PDA

View Full Version : Where to catch the bus to Frisco

brian039
06-08-2011, 18:15
Do you catch the bus to Frisco at the trail crossing on Hwy 91 or do you go on into Copper Mt?

Dogwood
06-08-2011, 18:26
You can catch a bus at Copper Mountain, very near the CDT/CT, to nearby Siverthorne and then transfer to a connecting bus to nearby Frisco. Or you could catch a bus(free) between the towns of Frisco and Breckenridge and head to either nearby town. This bus stop is also very near the CT/CDT.

Mags
06-08-2011, 19:43
Dogwood is right on...

This bus schedule should help you an idea as well:
http://www.summitstage.com/schedulefull.cfm

Cookerhiker
06-11-2011, 15:25
According to the Summit Stage's timetable, prohibited items include:

"...hazardous materials or flammable liquids..."

So does this mean no canisters?

handlebar
06-11-2011, 15:49
They never gave me any hassle last year when I took my pack on board. It had a bottle denatured which is a flammable liquid.

Cookerhiker
06-11-2011, 16:10
They never gave me any hassle last year when I took my pack on board. It had a bottle denatured which is a flammable liquid.

Guess it's gonna be don't ask, don't tell.

StubbleJumper
06-11-2011, 16:58
According to the Summit Stage's timetable, prohibited items include:

"...hazardous materials or flammable liquids..."

So does this mean no canisters?

I'll be sure to finish off my bottle of bourbon before getting on the bus! :-?

Cookerhiker
06-11-2011, 17:16

Which means your body will be "hazardous and flammable.":D

I trust you're talking about true Kentucky bourbon.

Dogwood
06-11-2011, 18:19

Correction. I'll be sure to finish off my bottle of bourbon before I STUMBLE ONTO the bus.

Don't ask. Don't tell. Damn right!

StubbleJumper
06-11-2011, 21:04
Which means your body will be "hazardous and flammable.":D

I trust you're talking about true Kentucky bourbon.

Maker's Mark. When hiking, I prefer quality over quantity, so I usually carry the smallish bottle of MM. A couple of shots after supper is a nice way to finish the day.

Cookerhiker
06-12-2011, 21:15
Maker's Mark. When hiking, I prefer quality over quantity, so I usually carry the smallish bottle of MM. A couple of shots after supper is a nice way to finish the day.

I'm not a bourbon fan but Maker's Mark has a fabulous tour.

Meanwhile back on track, has anyone else had any problems bringing fuel of whatever type on the buses to Breckinridge & Frisco?

Mags
06-12-2011, 22:58
I'm not a bourbon fan but Maker's Mark has a fabulous tour.

Meanwhile back on track, has anyone else had any problems bringing fuel of whatever type on the buses to Breckinridge & Frisco?

At the time, I had an alcohol stove. I was never asked by the bus driver about what fuel I have in my pack. In fact, the bus driver was the one who told me about the hostel I ended up staying at!

I don't think it is a big deal as long as you don't make a big deal out of it in front of the bus driver. ;)

UGASlotMachine
06-13-2011, 00:39
This is totally a non-issue. If you saw some of the things & people brought on these buses during ski season, you'd laugh at being concerned about this. It's a great bus system and will take you just about anywhere in Summit County (Copper, Silverthorne, Frisco, Breckenridge)

Dogwood
06-13-2011, 02:44
Non issue unless YOU make it an issue.

BTW, why Frisco? Is there some reasons why you chose that town? Nothing wrong with it. Just asking.

If needing a zero on the CDT/CT I rec Fireside Inn/Hostel in Breck, although I have heard there is a hostel in Silverthorne too but I have not stayed there. FI is centrally located, walking distance to anywhere in downtown, it's not very expensive, good hosts, and it feels like yoiu are guests in a relative's home.

Cookerhiker
06-13-2011, 07:00
...BTW, why Frisco? Is there some reasons why you chose that town? Nothing wrong with it. Just asking.

If needing a zero on the CDT/CT I rec Fireside Inn/Hostel in Breck, although I have heard there is a hostel in Silverthorne too but I have not stayed there. FI is centrally located, walking distance to anywhere in downtown, it's not very expensive, good hosts, and it feels like yoiu are guests in a relative's home.

Not me - I just referred to "Frisco" in describing the bus line i.e. the bus between Breckinridge & Frisco. We're staying in Breckinridge at the Fireside (hopefully) and sending our supply boxes there.

Dogwood
06-13-2011, 16:11
I'm liking what I'm hearing Cookerhiker. Yosemite and then some hiking around Breck on the CT/CDT! Got a road trip in the making, hey?

Cookerhiker
06-13-2011, 16:46
I'm liking what I'm hearing Cookerhiker. Yosemite and then some hiking around Breck on the CT/CDT! Got a road trip in the making, hey?

Yes. To make a long story short, my GF can't go on the CT with me but she has time and wants to go to the High Sierra. Works for me too because it will help me acclimate (unless the unmelted snow keeps us at low elevations). So we're spending 2 weeks in Yosemite. Get home, have 2 days, then driving to CO with my friend Northern Harrier to start the CT on Sunday July 24.

Haven't said much on WB but the CT will be the longest single hike I've ever attempted by 50% over my next-to-longest (did the AT in sections). So I don't know - we'll see how this goes.

Dogwood
06-13-2011, 17:31
Look for me on the CT around that time in July.

Cookerhiker
10-09-2011, 16:25
For anyone relying on the latest Colorado Trail guidebook, there's a mistake in its description of the Breckenridge bus stop's location:

Per the book (hiking SOBO): you cross the highway (CO Rt. 9) and turn right on the bikepath, walk .5 mile to the Gold Hill Trailhead parking lot. The bus stop is 300' south of the trailhead, thus by definition it's also to the right of the road crossing.

Reality: At the Rt. 9 crossing, the bus stop is to the left and the Gold Hill lot is nowhere near .5 mile to the right - it's 1/10 if anything.

cdewsa4747
03-13-2014, 14:37
For anyone relying on the latest Colorado Trail guidebook, there's a mistake in its description of the Breckenridge bus stop's location:

Per the book (hiking SOBO): you cross the highway (CO Rt. 9) and turn right on the bikepath, walk .5 mile to the Gold Hill Trailhead parking lot. The bus stop is 300' south of the trailhead, thus by definition it's also to the right of the road crossing.

Reality: At the Rt. 9 crossing, the bus stop is to the left and the Gold Hill lot is nowhere near .5 mile to the right - it's 1/10 if anything.

So hiking east to west, just walk left onto Route 9 to reach the shuttle stop? How far to the left?

lonehiker
03-13-2014, 19:55
You will be able to see it.