PDA

View Full Version : herbal insect repellent patches...thoughts?

Serial 07
06-08-2011, 16:16
i am looking for an herbal based insect repellent patch or some sorta button that i can put on my hat or shoulder straps and maybe keep these stupid gnats outta my face...is this possible? does such a proven product exist?

thanks...

Beachcomber
06-08-2011, 18:38
i am looking for an herbal based insect repellent patch or some sorta button that i can put on my hat or shoulder straps and maybe keep these stupid gnats outta my face...is this possible? does such a proven product exist?

thanks...

I've heard that pennyroyal oil can repel some biting insects, but don't know of a specific product. I've crushed the fresh herb on my skin, which smells great, but can't vouch for its long-term qualities.

Joey C
06-08-2011, 20:03
lemongrass oil. I usually spray my hair before heading out. Smells nice, and helps as well as most repellants.

Blue Jay
06-09-2011, 13:53
I've used Natrapel (spelling?) often with great results. The downside is that it lasts only an hour or 2, a lot less than poison.

Dogwood
06-09-2011, 23:20
Herbal based insect repellants can work for some. I've know quite a few hikers, hunters, fisherman, and outdoor types that say they do work. I find a great many positive reports regarding the effectivness of herbal based insect repellants. Herbal repellants have worked at effectively repelling biting insects such as gnats, flies, and mosquitos, FOR ME and several of my hiking friends.

Repel's Lemon Eucalyptus has worked the most effectively FOR ME.

One of the issues, at least to me, is that many folks would rather opt to lather themselves in a bath of the most reportedly effective usually non-herbal repellants, such as DEET. It's easier and more convenient for some taking that route. Personally, I like to think I opt for the least intrusive and perhaps potentially "human friendlier" forms of repellants that will do the job at the lowest concentrations. I don't take the attitude, "if a little is good more has to be better."

I've related this on other threads. Several of my hiking buddies and myself, have had good results repelling mosquitos with the "Don't Bite Me" TRANSDERMAL patches which work on masking the odors that insects such as mosqiuitos are attracted to with Aloe vera and the vitamin B1. The active ingredients are absorbed through the skin.

I wore the Don't Bite HERBAL sprayed/impregenated bandanas extensively. While I think they may initially help the active ingredient's effectiveness eventually wanes/washes out of the bandana. They do not repel all gants, mosquitos, and flies around my face, neck or head, even when new! I believe Ex Officio makes other herbal repellant sprayed clothing.

You may find it simpler to try different herbal insect repellants sprayed onto a bandana or hat for example. Try several brands and recipes until you find what works best for you.

You may consider revisiting this thread, to share what else you find in herbal repellant patches. I for one, would be interested in seeing what you found is available.

Wags
06-10-2011, 11:35
i've had success with just simply laying a bandana over my head. not tied up or anything, just opened.

zelph
06-10-2011, 12:44
A product came up recently on bplite named "Evada-Bug" Has Soybean oil, distilled water, alcohol, neem, cedarwood, lemongrass, citronella, tea tree, patchouli, geranium, palmarosa and rosemary. That's quite herbal:)

I'm due to go out and search for it today at Gander Mountain store.

Many Walks
06-10-2011, 14:27
I tried soaking a cotton ball in Deet and putting it in a small plastic air freshener holder that was fastened to my shoulder strap and hat, but it didn't help. Another great idea that didn't work. I'd imagine a natural product wouldn't be any more effective.

When the gnats are really thick I'll tuck a couple of small branches of herbs or bay in my hat band so they overhang in front a little. They seem to have so much trouble trying to negotiate the bouncing leaves they can't get to my eyes. That's about as natural as it gets.

kofritz
06-10-2011, 15:24
i was in Ames Iowa and saw a plastic wrist band that claimed to be an insect repellant without deet. other locations may have the product or something similar or walmart may stock that item in all of its stores.

pcasebere
06-10-2011, 15:43
My wife makes a herbal bug repelent that works pretty good. I'll have to get back to you as far as the recipe she came up with.

dla
06-10-2011, 20:27

thanks...

You'll be feeding the bugs.

Seriously, there are a lot of claims about "herbal-this" and "herbal-that", and once in a while they are true. But when it comes to mosquitoes, and ticks, you need DEET and permethrin(or derivative). DEET confuses the skeeters and Permethrin kills anything that doesn't take a hint.