PDA

View Full Version : ALPS Tents

The Cheat
02-01-2005, 09:12
Hi,

Does anybody have an experience with the tents from ALPS Mountaineering?

http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/Lightweight%20Tents.htm

Thanks in Advance,

The Cheat

p.s. in this case I think 'lightweight' is a relative term :)

Todd Kirkendol
02-01-2005, 10:24
I bought my little sister an Alps Osage 2 about a year ago for her birthday. My wife and I were trying to get her into backpacking, but didnt want to spend a lot of money on a tent if it didnt take. When the tent came in, we were really impressed as to the quality of it. It was every bit as nice as my more expensive Kelty at about half the price. A very good value.

Toolshed
02-01-2005, 12:29
I did a pro-test on the Mystique 2.0 last year. I found it to be a nicely made tent - The hardware was heavier duty, like what you find on Boy scout gear, but the tent had a nice design, didn't sag, good stitching and was seam taped. I would have equated this tent almost on par with Kelty or Eureka.
The tent kwpt me dry through a blistering 2 nights of rain and stood up well to an early winter storm (even though it isn't a 4-season tent).

The Cheat
02-01-2005, 12:51
Great information. Thanks!

I realize this is more of a personal opinion question, but any idea if their 1.5 person tents will fit me and my cub scout son? Or should I go up to the 2 person?

Right now we use a 4 person Eureka for car camping but I want something lighter, but still sturdy, for taking him on some 'real' backpacking trips. He's 8 years old and already talking about thru-hiking!!!!!!

MadAussieInLondon
02-01-2005, 13:17
if their 1.5 is similar in size to the zoid 1.5 you should be ok, we did two adults (i guess i count...) in the 1.5, it was shoulder to shoulder, but 1 adult + 1child should be fine...

that 1.5 looks plenty big enough!

Toolshed
02-01-2005, 14:59
I think I'd probably go with the two again if I had my choice - It was great for myself and my small son - Especially to bring some of his gear into the tent.

The Cheat
02-01-2005, 20:14
Thanks for all the info.