PDA

View Full Version : Driving Directions to VA 672

Big Guy
06-07-2011, 08:28
Planning a weekend trip from Grayson Highlands State Park to VA route 672. Need directions to the trail head at VA 672 from I81. I will be coming from Johnson City, Tn on East I81.
Also am I correct to think that there is ample water on this section since we have had a lot of rain. Appreciate the help. Big Guy

jlb2012
06-07-2011, 10:14
this is the gravel road just north of Trimpi shelter - right?

looking at Google Maps I would suggest north on I81 to exit 45 and take VA 16 south (probably also has sign for Grayson Highlands)

in Sugar Grove take a right (bear right?) onto Teas Rd. (also called Main Rd. or Forest Hwy 11 or VA 601)

from there follow directions from http://rohland.homedns.org/at/state/state_detail/AT_state_detail.aspx?stateID=11%20&sectionID=169 :

"From Sugar Grove on VA 16, take VA 601 west for 2.4 miles. Just before crossing Holston River, intersection with VA 672 (Slabtown Road) is reached. Go left on gravel VA 672 and continue for 3 miles to trail crossing."

"Trail from south comes up an old farm road then starts to climb hill on other side of VA 672. I saw some wide spots and pull-offs where roadside parking might be possible. Marker on the map indicates the trail crossing. Note on the satellite view that there is a car parked just west of the crossing. 6/11/07 "