PDA

View Full Version : FBC quinoa

leaftye
06-07-2011, 23:04
How many cups* of hot water should be added to a cup of quinoa in a freezer bag?

*Just an example, I'll be preparing a much smaller portion.

Cookerhiker
06-08-2011, 08:29
I use a 2-1 (water-to-quinoa) ratio when cooking on the stove at home but I don't know about your freezer bag. Do you have some kind of pre-cooked, freeze-dried or dehydrated quinoa?

leaftye
06-08-2011, 09:31
Nope.

Terraducky
06-08-2011, 15:13
The bummer with quinoa is that you really have to rinse it well before cooking. I know Roland makes a pre-rinsed quinoa so if you can fain that stuff get it.

A 1/2 cup will serve 2 people, just simmer in 1 cup water for about 5 minutes, then add all the stuff you love: dried fruit and nuts, cinnamon makes a good breakfast ...or onion, and herbs for a side with lunch or dinner! Plus, it's Gluten Free!

Deadeye
06-08-2011, 15:51
The bummer with quinoa is that you really have to rinse it well before cooking.

I never have... is there a benefit?

leaftye
06-08-2011, 17:04
I've read that some quinoa is pre-rinsed. That has something to do with tannins or something like that. I haven't rinsed mine at all. I get mine from Costco.

Beachcomber
06-08-2011, 18:34
Plus, it's Gluten Free!

This is important for folks with Celiac disease; any significance for the rest of us?

Cookerhiker
06-08-2011, 19:14
The bummer with quinoa is that you really have to rinse it well before cooking. I know Roland makes a pre-rinsed quinoa so if you can fain that stuff get it.

A 1/2 cup will serve 2 people, just simmer in 1 cup water for about 5 minutes, then add all the stuff you love: dried fruit and nuts, cinnamon makes a good breakfast ...or onion, and herbs for a side with lunch or dinner! Plus, it's Gluten Free!

A 1/2 cup will serve 2 under "normal" circumstances i.e. at home but it's not enough for 2 on a thruhike or otherwise long-distance backpack.

Terraducky
06-08-2011, 19:42
I never have... is there a benefit?

Before cooking, the seeds must be rinsed to remove their bitter resin-like coating, which is called saponin. Quinoa is rinsed before it is packaged and sold, but it is best to rinse again before use to remove any of the powdery residue that may remain on the seeds. The presence of saponin is obvious by the production of a soapy looking "suds" when the seeds are swished in water. Placing quinoa in a strainer and rinsing thoroughly with water easily washes the saponin from the seeds. If you have quinoa that looks/feels powdery you might want to do this...

But another thing, Cookerhiker- you are right- I know a hungy hiker could eat the whole recipe themself. I guess a starting point for cooking directions have to start somewhere! Adjust acordingly.

As for the gluten free aspect, it's nice to have another interesting grain to eat. High protein, low weight in your food bag- makes for a good change in diet!

Cookerhiker
06-08-2011, 20:49
I buy my quinoa at our our local food co-op but it's also available in Amish stores and in many "regular" grocery stores under the Bob's Red Mill label. In all cases, it was pre-rinsed and all I had to do was cook it.

One Half
06-08-2011, 20:54
cooked quinoa last night at home. boiled for 5 miutes and then let it stand for 15. not sure how that will translate to the trail

ScottP
06-20-2011, 00:31
I live on quinoa both at home and when I hike. It's pretty much a super food.