PDA

View Full Version : Tent choice: Rainshadow2 vs Lunar Duo vs Light Heart Duo

cvillars
06-07-2011, 09:57
I am interesting in purchasing a new backpacking tent. Typically I will have 2 adults in the tent. I have a 96 mile backpacking trip in Scotland on the West Highland Way this summer, and I'm looking to lighten my load.

I've narrowed my choice down to three tents:
- Tarptent Rainshadow 2
- Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo
- Light Heart Duo

Any comments or thoughts on what I should consider and which one I should choose?

Thanks
Curt

10-K
06-07-2011, 10:14
The only one I have any experience with is the Lunar Duo and I can't imagine a better 2 person tent with anywhere near as much rooom for the weight.

I imagine no matter which of the 3 you picked you'd be pretty happy.

bigcranky
06-07-2011, 10:34
We own a Lunar Duo and we owned an original Rainshadow. They are both amazing shelters for the weight -- excellent interior room, great weather protection. The Rainshadow can sleep 3 adults.

Given my personal preferences, I would get another Lunar Duo. I like having two doors and two vestibules, and I prefer my doors on the long side for views and ventilation. But either of them would be a fine choice.

jayfreefly
12-26-2011, 11:12
I've have a Lunar Duo only used 5 nights in perfect condition, that I'll let go for $200.

skinewmexico
12-26-2011, 13:24
Great deal.Tempting.

Franco
12-26-2011, 15:50
The TT StratoSpire 2 is a bit more expensive but worth having a look...
http://www.tarptent.com/stratospire2.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnE40fJwLts&list=UU0PuLUKvG7Fxxex5BMVK4vw&index=4&feature=plcp
Franco
[email protected]

DeeHiker
12-27-2011, 16:11
Can anyone recommend a good 3-season tent just for camping? Don't know where to start. Appreciate any feedback.

Deedee/SC

solobip
12-27-2011, 16:34
Do not have first hand knowledge with the others, but just received a LH Duo for Christmas and am impressed with the weight/size ratio, It is very large for two and weighes only 2 lbs. Have not used on a trip but have set up for sealing and really loke the LH, and they are still on sale, under $250. US

solobip
12-27-2011, 16:35
loke means "like" in post holiday sugar crash.

bigcranky
12-27-2011, 16:51
Can anyone recommend a good 3-season tent just for camping? Don't know where to start. Appreciate any feedback.

Do you mean car camping in a state park? Or backpacking? For car camping we use a 6-person dome tent, since the weight doesn't matter at all, and I like being able to stand up. Lots of these available at LL Bean, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, or your local sporting goods store.

For backpacking it gets more complicated - how many people, where you'll be hiking (and when), what your budget it, etc. If that's what you need, provide more info and you'll get some good suggestions here.

LIhikers
01-01-2012, 22:04
I am interesting in purchasing a new backpacking tent. Typically I will have 2 adults in the tent. I have a 96 mile backpacking trip in Scotland on the West Highland Way this summer, and I'm looking to lighten my load.

I've narrowed my choice down to three tents:
- Tarptent Rainshadow 2
- Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo
- Light Heart Duo

Any comments or thoughts on what I should consider and which one I should choose?

Thanks
Curt

My wife and I use a Tarptent Rainshodow II. It's light, roomy, and does a good job protecting us from both weather and bugs. It is pretty large which can make it hard to fit into a camp site with limited space.