PDA

View Full Version : new start, directional help

Megapixel
06-08-2011, 08:15
Hi WB family !

I am resuming my thru hike this weekend. THe backstory is that my wife couldn't make it, and we left off just past Duncannon, starting at Harper's. With my new start date, I'm wondering will it be better for me to:
1. start where we left off, head North, and then flip back to Harpers to head South, or

2. just head up to Maine and head back South straight through, skipping what we've already done when I get there.

I just don't know about summer heat heading North... or if it is too early to Southbound (i.e. black flies, etc.)

thanks for your valued input here.

max patch
06-08-2011, 08:37
If it was me I'd wait a couple weeks and then head to K and SOBO. And I wouldn't figure out how to skip the 120 ish mile section I already did. That'll be an easy weeks walk when you get there.

Blissful
06-08-2011, 08:59
I'd do a SOBO. perfect time for it. Yeah there will be bugs, etc but just prepare. Enjoy.

Grampie
06-08-2011, 09:03
If it was me I would just start NOBO from where I got off the trail. :-?

Megapixel
06-08-2011, 12:01
so it's not too early to leave sobo from Maine? Also, will this start allow me to miss more of the Summer heat?

Spirit Walker
06-08-2011, 12:08
I'd go south out of Katahdin. I think it is easier, logistically and emotionally, to not be skipping around on your hike. And yes, it will probably be cooler too in Maine. The mid-Atlantic gets hot in July!

Lone Wolf
06-08-2011, 12:11
go SOBO young man. you won't regret it

max patch
06-08-2011, 12:12
so it's not too early to leave sobo from Maine? Also, will this start allow me to miss more of the Summer heat?

I wouldn't leave "now" because of the bugs. I'd wait 2-3 weeks. Another consideration if you decide to leave "now" is the level of the streams you will ford in Maine because of this seasons snowfall. I'd get a report from a local about that before I'd leave.

Megapixel
06-08-2011, 15:41
i really need to leave now for several reasons. If i choose to continue North, can i assume correctly that i can ditch all winter gear until the whites?

FORTIS
06-08-2011, 16:13
Megapixel, I'm leaving from Harper's Ferry and heading north to katahdin (summer gear until I reach Hanover, NH). From there I will return to HF and head south to Erwin. I hope to see you on the trail. Happy hiking!

Megapixel
06-08-2011, 19:43
Megapixel, I'm leaving from Harper's Ferry and heading north to katahdin (summer gear until I reach Hanover, NH). From there I will return to HF and head south to Erwin. I hope to see you on the trail. Happy hiking!

i'll be a bit north of you if i decide to start where i left off (duncannon area) ....still hope to see u out there. happy trails!

Slo-go'en
06-08-2011, 22:57
Its pretty darn hot up here in the Whites at the moment too - but hopefully it won't last too long. It's just going to get worse in the mid-atlantic states.

You can ditch any winter gear now even if you head to Maine and start a SOBO! Just keep a warm shirt, as it can get chilly in the early morning.

Canute600
06-08-2011, 23:13
Another vote for SoBo - yeah it'll be buggy, but that's part of the experience, right?

wcgornto
06-09-2011, 01:12
i really need to leave now for several reasons. If i choose to continue North, can i assume correctly that i can ditch all winter gear until the whites?

If you head north and then flip back to your original starting point, you can ditch your winter gear until Daleville or Pearisburg.

emerald
06-09-2011, 16:02
Let go the idea of a continuous NOBO hike. You really don't want to hike Pennsylvania now. I don't say what I have because I want you to form a more favorable opinion of Pennsylvania, but because I think you are more apt to enjoy yourself.:)

Megapixel
06-09-2011, 16:17
yeah i found a ride to ME, so i'm going to SOBO. Super excited.