PDA

View Full Version : Flip-flopping/Advice needed

FORTIS
06-06-2011, 20:32
My current plan is to leave July 1 by heading north from Harper's Ferry and to arrive at Katahdin by the end of September (78 days hiking + 14 zero/nero days). I would then head back to Harper's Ferry and head South to Erwin, TN where I got off the trail in May (43 days hiking + 15 zero/nero days) concluding my 2011 thru hike by November 30th.

1) Does this sound like a desirable/plausible flip-flop?
2) When heading south from Harper's Ferry during late September-early October would you start off with your cold weather gear?
3) Will I see other hikers when leaving Harper's Ferry at this time or should I count on hiking solo for the most part?

Any comments/suggestions that you guys might would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Fortis

Cookerhiker
06-06-2011, 20:37
My current plan is to leave July 1 by heading north from Harper's Ferry and to arrive at Katahdin by the end of September (78 days hiking + 14 zero/nero days). I would then head back to Harper's Ferry and head South to Erwin, TN where I got off the trail in May (43 days hiking + 15 zero/nero days) concluding my 2011 thru hike by November 30th.

2) When heading south from Harper's Ferry during late September-early October would you start off with your cold weather gear?
3) Will I see other hikers when leaving Harper's Ferry at this time or should I count on hiking solo for the most part?

Thanks,
Fortis

I understand the advantages starting on a fairly easy section of trail to work yourself up for the challenges of New England. The downside is the July heat will be brutal in MD, PA, NJ, NY and water sources will be scarce-to-nonexistent. Have you considered a straight SOBO to Erwin starting at Katahdin?

DapperD
06-06-2011, 20:41

Thanks,
FortisI guess you might have to put in some good daily milage with this schedule:-?

Blissful
06-06-2011, 22:19
You'll see plenty of assorted hikers in July on through until you flip, then it will die down tremendously, esp later Oct on.

Looks like a reasonable plan to me. Just be sure you have winter gear for the end as you can get early snowfall down south , esp Smokies
I'd have some cold weather gear by mid Oct. Shouldn't be too bad though. Also, bring blaze orange for hunters. They will be everywhere.

FORTIS
06-08-2011, 15:45
I understand the advantages starting on a fairly easy section of trail to work yourself up for the challenges of New England. The downside is the July heat will be brutal in MD, PA, NJ, NY and water sources will be scarce-to-nonexistent. Have you considered a straight SOBO to Erwin starting at Katahdin?

Cookerhiker, I have considered a straight SOBO to Erwin But I'm coming off of a fractured ankle and I already made the mistake of trying to get back on the trail before it was healed. Am I wrong in thinking that starting at Katahdin and heading south would initially be harder on my injury than say starting at Harper's Ferry?

I can handle the heat but is water really that scarce? What are other hikers doing during this portion of the trail?

Thanks

Lauriep
06-08-2011, 16:19
July 1 seems a little late to be starting from Harpers Ferry given your situation. That date isn't too late for northbounders, most of whom are doing 20-mile days comfortably by the time they reach here. Plenty are still coming through then.

But, it wouldn't be wise to expect to start out with that kind of mileage, and if you have another injury or a family emergency requiring a trip home, you might feel like you're racing the clock to reach Baxter before October 15. Why not give yourself a cushion and start at Delaware Water Gap, or the NY train stop by Pawling, NY?

Knowing you have plenty of time might also help keep you from trying to keep up with the thru-hikers when you start and re-injuring your ankle. It could help you avoid the mental baggage you might feel if you were jumping in toward the end of the thru-hiker pack and then immediately falling behind.

It would also be nice to minimize your time in the low-elevation areas of the mid-Atlantic in summer, too, while it's really hot and humid.

Laurie P.
ATC

FORTIS
06-08-2011, 16:50
July 1 seems a little late to be starting from Harpers Ferry given your situation. That date isn't too late for northbounders, most of whom are doing 20-mile days comfortably by the time they reach here. Plenty are still coming through then.

But, it wouldn't be wise to expect to start out with that kind of mileage, and if you have another injury or a family emergency requiring a trip home, you might feel like you're racing the clock to reach Baxter before October 15. Why not give yourself a cushion and start at Delaware Water Gap, or the NY train stop by Pawling, NY?

Knowing you have plenty of time might also help keep you from trying to keep up with the thru-hikers when you start and re-injuring your ankle. It could help you avoid the mental baggage you might feel if you were jumping in toward the end of the thru-hiker pack and then immediately falling behind.

It would also be nice to minimize your time in the low-elevation areas of the mid-Atlantic in summer, too, while it's really hot and humid.

Laurie P.
ATC

Thanks for the suggestion laurie. I've been playing around with your suggestion and I must say it does make good sense. The mental baggage is what got in my way in the first place :) Based on this scenario when heading south from Delaware Water gap in September would I need to switch back to my summer gear in your opinion? Thanks.

Lauriep
06-08-2011, 17:30
Winter gear southbound? To me it's not as clear cut when you'd need it. But I'd say sometime in mid- to late-October. You probably won't be near that far south, but just be sure you have it before Mt. Rogers (Pearisburg, Bland, or Groseclose/Atkins as maildrops).

Others can probably give more precise advice on this.

Laurie

stranger
06-17-2011, 23:50
If it were me, for a July 1st start I would do one of the following:

(a) Hike southbound from Katahdin
(b) Start north from North Adams, MA, then flip and hike south

The mid-atlantic is not the most exciting section of trail, and it's a long section, there isn't a whole lot of overly interesting stuff between Harpers Ferry and Vermont in my opinion (it's fine, just alot of roads and farms), so to start at Harpers Ferry, in the peak of summer, for me wouldn't be my first choice.

Saying that, I find the mid-atlantic interesting for different reasons, and would hike it again, but summer is another story.

Lauriep
06-18-2011, 09:02
Stranger's suggestion of starting from North Adams, MA is a good one, too. Vermont, on average, is a little cooler than the mid-Atlantic due to more northerly latitude and higher mountains. And, the terrain is moderate.

Starting southbound from Katahdin July 1 makes a lot of sense logistically, but Maine is just so tough, I wouldn't recommend it unless you're in terrific shape, an experienced backpacker, already know how to keep your pack weight low, or just like to do things the hard way.

moldy
06-18-2011, 10:57
No mater where you start the flip, this is quite doable. I have hiked the Southern Appalachians 3 years in a row in October with a 40 degree bag and a back up fleece and I will do it again this Fall. But I have a down coat also that I sometimes have to sleep in. I'm in a shelter alone about half the time and see people every day. In the busy areas I see lots of weekenders and dayhikers checking out the colors. During bad weather you will have it all to yourself.

stranger
06-20-2011, 03:46
Stranger's suggestion of starting from North Adams, MA is a good one, too. Vermont, on average, is a little cooler than the mid-Atlantic due to more northerly latitude and higher mountains. And, the terrain is moderate.

Starting southbound from Katahdin July 1 makes a lot of sense logistically, but Maine is just so tough, I wouldn't recommend it unless you're in terrific shape, an experienced backpacker, already know how to keep your pack weight low, or just like to do things the hard way.

What I was thinking as well, starting in Vermont gives you 150 or so miles to warm up, saying that, perhaps it would be better to start near the MA/CT border, just to get that much more fit. For me, I find it takes me about 200-300 miles to get into peak shape, and I train hard beforehand and have decent experience. Hitting the Whites after 150 miles might be a shock.

hotsallyhoffer10
06-20-2011, 04:05
hi,
i'm new here,
can you tell me about this forum?
=================================================
http://freeimagestocks.com/content/69/grey.png
http://freeimagestocks.com/content/69/love.gif
http://freeimagestocks.com/content/69/good.gif