PDA

View Full Version : Closed trails near Cades Cove

Buffalo Skipper
06-08-2011, 09:58
Here is a map of the closed trails:
http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/upload/Trail-Closure-Map-5-31-11.pdf (http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/upload/Trail-Closure-Map-5-31-11.pdf)

Thanks for the post on the closed trails. I noticed that the Abrams Falls trail (surrounded by closed trails) is open. Can anyone comment on the condition of this trail, in light of the surrounding damage?

I have been asked to recomend a <5 mile day hike trail to a waterfall for a church youth group while near here next week, and this was one of my top choices.

Any info on Abrams Falls trail conditions (or to other waterfalls) is helpful.

EastCoastFeastCoast
06-08-2011, 16:56
Not exactly Abram's Falls but I juuuuust got back from Maddron bald. Kosby Knob Shelter and a few other campsites are closed due to high volumes of bear activity. On my way down Snake Den Ridge Trail I saw the prints of a mother and some cubs, the mother's print being way bigger than my size 12 boot. And a lot of scat.... Anyways, hope that might help someone.

HooKooDooKu
06-08-2011, 18:09
Can anyone comment on the condition of this trail, in light of the surrounding damage?

I don't have any first-hand knowledge of the trail condition. But I did see the closure details on the GSMNP web site immediately after the storms. At that time, the entire length of Abram's Falls trail was closed due to blow-downs blocking the trials.

Since that time, the closure details have been updated to open Abram's Falls from Cades Cove to the Falls (it's still closed beyond the falls).

So my educated guess is that because of the popularity of Abram's Falls, this section of trail was given high priority and trail crews have already gone in a cleared the way of the blow-downs that closed the trail.

XrayDuke
06-08-2011, 18:44
I hiked to Abrams Falls Sunday and the Park Service did a great job in getting that section of the trail re-opened. There were several spots that they had to rebuild the trail where the trail had slid off the ridge when the tornado went through. There is a section that is about 150-200 yards where everything is gone except for downed trees. All the surrounding trails were still closed as of Monday afternoon when we did the drive on the Cades Cove Loop.

Beachcomber
06-08-2011, 18:52
Kosby Knob Shelter and a few other campsites are closed due to high volumes of bear activity.

GSMNP website says bears are active around Cosby Knob and Mt. Collins, but doesn't include either in its list of bear-related closings. Sites it does list as closed because of bears are Backcountry Campsites 35, 36, 37, 83, 84. Do you have first-hand info about Cosby's status?

XrayDuke
06-08-2011, 19:11
We saw 8 bears in 2 days in the Cades Cove Area. Only ones that I worried about was a big mama with 3 cubs. I made sure I gave her plenty of room. The rest were young males just looking for a few grubs under logs.

EastCoastFeastCoast
06-09-2011, 00:04
On Monday morning when we dropped our backcountry registration in the box, Cosby Knob shelter was on a list with those other campsites as well. I remember b/c we were very concerned (stayed at 34 and 29). We did see signs of recent bear activity, but no bears in sight- just a chipmunk scamper across the trail and later a wild turkey in the middle of the road. Could have changed since then.

Buffalo Skipper
06-09-2011, 09:55
I hiked to Abrams Falls Sunday and the Park Service did a great job in getting that section of the trail re-opened. There were several spots that they had to rebuild the trail where the trail had slid off the ridge when the tornado went through. There is a section that is about 150-200 yards where everything is gone except for downed trees. All the surrounding trails were still closed as of Monday afternoon when we did the drive on the Cades Cove Loop.

Thanks for the great information! I will pass it along to those who are leading the youth.

TIDE-HSV
06-12-2011, 09:57
GSMNP website says bears are active around Cosby Knob and Mt. Collins, but doesn't include either in its list of bear-related closings. Sites it does list as closed because of bears are Backcountry Campsites 35, 36, 37, 83, 84. Do you have first-hand info about Cosby's status?
I'd say that's a list of the usual suspects... :)

EastCoastFeastCoast
06-12-2011, 18:00
I did see a bear with the name tag "Keyser Soze"