PDA

View Full Version : Pacer Poles

ciphoto
06-07-2011, 05:24
I was looking at Pacer Poles and wondering about them. Any one got any feed back?

peace

Rocket Jones
06-07-2011, 06:16
Absolutely love mine.

The only downside is that they're a little more difficult to use to make my tarptent freestanding because of the irregularly shaped handles (not that I do that very often).

I have an idea to create a kind of cup-stirrup out of ripstop for the handle ends, but haven't gotten around to actually making them yet.

Lyle
06-07-2011, 09:56
I've had mine for six plus years. LOVE THEM. Will never go back to traditional poles. Why?

1) much more comfortable to hold onto all day - hand is in a much more neutral position
2) no messing with wrist straps. The wrist tether is solely for convenience
3) much more comfortable for downhill - just lean on the grip, much as you would with a cane. This is a biggy for me!!!
4) more precise placement of pole tip while hiking - avoids placing in rock or root crevices and getting tip stuck
5)great customer service - I lost one of the carbide tips while hiking in the Boundary Waters, a quick phone call had a replacement set on the way with instructions for replacing. Did cost $12.

In regard to difficulty using for tarps/tarptents. I have a Gossamer Gear The One, SMD Wild Oasis, and a Go-Lite Shangri-La. I have also used simple, basic tarps. The only one that offers any more of a challenge for setting up is The One. This is due precisely to the pole stirrup that is designed to hold the grip. It can still be done with a bit of practice, but does need to be aligned properly. The others offer no added challenge.

Hope this helps confirm some of the advantages. I've used a simple walking stick picked up in the woods for years, Komperdell (REI) trekking poles for many more years, and now these. These win hands down.

ciphoto
06-08-2011, 14:55
Thanks, for the feedback, it confirms my thoughts... I've never used poles, an occasional stick, but these looked interesting... specially the hand position...

Add to my list of thing to get...

kayak karl
06-08-2011, 15:00
got 1500 miles on mine. great poles.