be a problem,so always fill your bottles when it's available!

Kerosene
06-08-2011, 10:44
Just got back from hiking Winding Stair Gap to Fontana Dam the week before Memorial Day. Gnats were bothersome, but not terrible, at a number of places when the wind wasn't blowing. There are certainly more bugs out there, but they never really bothered me while I was hiking.

I did appear to run into a number of chiggers, or at least my legs did. I didn't itch as much as some people do, but the bites looked pretty red.

We found a few 'dog' ticks atop Cheoah Bald, but that was it.

Water flow through that section was already markedly lower than reported at the beginning of May, although there was only one completely dry source.

daddytwosticks
06-08-2011, 16:00
Kerosene...I'll be hiking from Wayha (sic) Gap to the NOC last weekend this month. How was the water at Wine Springs, and the three shelters? Thanks. :)

One-8T
06-08-2011, 17:19
Thanks folks for the answers and info. Driving down to Western NC tomorrow night and onto Springer Friday morning. Taking 4 32oz Nalgenes (2 each for my son and I) and a 2L platypus for camp water. Hopefully that will keep me going thru the dry runs.

Going to be a great time. hope to see you on the trail.

One-8T and trippy einstein

Mountain Shuttler
06-08-2011, 19:37
Following are LOCATIONS,TIMES,ACTUAL TEMPERATURES,& SKY CONDITIONS ON & NEAR THE APPALACHIAN TRAIL TODAY. AT MY HOUSE IN DAHLONEGA,1:23 PM,83 DEGREES,SUNNY. GA 400 & HWY 60 INTERSECTION,1:28 PM,87 DEGREES,SUNNY. RUSSELL SCENIC HWY AT GA ALT 75,1:56 PM,84 DEGREES,MOSTLY SUNNY. HOGPEN GAP PARKING AREA,2:07 PM,76 DEGREES,MOSTLY SUNNY. TESNATEE GAP PARKING AREA,2:34 PM,79 DEGREES,PARTLY CLOUDY. DOWNTOWN HELEN,2:59 PM,88 DEGREES,MOSTLY SUNNY. UPPER CHATTAHOOCHEE RIVER AREA,3:26 PM,82 DEGREES,PARTLY CLOUDY. UNICOI GAP PARKING AREA,3:56 PM,81 DEGREES,SUNNY. DICKS CREEK GAP PARKING AREA,4:26 PM,78 DEGREES,CLOUDY. DOWNTOWN HIAWASSEE,4:51 PM,87 DEGREES,CLOUDY. VOGEL STATE PARK ENTRANCE,5:46 PM,81 DEGREES,SUNNY. NEEL GAP AT MOUNTAIN CROSSINGS STORE 5:51 PM,76 DEGREES,SUNNY. DAHLONEGA WAL-MART ENTRANCE,6:54 PM,84 DEGREES,SUNNY,MY HOUSE NEAR THE CHESTATEE RIVER,7:02 PM,81 DEGREES,SUNNY. I also visited with Pirate & Lumpy this afternoon at Neel Gap as well as took pictures at the various locations if anyone doubts these observations. Also,I saw a few gnats at Hogpen & Neel Gap,but otherwise not many bugs at all. What I didn't experience were any really hot temperatures. Of course it always feels hotter when you're carrying a pack!

Thanks folks for the answers and info. Driving down to Western NC tomorrow night and onto Springer Friday morning. Taking 4 32oz Nalgenes (2 each for my son and I) and a 2L platypus for camp water. Hopefully that will keep me going thru the dry runs.

Going to be a great time. hope to see you on the trail.

One-8T and trippy einstein
Thanks for the PM One 8T and I hope you guys have a great hike! BTW,I picked up a hiker at Woody Gap this afternoon who called me because they were cold & a little unprepared for the AT. The temperature when I left my house in Dahlonega around 3:30 PM was 88 degrees and sunny. At the entrance to the Dahlonega Wal-Mart about 5 minutes later it was 93 degrees and partly cloudy. When I reached Woody Gap about 25 minutes later it was only 63 degrees with rain. I took the hiker to Neel Gap and it was 70 degrees & cloudy there,but with no rain. The temperature can be even cooler than it was at Woody after rain especially at elevations over 5000 ft. People tend to forget this when discussing temps on the AT in June,July,& August.

Scratch
06-08-2011, 19:47
I just got back from that section and it was warm and looking like maybe scattered storms. As for the bugs, I can attest that they are in full force. I'm nursing a bite that swelled to the size of a silver dollar. I have about 13 other mosquito bites. Bring bug spray!!

One-8T
06-08-2011, 22:27
Thanks for the extra info guys. I think I have my clothing layers covered, but just in case, I just went to the closet and pulled some Capilene for me and T.E. as well as added some 40% DEET just in case my permethrin doesn't work. Doing pretty decent on weight with me at 24lbs without water and T.E. at 16 lbs sans water. Only carrying 4.5 days food and expect to resupply at Neels after 3 nights.

One-8T
06-08-2011, 22:31
Thanks for the PM One 8T and I hope you guys have a great hike! BTW,I picked up a hiker at Woody Gap this afternoon who called me because they were cold & a little unprepared for the AT. The temperature when I left my house in Dahlonega around 3:30 PM was 88 degrees and sunny. At the entrance to the Dahlonega Wal-Mart about 5 minutes later it was 93 degrees and partly cloudy. When I reached Woody Gap about 25 minutes later it was only 63 degrees with rain. I took the hiker to Neel Gap and it was 70 degrees & cloudy there,but with no rain. The temperature can be even cooler than it was at Woody after rain especially at elevations over 5000 ft. People tend to forget this when discussing temps on the AT in June,July,& August.
I'll try give to you a call when we hit Neels Gap and see if I can arrange something for when we hit Hiawasee for a good meal. We'll be happy to treat you to dinner to pick your brain.

Mountain Shuttler
06-08-2011, 22:52
I'll try give to you a call when we hit Neels Gap and see if I can arrange something for when we hit Hiawasee for a good meal. We'll be happy to treat you to dinner to pick your brain.
Thanks! Looking forward to it!

scope
06-08-2011, 23:03
Hottest evening I've ever spent in a tent was on top of Blue Mt... hot air rises, so being up high isn't always the best... oh, and be sure to take the opportunity to hike in a thunderstorm without rain gear, it rocks... seriously! Not in an exposed area of course.

Mountain Shuttler
06-09-2011, 12:45
Just got back a little while ago from doing a Neel Gap To Woody Gap Shuttle and ACTUALLY HIKING up Big Cedar Mountain to Preacher's Rock. The temperature when I started my hike from Woody Gap at around 8:30 AM was 68 Degrees. When I finished and was leaving Woody at 10:23 AM it was a blazing 72 Degrees. Saw a few gnats at Preacher's Rock while I was taking pictures,but nothing bad at all. Also saw a couple of horseflies and a huge european hornet. I'm happy to report that I had no insect bites whatsoever. Maybe I move too fast for them! Had a nice conversation with the hiker that I shuttled named Brad at Preacher's Rock. I also got some bottles of water out of my van for a couple of hikers at Woody because they were running low. Be sure to fill up when it's available folks! BTW,the temperature when I got back to the Dahlonega Wal-Mart entrance at 10:44 AM was 84 degrees. Amazing isn't it that the temperatures later in the daytime continue to be COOLER IN THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS!