PDA

View Full Version : Staff or poles?

Nutbrown
06-08-2011, 08:40
The previous section hikes I have done with my girlfriends, we all grumbled about how nice it would be to have poles. Would you suggest a staff or poles? ...and am I a sissy for wanting poles when I do short section hikes? If so, I'm ok with that;)

Blissful
06-08-2011, 08:54
Poles are great.

lush242000
06-08-2011, 09:18
I have to go with poles. You can pick up a set for under $40 at dicks or walmart and see if they are right for you before you drop $150.

Panzer1
06-08-2011, 11:13
no reason to go with a staff. Get the poles.

Panzer

Spokes
06-08-2011, 11:59
Poles. Save the staff for walking around the Renaissance Festival.

http://mrg.bz/ONihfK

Saint Alfonzo
06-08-2011, 12:08
Poles, 4 points of contact means better balance. I.M.O.

blueridgetreks
06-09-2011, 09:09
Poles, agree with lush242000, get a cheap pair first before shelling out $100+. Used my cheap pair for 2 years then moved up and got Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork poles, cork is nice on the hands ($100 at REI). Cheers

EastCoastFeastCoast
06-09-2011, 12:20
I can't live without my poles! You can shorten them for uphill climbs and lengthen them for descents. As pointed out, more contact means better balance. I also find it helps me keep a pace, and move brush from the trail and tickling my legs. Also, when my right knee gets inflamed (like my last trip) and puts pressure on a fluid sack.... yadda yadda yadda.... I can use the poles as crutches for my right knee!

Oh and they are great for hanging up boots / socks to dry at camp!

JAK
06-09-2011, 12:55
I like making my own staff, and simply discard it when I don't need it, unless it proves to be a keeper. On my last hike I carried the blade of a folding saw, which with a simple nail can be used with or without a handle fashio ned from a stick. It makes making a staff from a sapling simpler. Not so practical in sensitive or high traffic trails where you really shouldn't cut anything, but there is always deadfalls.

Walkintom
06-09-2011, 20:21
Poles. You can always stow one pole and use te otrr like a staff in areas where you don't want to use both.

Beachcomber
06-09-2011, 23:16
To quote Rep. Anthony Weiner: "I'm proud of my staff."

SunnyWalker
06-09-2011, 23:29
Nothing beats the hiking poles. They can be adjusted down short for ease of carrying. One time I had a hiking stick (staff) tied onto the back of my pack. It sure was not good as it was so long. The hiking poles you can adjust them so they basically are prob the length of your pack. Then all the other advantages. I have one hiking stick I got years ago that I keep around. Love the thing. Carved on it and all. But after I used the poles on AT for a Section Hike I knew I'd never go back to the stick. Stick was a help but not much. The poles are a big help. For me there was no comparison.