PDA

View Full Version : lunch?

Panama Red
02-01-2005, 16:47
im just curious as to what odd or gormet items some may have for lunch once you are a few days out of town?

TDale
02-01-2005, 17:54
I recently found small(vienna-sausage size) cans of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. They add great spice to a boring, cold chicken burrito.

The Solemates
02-01-2005, 18:07
im just curious as to what odd or gormet items some may have for lunch once you are a few days out of town?

Arby's sandwiches pack really well and are excellent tasting. not a whole lot of arby's along the trail though.

Alligator
02-01-2005, 23:41
While heavy, dolmades can be purchased in cans in the supermarket, near any Greek items.

Dolmades-rice stuffed in grape leaves with seasonings. They are rolled similar to stuffed cabbage.

I don't typically wait more than a day because the can is heavy.

SGT Rock
02-01-2005, 23:46
I love dolmades! I never thought about eating those on the trail! I have been planning to make trail sushi :D

Alligator
02-02-2005, 00:09
I saw that concerning the sushi, cold weather will keep the fish from spoiling. Haven't tried it. My mother in law is Greek and she makes the dolmades for me sometimes. The can is heavy though, I think 10 oz.

Other lunches, dehydrated refried or black beans with either Manny's tortillas or corn chips. Powdered humus with either Manny's or snack mix (pretzels, corn chips, etc) just tossed in. Not too fancy, but these do keep.

SGT Rock
02-02-2005, 00:13
Just imagine humus, dolmades, pita, fetta, some kalamata olives, a little extra virgin olive oil for dipping....

MMMMMMmmmmmmm.... Greek food.... Ooooooohhhhhhhhhhh....

Alligator
02-02-2005, 00:22
Sounds great! With the feta, a winter feast. And a little baclava to top it all off. I have bought the kalamata olives in a pouch and they were pretty good, much better than I expected.

Mouse
02-02-2005, 10:16
Whole Foods has a great instant humas mix in the bulk foods section that was a staple of mine backpacking out west. Too bad I could not find it here on the east coast.

SGT Rock
02-02-2005, 10:30
I have seen people with dried hummis, any idea where to get that?

Alligator
02-02-2005, 10:58
I have seen people with dried hummis, any idea where to get that?Fantastik foods, they make Nature Burger too. They have a Falafel mix too, plus other veggie food. Try the natural foods section of the supermarket. Also, look around the fancy rice mixes, sometimes it's there. Also, they may put the natural foods near the non-refrigerated soy milk. Otherwise, a natural food store would likely have it. The hummus is good with olive oil and some lemon packets raided from Taco Bell or Long John Silvers.

saimyoji
02-03-2005, 00:21
Great by itself, or can be crushed into rice dishes for flavor. Very light and highly compactible.