PDA

View Full Version : Katahdin visitors

dannybuzzell
06-07-2011, 20:16
I'm walking from Stratton to Katahdin starting June 12 (I know, I know: DEET, headnet, and high water - it's the only opportunity I have this year!). This completes my AT (started in 06 and am now 66) and my better 1/2 is planning to meet and join me for the summit. My question is can she stay with me at the Birches? Or if a regular site is open at Katahdin Stream CG, can she easily join me there? Or, can she drive in to that area and park as a day hiker?

thanks for any help or advice you can offer,

dan buzzell "Sixes"
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/misc/progress.gif

Blissful
06-07-2011, 20:31
Congratulations!!!

She would need to hike the 100 mile wilderness to stay at the Birches.
http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/hikingThruALERT.html
If you want her to camp with you overnight, then you need to make a reservation at Katahdin Stream. Or she can park and hike as a day hiker (in both cases she will need to pay an entrance fee). However it is a tough tough hike up and down. Don't underestimate it for those joining you and be prepared to slow it way down. The way down is very hard on the knees

emerald
06-07-2011, 21:46
Get a reservation at KSC and you will be guaranteed a parking space.

Blissful
06-07-2011, 22:31
They have plenty of parking for day hikers there. There's a huge lot.

peakbagger
06-08-2011, 07:25
I checked the reservation system on line and there are plenty of sites open at Katahdin stream on June 12th. The birches is right up the road but other than where it is, its nothing special, I would reserve a tent site rather than a lean to at KSC as the bugs wil be nasty.

If your spouse does want to stay outside the park and drive in, there are usually day use parking slots open this time of year, but its worth saving the hassle and booking a day use space in advance(not needed if you are staying at Katahdin Stream). If staying in Millinocket, plan on one hour to get to KSC. I believe you now have to pay for a day use space even if you are a drive up so it makes sense to book it early.

By the way, a nice option is to go up Abol and then hike down the AT (Hunt) trail rather than an up and back. You can usually catch a ride in the afternoon.