PDA

View Full Version : Four Pines Hostel

The Solemates
02-01-2005, 18:32
Any news on new owners, etc.?

Doc
02-21-2005, 16:24
I'm clearly out of the loop. I wasn't sure that Four Pines had actually been sold. Their web site still is there but no response from messages. Anyone know if the hostel will be open this year?

Doc

The Solemates
02-21-2005, 16:42
I'm clearly out of the loop. I wasn't sure that Four Pines had actually been sold. Their web site still is there but no response from messages. Anyone know if the hostel will be open this year?

Doc

To my knowledge, it has not been sold as of now. But it is for sale. It is still open and Joe wants to sell it to someone who will definitely keep it open. Personally, Id buy it in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

Miss Janet
02-23-2005, 09:57
Joe has placed the property with a real estate company and it will not be available to hikers this year. He said to tell everyone that he was sorry it did not sell to a hiker wanting to run a hostel. He also said to tell everyone that he will miss getting to meet the 2005 hikers and seeing his old friends.

The Solemates
02-23-2005, 11:13
well that certainly sucks.

Seraphim
04-04-2005, 14:35
MAN! :eek: That is terrible! I loved Four Pines, in all its glory! What now?

Lone Wolf
04-04-2005, 20:09
Hostels come and go on the AT. It's not like 4 Pines was a classic.

"ME & U"
04-04-2005, 21:28
Mentioned elsewhere that I got this thing going on with birds...

During our awesome stay at the 4 pines I had the fortunate experience of being able to rescue a humming bird that was trapped under Joe's air compressor. The tike flew in, got a little too cozy with one of his fly strips and Joe earlier in the day tried to free him... tore his tail off by accident, and lost track of it in the process. I heard him power strokin to beat the wind in the corner and found him stuck in the grips of some psyco, bird eatin, giant, spider's web! This monster was drooling man!
I pulled him out, cleaned him up, and sent him on his way... He flew smack right into the side of the hostel like you read about.
Talk about misdirection. All wings and no steering wheel!
I gave him a toss and he flew straight as an arrow until I couldn't see him anymore and I wondered if he would make it...
Chances are he smacked into a tree and snapped his neck:D

Gotta picture, wanna see it?

Mountain Dew
04-05-2005, 01:56
Lone Wolf, "Hostels come and go on the AT. It's not like 4 Pines was a classic." -- maybe it wasn't a classic, but it was a very good hostel with an owner that trully cared. Making money wasn't his motif as it is with a few of them. oh and Wolfie...STOP trying to stir the toilet water ! ;)

Lone Wolf
04-05-2005, 07:47
I ain't stirring nothing, just saying it was just a hostel. They're a dime a dozen.

TJ aka Teej
04-12-2005, 15:17
Passing along the 'final word'...
>>
I'm just writing to pass along a message left on our voice mail from Candi
Mitchell, at the Four Pines Hostel in Catawba, VA. The hostel, located at
6164 Newport Road, is now "officially" closed, as the property is being
sold. The prospective buyers are not interested in continuing to function
as a hostel. The Mitchells are requesting our help in spreading the word.
Thanks,
Dave
--

David Schilling
Appalachian Trail Conference
Associate Regional Representative - Central and Southwest Virginia
email: [email protected]

TOW
07-06-2005, 20:10
i have some friends who want to purchase this property to continue the tradition as a hostel. my report is that it has not been sold and negotiations maybe under way as soon as joe determines his selling price without real estate commission....

TakeABreak
07-06-2005, 20:34
T-O-W , have you tried to contact Four Pines directly??

Also, since it appears that TJ, has a direct line to them, I would send TJ a private message, that way he will be sure to see your post.

TOW
07-06-2005, 20:40
yes, there has been direct contact....

TOW
07-07-2005, 20:28
please forgive me here, i am just posting what was told to me....

Little Joe Mitchell
10-21-2008, 14:03
Hey folks I was just bored browsing the internet n decide to Google my fathers old Hostel name n suprisingly hes famous. He still has the place in Catawba, VA but its not been opened to Hikers for a while now. hes re-married to a lady who is a complete B*%$# and that is the only reason he no longer does it. he fell in love with it in case you'll couldn't tell but he's changed alot now. he quite drinking (good) started going to church (good) but hes a different person now. I moved out bc he changed so much. I dont know how many of you remember his son that rode the dirtbikes and 4wheelers but Im that kid. Im 20 now so I have grown up alot but for the record if anything ever happens to my dad I want you all to know I'll reopen it as one of the best known Hostels on the trail again....

Jim Adams
10-21-2008, 14:35
Hey folks I was just bored browsing the internet n decide to Google my fathers old Hostel name n suprisingly hes famous. He still has the place in Catawba, VA but its not been opened to Hikers for a while now. hes re-married to a lady who is a complete B*%$# and that is the only reason he no longer does it. he fell in love with it in case you'll couldn't tell but he's changed alot now. he quite drinking (good) started going to church (good) but hes a different person now. I moved out bc he changed so much. I dont know how many of you remember his son that rode the dirtbikes and 4wheelers but Im that kid. Im 20 now so I have grown up alot but for the record if anything ever happens to my dad I want you all to know I'll reopen it as one of the best known Hostels on the trail again....

Nice to hear from you Joe! I often think of my stay there and you on that yamaha. Hope things get better for you.

geek

Jack Tarlin
10-21-2008, 14:43
Little Joe:

How great to hear from you! Been awhile since I enjoyed your family's hospitality, but would sure look forward to seeing you guys again, or cooking dinner again, for that matter. I have very fond memories of the time spent with you and your dad and would sure like to dio it again sometime. Oh, and I'm also very glad to see you're still with us. Some of the stuff you did on your bike at 14 was kinda scary to watch. :D

Very best wishes and say Hey to your dad,

Baltimore Jack
Hanover NH

Blue Jay
10-21-2008, 17:26
Hey Joe, I remember you. You and your father had a great place. I stayed there 3 times and always loved it. Glad to see you're still hanging around the AT.

Jan LiteShoe
10-23-2008, 11:39
Hi LJ,
Let me chime in on the "fond memories" refrain. In fact, I came to Four Pines after my worst day on the Trail, physically beat up, dehydrated, soaking wet and plastered with sweat, really in a foul mood. Seriously doubting not my desire but my my physical ability to finish this damned AT Trail.

Your dad pretty much saved my hike. That and some new shoes and a Phil Oren fit at Trail days.
Your dad was very kind to me. I wrote about it here:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=33815
and here:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=33816

I hope things work out for you.Thanks for checking in here.

Footslogger
10-23-2008, 13:02
Good memories here too Joe. We busted our cans to get there in time for the restuarant meal and you were pulling out in the white bronco. You were kind enough to wait for us while we pitched our packs into the garage. We ended up with a great meal ...a lot of which we brought back for the less fortunate hikers who got there later - - in a downpour as I remember.

'Slogger

Little Joe Mitchell
10-28-2008, 13:55
haha yea I actually have my own place now with a dirtbike, streetbike, and 2 4wheelers. I've been in several stunt videos and I plan on taking it as far as I can. I got out of motocross b/c I was gone all the time and theres no money in it. stunting streetbikes is my thing now. I've been working for Norfolk Southern (railroad) here in Roanoke for the passed 2 years now. as for me everything is great my way. hope you all are doing well and maybe I will give up ridding n decide to walk one day. who knows I may run into ya'll on the trail. I have a desire to do it just dont have the time. Take care, Little Joe

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e146/Idirtbike15/wheelie-1.jpg http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e146/Idirtbike15/Picture084-1.jpg

Jeff
12-06-2008, 14:26
I recall my stay at 4 Pines. Joe just handed over the keys to his pickup for me and some others to drive over to Homeplace Restaurant. He didn't know me at all....but quite willing to loan his truck.

Red Hat
12-07-2008, 15:37
Came down from Dragonstooth in a thunder/lightening storm. It was dark by the time I got down and my husband was panicked as he was supposed to pick me up a couple of hours earlier. (who knew it would take so long?) Anyway, went to Joes to dry off with several other hikers. Didn't stay the night, but enjoyed the hospitality. Good memories...

Sly
08-17-2011, 10:46
Thread needs a bump...

4 Pines Hostel was re-opened in 2011. Joe Mitchell is still the man in charge. Not sure if they plan on staying open through 2012. When I find out I'll let you know.

Jeff
08-17-2011, 11:06
A friend said Joe was excited to reopen this year. I am sure he will be around in 2012. He also does shuttles and of course trips to The Homeplace Restaurant.

Speer Carrier
08-17-2011, 11:47
Thread needs a bump...

4 Pines Hostel was re-opened in 2011. Joe Mitchell is still the man in charge. Not sure if they plan on staying open through 2012. When I find out I'll let you know.

Joe gave me a ride into Daleville this spring. On the ride he said the dumbest thing he ever did was to close the hostel in the first place. Said his wife objected to it. And then in his words," I dumped my wife and reopened the hostel. Best two things I ever did". I'd bet he'll keep it open.

max patch
08-17-2011, 11:49
Unless they make serious changes in the way they operated that hostel it should have stayed closed. Lesson learned, I hope.

Hikerhead
08-17-2011, 12:04
Yeah, all it takes is just one _______ and the party is over for everyone. Be it a hiker or wife, you choose.

Jack Tarlin
08-17-2011, 15:38
People who haven't met the Mitchells or who haven't visited......especially if they haven't visited recently, would probably be best to stay out of this one. I spent several days there recently......great place, great people.

Blue Jay
08-18-2011, 11:44
Unless they make serious changes in the way they operated that hostel it should have stayed closed. Lesson learned, I hope.

Stayed there several times over the years, a great place. As with most places along the trail, you don't like it don't stay there, lesson learned (maybe).

Sly
08-18-2011, 12:44
Stayed there several times over the years, a great place. As with most places along the trail, you don't like it don't stay there, lesson learned (maybe).

You can only please some of the people some of the time.

max patch
08-18-2011, 16:06
Can't believe that almost everyone appears to have forgotten about the brutal assault there 8 years ago and the circumstances that led to it.

BigFoot2002
08-18-2011, 16:13
I had a very nice stay there. I hope to stay there again.

Lybarger
08-18-2011, 17:05
Can't believe that almost everyone appears to have forgotten about the brutal assault there 8 years ago and the circumstances that led to it.

Read about it in a Trailjournals entry:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=37088

Blue Jay
08-19-2011, 06:38

Not forgotten at all. Blame the criminal, period. He was convicted, let it go.

techmann
08-20-2011, 00:48
I stayed there two weeks ago, Joe picked me up from the convience store, took me back to the hostel, drove me to The Homeplace & picked me up after I ate. We had good conversations. I liked the place. I certainly stayed at much worst places.13634 The view from the ridge above.