PDA

View Full Version : Please help me build something!

dje97001
02-01-2005, 14:22
Hey all, I have decided to build a spreadsheet that I hope attroll and SGTRock will consider posting in the information section of the website (or anywhere you decide to put those "newbie guides"). Regardless, it first needs to be built.

What is it: I would like to help assemble a reference table for hikers that contains information on all kinds of foods.
Who would benefit: Many hikers (section or thru) might benefit from such a guide. Everyone knows that the typical thru-hiker eats 2-3 times what they would in a normal lifestyle. For some, foods that are usually not options (containing high carbs, high calories, high sodium, etc.) are now essential! Not only that, but having all of this information (provided by all kinds of hikers) in one place is the entire point of this site.

Here is what I propose: I have created, and will update and maintain a spreadsheet that lists all sorts of foods, drinks, and other ingestibles. Hopefully this will be placed on whiteblaze at some point, for now I temporarily posted it on one of my geocities accounts.
http://www.geocities.com/derrick_john/food.xls

Who can help: I really need help from as many people as I can to increase the size of this thing quickly (we can only buy so much food at once).

What is needed: Any submissions need to contain the following pieces of information (which can all be found on the package):

-Category (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snack)
-Component (Main, Supplement)
-Type (Hot, Cold, Either)
-Food name (be as detailed as possible, ex.:
"Bumblebee: Albacore Steal--Ginger and Soy (steak in foil pouch)")
-Listed weight (in oz. or grams, I'll be happy to convert)
-Servings Per package (number)
-Serving Size
-Calories per serving
-Calories from fat
-Carbs (g)
-Fats (g)
-Proteins (g)
-Sodium (mg)
-Cost (in USD if possible, per package--not necessarily per serving)
-Comments on the food being listed

**Optional information can contain: measured weight

The Rules:
1. I need specifics. Don't just say "granola bar," say: "Quaker Chewy Wholesome Favorites Granola Bars-Honey Nut"--without details, this information is not useful.

2. Please include all nutritional facts in the table--while these may not be useful to you, more "detail-oriented" people will want to ensure adequate nutrition to avoid too much muscle-loss, fatigue, cramping, etc.

3. You can post the information here, or PM me, or even send me the information in an email at [email protected]. You can also feel free to send me a copy of the excel spreadsheet that I have listed as a template and I will then update the "master" file.

I think that should do it.

I'm going to work on this whether or not ATtroll and SGTRock would like to put it on the website, and in the event that it doesn't get posted here, I would be more than happy to collect the info, and email out copies every so often to those who would make use of it.

Thanks all. It may only take you ten minutes to contribute, but I'm sure that many will really appreciate it! (Consider it a form of karmic-currency!)

SGT Rock
02-01-2005, 14:24
Great idea!

chris
02-01-2005, 16:12
While I think the idea to be another layer of complication, I will help out in a minor way. Take a look at

http://www.webfitnesstools.com/cgi-bin/bde/food/food.cgi

This allows you to search under a name and come up with nutrional information for it. For example, a search for ramen comes up with:

1 serving

Soup, NISSIN, OODLES OF NOODLES TOP RAMEN Ramen Noodle, Oriental flavor, dry form

Calories 190cal
Fiber 0

Carbohydrates 27g
Protein 3g

Fat 7g
Sodium 487mg

I say that this is of a minor help because it does not include Ichiban Ramen. So, someone will have to go down to the store to find out the info on Ichiban Ramen. Also, the information doesn't tell you that there are 2 servings of Ramen in a packet.

ToeJam
02-01-2005, 16:24
I will submit some a lil later on or tomorrow for what I have around here. :)

But a good point on servings - maybe in notes section add in notes like "Says 4 servings but in reality feeds ONE hungry hiker" or 2 or whatever...

dje97001
02-01-2005, 16:42
I say that this is of a minor help because it does not include Ichiban Ramen. So, someone will have to go down to the store to find out the info on Ichiban Ramen. Also, the information doesn't tell you that there are 2 servings of Ramen in a packet.
Why are you so hostile to this idea? I just don't get why you are against something that someone has volunteered to do, in an attempt to improve the diffusion of information.

chris
02-01-2005, 17:06
Because I think it will hinder Understanding. I did give the link, though, which should be helpful.

The Cheat
02-09-2005, 10:34
This site has alot of nutritional information for alot of different foods:

http://www.calorie-count.com