PDA

View Full Version : Lott Road, Unionville NY

stranger
12-05-2002, 20:24
.04 off the trail is Horlers General Store which has a good amount of groceries, deli section, ice cream and cold beer. I highly recommend it. If it's a blistering hot day duck out at the gazeebo next to the PO, there's a playground and a privy! What else do you need.

Moose2001
12-14-2002, 11:32
I'll second Stranger's comments. Also had the nicest clerk in the Post Office that I encounterd my whole trip (never really hit a bad one anyway but she was sooooo friendly and interested in how my hike was going). Just .5 off the trail. Grab mail, sandwich, cold drink, load up on goodies and back on the trail.

Hammock Hanger
12-14-2002, 21:14
I was suppose to met someone in town for breakfast but there being no restaurant they headed off. It was around 9:45 when I got to the PO, and it was just pouring rain. The super nice postal lady let me repackage some stuff out on the back dock where I was out of the rain and the WIND. I ran across the street to the grocery got 2 huge subs. Came back and ate one on the PO dock. Packed the other for later. Easy on an off to the trail for great subs.

There is a so called HOSTEL at the bar in town. I met a hiker that stayed there. Said it was like a storeroom with slats on the wall as bunks. He thought, hell it's raining and I'm tired. So he stayed. The bar was loud until like 2 in the morning. He said the bathroom is in the bar, so once that closes - no bathroom. This place is located in the center of town and using a tree or a bush is impossible. He said when morning came he had to use a ziplock....

Hammock Hanger

Jumpstart
12-15-2002, 12:15
Unionville was the most patriotic town we passed through. Went in for a maildrop and was almost overcome with emotion at the site of an American flag hanging from EVERY possible place you could hang one. ood General Store...we had a freind pick us for visiting here, and about 10 miles out of town there is a great pizza place. Nice place, hard to beleive it was so close to NYC.

ChicagoRob
02-02-2004, 10:50
Any updates for Unionville, NY?
Is the store still open?
How's the resupply?
Thanks.

jbwood5
05-22-2004, 18:21
I stopped there this year (5/5/04). I had a good meal in the bar/restaurant and walked up to the general store for a few supplies. It is a pretty well stocked store for a small town. I even got a mother's day card there to mail to mom, :) which I really didn't expect them to have.

As you are going North bound, you will cross many roads as you approach the town. The trail maintainers have labeled each road which is a very good thing. Turn left down Lott St. which becomes Jersey St. When it ends, go right to the bar restaurant or left to the store/P.O.

This is fairly convenient to the trail.

Just John

Footslogger
05-22-2004, 19:11
Another thing about Unionville ...if you hit it late in the day and decide not to hike out you can pitch a tent near the gazebo in the town park. All you have to do is stop into the market which is diagonally across the street from the park and check-in with the store clerk. There is no cost for the overnight stay and the park has a jiffy john and water fountain where you can fill your containers.

I ate dinner in the bar at the other end of town on my thru last year. At first I was tempted to stay at the hostel, called "the shelves" until I took a look at them. I guess in really bad weather they'd be better than a tent but the width of the sleeping surface is less than a thermarest. If you're a toss-and-turn type of sleeper you might need a seat belt to avoid falling off.

All in all though I found Unionville to be nice little stop-over. People were friendly and the food in the bar was excellent.

'Slogger

orangebug
05-23-2004, 07:36
I ate dinner in the bar at the other end of town on my thru last year. At first I was tempted to stay at the hostel, called "the shelves" until I took a look at them. I guess in really bad weather they'd be better than a tent but the width of the sleeping surface is less than a thermarest. If you're a toss-and-turn type of sleeper you might need a seat belt to avoid falling off.

On my last section hike (May 02) I visited the bar and looked at their hostel. They indicated it was rarely used. The shelves reminded me of catacombs in Rome where they store dead Popes.

Hamburgers fries and two beers were less than $10, with great conversation and local color. :clap I did not make it to the post office or the grocery store, although they sound great.

The next shelter north is only about 3 hours away if you stroll - quicker if a thunderstorm chases you.

Bill...