PDA

View Full Version : Half Dome: Do It or Skip It?

Hooch
06-07-2011, 17:37
What do you think?

royalusa
06-07-2011, 17:40
Do it!!!!! It's a very cool place with very neat climbing (using chains) to get there. Great views. It's one of our favorite trips.

Helmuth.Fishmonger
06-07-2011, 17:50
do Clouds Rest instead - better view, no standing in line at the cables. It's way overrated

Toolshed
06-07-2011, 17:58
How you gonna feel about it in 10 years. Will you wish you had done it?

royalusa
06-07-2011, 18:10
do Clouds Rest instead - better view, no standing in line at the cables. It's way overrated

I think the lines at the cable depend on when you hit that section. We hit it early in the morning as we had camped relatively nearby (within 5 miles if my memory is correct). We were the second and third ones up. It was great. Climbing the cables was half the fun for me, as I have a fear of heights and wanted to see if I could do it. I actually practiced for it at home beforehand, by putting a ladder against the side of our 2-story house and climbing up and down it until I was comfortable.

We also did Clouds Rest and it was great too.

ChinMusic
06-07-2011, 18:10
If you have never done Half Dome, and don't have plans to do it in the future...........it's a no-brainer IMO.

Yes, unless you get there very early in the day, there will be a line, but that is a part of it. Unless you are a climber it is an experience you have never had before.

I enjoyed my trip up Half Dome last year so much, I am taking my daughter there this summer. I MORE THAN AGREE with hitting Clouds Rest as well. It doesn't have to be an either-or. After leaving the Half Dome Trail the Clouds Rest trail branches to the left after like 1/2 mile. I actually cried on top of Clouds Rest. It is absolutely at the top of my list of places I have been while backpacking. Half Dome is a memorable climb. Clouds Rest is simply a memorable place.

To take in Clouds Rest you will be skipping a rather boring section of the JMT for incredible views. I would only skip Clouds Rest if the weather were poor. You DO NOT want to be on Clouds Rest in bad weather and that obviously goes for Half Dome as well.

Ewker
06-07-2011, 19:10
you will be sorry if you don't do it. That it is me sitting on the diving board

http://inlinethumb47.webshots.com/42158/2585349250040497854S600x600Q85.jpg

ChinMusic
06-07-2011, 19:23
Me on Half Dome:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/Backpacking/Yosemite%202010/Yosemite2010_4146_7_8Enhancer.jpg

View of Half Dome from Clouds Rest (~1K higher):
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/Backpacking/Yosemite%202010/Yosemite2010_5008_09_10Enhancer.jpg

mweinstone
06-07-2011, 19:28
What do you think?

horrifing behavior. skip? do this thing and i assure you we shall never share a bacon greesed tissue. fool!

mweinstone
06-07-2011, 19:34
my hands are stinking of poo right now. i worked in the most horrid after hours club bathrooms today. but you just wait. after ive bleached my hands and taken a ride on my bike into the deepest getto to dispell the days hate, ill be back. and not just cause the dogers have a one to nothing lead on my phills. cause i got buissness with this hooch or whatever hes calling his not gonna climb my favorite mountain since i was able to carve ice cream into mountains mountain ass. im gonna post such a thorough history and such vintage collectors first addition pics of this baby of mine,....you will climb. and if by chance you get a bad day and have no fun,...youll still climb biatch!
wait right their.
bleach please,....more on my computer please...ahhhh...

Driver8
06-07-2011, 21:34
Me on Half Dome: ...

View of Half Dome from Clouds Rest (~1K higher):

Amazing. Thank you!

Sierra Echo
06-07-2011, 21:44
Do it!!!!!!!!

Dogwood
06-07-2011, 22:31
If you have never done Half Dome, and don't have plans to do it in the future...........it's a no-brainer IMO.

Yes, unless you get there very early in the day, there will be a line, but that is a part of it. Unless you are a climber it is an experience you have never had before.

I enjoyed my trip up Half Dome last year so much, I am taking my daughter there this summer. I MORE THAN AGREE with hitting Clouds Rest as well. ***It doesn't have to be an either-or.*** After leaving the Half Dome Trail the Clouds Rest trail branches to the left after like 1/2 mile. I actually cried on top of Clouds Rest. It is absolutely at the top of my list of places I have been while backpacking. Half Dome is a memorable climb. Clouds Rest is simply a memorable place.

To take in Clouds Rest you will be skipping a rather boring section of the JMT for incredible views. I would only skip Clouds Rest if the weather were poor. You DO NOT want to be on Clouds Rest in bad weather and that obviously goes for Half Dome as well.

Can't say it any better than Chin Music did! I 100 % agree with what he posted!

Go super EARLY for sunrise or stay after sunset when the summit can be empty! When staying for sunset I bring my jacket(warm clothing), headlamp, some snacks, TAKE MY TIME COMING DOWN SAFELY, no backpack, and have already set up base camp near the HD/JMT junction peferably near/on the edge of Little Yosemite Valley?/canyon. I think that's the canyon! Water is usually available at a spring on the way to the top of HD before hitting the cables. I have taken in sunsets from atop Half Dome when I was the only one up there during the early spring and fall hiking seasons. Pure magic! When experiencing HD's summit after sunset under a full moon, I pinch myself and cry too!

Look at those pics posted by Ewker and Chin Music! Come on! That's not something everyone does every day! That's not a view everyone gets to appreciate every day!

Those pics remind me of one of the most famous sites on the AT - McAfees Knob!

mweinstone
06-07-2011, 22:44
do any of you understand how the cables were first layed? i mean the very first? the story is so good, its like ,...trail magic good.also, if you own fifty classic climbs of north america by steve roper and allen steck, read about half dome.

mweinstone
06-07-2011, 22:50
also, climb half dome. because you will hate yourself every time you tell the story of how you could have.

Dogwood
06-07-2011, 23:06
Classic climbing and adventure book Matty. Good rec.

mweinstone
06-07-2011, 23:11
im looking feaverishly for the book with the lithographs of the cowhand /climber who each summer returned to half dome thru winters of destruction to his cable and thru wars until, after years of standing on his toe and lassoing nails above him and pulling himself up, he strung the first route.its such a cool ass tale. you know witch book im looking for? i got all of em.

lori
06-07-2011, 23:11
Go ahead and get the permit stamped on your wilderness permit - if the weather's bad, don't go, lightening strikes happen all year.

BTW, that's called the Visor. The Diving Board is near but not on the Dome. That's a different hike, but to get an idea of the picture you get from the Diving Board, google yourself up the Monolith by Ansel Adams - great view of the face without having to be a climber.

By the time you get to Whitney, Half Dome will be SO last week. Meh. The tops of the passes are far more awesome and you'll share it with maybe a handful of people instead of the 100-400 you'll find at Half Dome. Donahue was cool, Thousand Island Pass was just a really, really nice walk in windswept pines and flowers, views of the lakes were awesome from up there - good grief, don't get me started on all the things I intend to do AGAIN. Forester Pass! OMG. All the foxtail pines and golden trout.... I'm thinking I'll have to go again real soon, thanks to you.

Dogwood
06-07-2011, 23:18
My take: Enjoy it all! Never take a blase unappreciative perspective.

mweinstone
06-07-2011, 23:20
i gave it away like ten times and only bought it nine.lol
anyway, he had like 6 weeks each season between cattledrives and weather chasing him out. and he had no money at all. he had to save up rounds of ammo to hunt and scraps of old rope to do his deed. his big toe or his second toe , i forget, was the only way he could climb. standing on the ground, he reached up and drove a nail. then he tied a peice of rope to it and pulled himself up. then he repeted this. when he came back after winter storms each spring, he had to lasso the nails and start again.

mweinstone
06-07-2011, 23:24
Go ahead and get the permit stamped on your wilderness permit - if the weather's bad, don't go, lightening strikes happen all year.

BTW, that's called the Visor. The Diving Board is near but not on the Dome. That's a different hike, but to get an idea of the picture you get from the Diving Board, google yourself up the Monolith by Ansel Adams - great view of the face without having to be a climber.

By the time you get to Whitney, Half Dome will be SO last week. Meh. The tops of the passes are far more awesome and you'll share it with maybe a handful of people instead of the 100-400 you'll find at Half Dome. Donahue was cool, Thousand Island Pass was just a really, really nice walk in windswept pines and flowers, views of the lakes were awesome from up there - good grief, don't get me started on all the things I intend to do AGAIN. Forester Pass! OMG. All the foxtail pines and golden trout.... I'm thinking I'll have to go again real soon, thanks to you.your talking out your dome. he needs to go like we go to the pinnicle in pa. its whats done.

Helmuth.Fishmonger
06-08-2011, 00:46
The only way I'd consider to climb Half Dome these days is before the cables go up. Perfect time with no permits, no traffic, and not much harder

here's a recent trip report of such a Half Dome climb:

http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads.php/topics/14324/Half_Dome_with_Cables_Down#Post14324

lori
06-08-2011, 07:19
Sorry, dude, the Dome is overrated and overrun with tourists.

Way better view from Clouds Rest. Or Mt Dana - tho that's not on the JMT...

All the best views are OF the dome. I know everyone thinks they have to go and be one of the thousands of people who've been there, but eh, whatever.

Cookerhiker
06-08-2011, 08:26
I didn't go to Half Dome on my '06 hike (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=157093) because we wanted to make it from the Valley to Sunrise High Sierra Camp in one day; 13 miles and gross elevation ascent of nearly 6,000' left no time for the Half Dome side trip. The views and sights on the rest of the hike were so spectacular that I never looked back and regretted forgoing it.

OTOH, perhaps if we had included Half Dome and effectively taken an extra day or half-day getting up to Cathedral Pass, I would have acclimated easier. The second day hit me like a ton of bricks.

Phreak
06-08-2011, 09:48
I agree the view from Clouds Rest is more spectacular but I would recommend doing Half Dome as well. Both are worth seeing at least once.

sbhikes
06-08-2011, 10:16
I attempted it when I was 16. I froze in fear partway up the cables and had to be lowered down. I've never attempted it again and never felt sorry. I'd vote to skip it for myself, but for you, I say go for it.

Helmuth.Fishmonger
06-08-2011, 11:51
view from Half Dome at sunset West

http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/outdoor/gallery/JMT1989/day%2001/slides/JMT_1989_0621.jpg

view from Clouds Rest at sunset West

http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/outdoor/gallery/JMT1990/Clouds_Rest/slides/803_half_dome_at_dusk.jpg

view from Half Dome at Sunrise West

http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/outdoor/gallery/JMT1989/day%2002/slides/JMT_1989_0719.jpg

view from Clouds Rest at Sunrise West

http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/outdoor/gallery/JMT1990/Clouds_Rest/slides/834_valley_late.jpg

And those are all the more intersting moments of the day. You climb it mid morning or later and everything turns hazy blue and flat.

Dana and Clouds Rest are THE mountains to climb in Yosemite if you want a view without much technical challenge. Half Dome is just for bragging rights.

verysimple
05-29-2014, 21:12
I am planning to through hike JMT this year and plan to visit both HD and Cloud's Rest.. What's the best route/timing to hit both and continue on JMT?

rocketsocks
05-29-2014, 21:23
I am planning to through hike JMT this year and plan to visit both HD and Cloud's Rest.. What's the best route/timing to hit both and continue on JMT?
Ask Mathewski...aka "the half dome kid" :D

Matty you got your ears on?

ChinMusic
05-29-2014, 21:36

My plan would be to hike up HD on day one and camp at the Clouds Rest/JMT junction. Hit Clouds Rest the next morning and spend a lot of time up there. Continue on over Clouds Rest, down to Sunrise Lakes and take side trail back to join the JMT. It is well marked.

Malto
05-29-2014, 21:41
Dana and Clouds Rest are THE mountains to climb in Yosemite if you want a view without much technical challenge. Half Dome is just for bragging rights.

Once I looked out from Clouds rest over Half dome, bragging rights were not worth much. I have hiked hundreds of miles of Yosemite and Half Dome will likely be the last miles I ever hike in Yosemite. (I also think Yosemite is over-rated compared to SEKI.)

verysimple
05-29-2014, 21:43
My plan would be to hike up HD on day one and camp at the Clouds Rest/JMT junction. Hit Clouds Rest the next morning and spend a lot of time up there. Continue on over Clouds Rest, down to Sunrise Lakes and take side trail back to join the JMT. It is well marked.

Thanks. That cuts out part of jmt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocketsocks
05-29-2014, 21:44
I did not climb Half Dome when I was there, and somewhat regret no doing so, but I did get to climb with a guide while there, so I still have those memories.

ChinMusic
05-29-2014, 21:46

Yes, about 6 miles if I remember right. If that is something you do not want to do you will have to backtrack once you get to Clouds Rest.

Malto
05-29-2014, 21:47

that part of the JMT is far from the highlights, it's VERY dry with limited views.

Coffee
05-29-2014, 21:52
(I also think Yosemite is over-rated compared to SEKI.)
As a CA native who lived in the state for my first 29 years, it never occurred to me to prioritize SEKI and I visited Yosemite nearly every summer, sometimes several times. First time in SEKI was last summer on the JMT. Mile for mile it is much more impressive!

MuddyWaters
05-29-2014, 21:55
For the same reason some dont skip parts of the AT, or PCT, some dont want to skip part of the JMT.
You cannot say you hiked it all. Yes , its silly and shouldnt matter, but it does to some.

Backtracking down a couple mi from Cloudsrest shouldnt be an issue.

Lots of hikers skip miles leaving Reds Meadow, MTR, and VVR . VVR is recommending coming in a different route, and leaving by the bear creek trail this yr since ferry service is limited, will cause people to skip 13 miles, replaced with the same distance only a bit less vertical.

verysimple
05-29-2014, 22:00
Any suggestions where to cache the backpack and bear canister? Safe from crime?

ChinMusic
05-29-2014, 22:10
Any suggestions where to cache the backpack and bear canister? Safe from crime?

I'd leave your pack at the area just before the cables. Nothing is 100% but that feels like the best option.

MuddyWaters
05-30-2014, 18:11
Id carry my pack and just stash the bearcan, but that depends on how heavy the pack is. Mines probably on par with many daypacks.

jimmyjam
05-30-2014, 19:52
What is SEKI ?

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

rocketsocks
05-30-2014, 19:55
What is SEKI ?

wonderin the same ;) as google returned no results.

goin'4ahike
05-30-2014, 20:46
What is SEKI ?

Sequoia & King's Canyon National Parks.....I think.

Malto
05-30-2014, 21:23
What is SEKI ?

Sequoia and Kings Canyon operate as a single park aka SEKI

www.nps.gov/seki/