PDA

View Full Version : Parking in Salisbury CT??

hawkeye
06-07-2011, 17:27
Hey, I planning a 3 day trip on the CT. AT heading north and double back. Anyone know of parking in Salisbury,CT? We can't get a ride so we have to make it a loop trip or out and back. My 3rd friend in the trip has not backpacked before and I want to make it a bit easy on him. Also any ideas on a good loop in Mass or CT would be great.

tdoczi
06-07-2011, 18:34
ive parked overnight in the lot just beneath riga and the lions head with no problem. and looping around there is easy also.

cricket71
06-07-2011, 18:47
you can park off rt. 41, it's a good sized lot. It's a good location for access to riga,lions head, and bear. little farther and your into sages ravine. HAPPY HIKING.

Chenango
06-07-2011, 19:01
Park at Maria's for a small fee. She is a short walk from the AT. Check AT gUide for her phone. I am out oftown right now and do not have her number.

She is a great lady!!

Driver8
06-07-2011, 20:10
That would be Maria McCabe, for the record, a trail angel in Salisbury who boards thrus. You can start at Rt. 41 AT parking area about a mile north of Salisbury Village and hike about 15 trail miles to Jug End Road parking area, hitching a ride back to your starting point with a fellow hiker. Or you could continue past to Rt. 41 in Mass, another mostly level mile or so, and thumb it from there back.

If you want a little more in-town activity around your car, you could ask about parking at Peter Beck's, a new outfitter in town who's very nice and accommodating. Pete originated two National Trails Day hikes from his store this past Sat - I liked him a lot.

hawkeye
06-07-2011, 20:27
Thanks everyone for the info. Might also be looking at Mt Graylock in Ma. Looks like a better chance to get a lop out of it.

Driver8
06-07-2011, 21:27
Thanks everyone for the info. Might also be looking at Mt Graylock in Ma. Looks like a better chance to get a lop out of it.

Greylock is magnificent. On a clear day, the summit views are amazing. I highly recommend you cover the A.T. stretch from Jones Nose Trail to Greylock Summit. The forest on Saddleball must be seen. I've not done the Hopper yet, but I've heard that trail also is outstanding.

DBCFlash
06-07-2011, 21:46
When are you going? I'm leaving Salisbury early next week NOBO for a few days. Lost my trail buddy so I'm going alone.

Wil
06-07-2011, 22:49
Jug End Road parking areaYou _may_ be able to park overnight in that area as well. A couple of years ago I talked with a patrol person who covers the area (a S Egremont officer I think) who said _he_ would give a car a pass for two nights before taking any action. He also suggested calling the station and leaving a message describing the car and how long it would be there.

It is, of course, sign-prohibited to park overnight in the Jug End Loop lot. And there is a gate there that may be closed at or after sundown.

But according to what I have heard the police will not tow or ticket ("none of our business") unless a complaint is made by the lot owner. Though again, after noticing a car there for more than two nights, some action might be taken.

mweinstone
06-07-2011, 22:52
marie in salsbury helps hikers. i have her number and shes a great friend of mine. she may be able to let you leave a car at her house and shuttle you. shes wonderful and full of history. she lives across from the whitehorse .

hawkeye
06-08-2011, 07:19
When are you going? I'm leaving Salisbury early next week NOBO for a few days. Lost my trail buddy so I'm going alone.

We are planning on the week of the 20th right now. Sorry.

modiyooch
06-08-2011, 20:00
I enjoyed the hike from Jug End to Salisbury. I would park at Maria's and have someone shuttle you to Jug End or further north and walk back to Maria's. You could get one of the hiker's staying at her house to shuttle you with your own car.

Maria did shuttle us, but she is 81 years old and I didn't like getting her up so early.

She is a great lady.

mark schofield
06-09-2011, 06:13
there's a large town owned lot behind Maria's house. I've parked there a few times. There were some other cars there. It's on the road that goes past the trail parking for Riga, Right before the road to Maria's house.