PDA

View Full Version : Max patch hike

Thumper 2006
02-01-2005, 20:30
My younger brother is coming home from school next weekend and i wanted to take him up to max patch for the night. Is it worth it? I want him to get to sleep in one of the shelters on the AT are there near there I would only be able to do about 6 or 7 miles because he is not much of a hiker but i want him to get to see what i will be doing for 6 months THanks

Lone Wolf
02-01-2005, 20:35
Yes. Very worth it.

MedicineMan
02-02-2005, 00:16
there is a geocache on top of MaxPatch if that would be of interest.

sherrill
02-02-2005, 10:24
If I recall correctly there is a parking area up there. Check with the outfitters in Hot Springs for directions.

You could hike to Roaring Fork shelter, I believe it is about 5 or so miles from Max Patch and is a fairly easy hike.

Beautiful place. Have fun.

The Solemates
02-02-2005, 10:27
there is a geocache on top of MaxPatch if that would be of interest.

no longer there.

The Solemates
02-02-2005, 10:27
If I recall correctly there is a parking area up there. Check with the outfitters in Hot Springs for directions.

You could hike to Roaring Fork shelter, I believe it is about 5 or so miles from Max Patch and is a fairly easy hike.

Beautiful place. Have fun.

yes, there is a parking area.

The Solemates
02-02-2005, 10:29
no longer there.

Correction: the one i was thinking about has been replaced. there is a cache.

Lone Wolf
02-02-2005, 10:38
According to the 2005 Data Bok, Roaring Fork Shelter is only 1 mile north of Max Patch summit. Groundhog Creek Shelter is 6.4 miles south.

Brushy Sage
02-02-2005, 13:53
According to the 2005 Data Bok, Roaring Fork Shelter is only 1 mile north of Max Patch summit. Groundhog Creek Shelter is 6.4 miles south.

Wow, that got in the data book fast! The shelter 1 mi north of Max Patch is under construction. No real projection on when it will be finished, because winter weather stopped the work. The privy is operational. At this time (Feb 2nd), the shelter itself is not usable, though we hope it will be by peak hiking time.

halibut15
02-02-2005, 15:51
Yes, there is a parking area for Max Patch, right below the summit. Just get off at the Harmon Den exit (Exit 7??) off of I-40 just over the state line in TN from Waynesville and turn right off the Interstate, following the service road and signs. It's a really easy drive, and the AT doesn't actually go through the parking area, to get to the AT just hike the side trail over Max Patch to reach it, it's beautiful.

bigcat2
02-02-2005, 16:31
Harmon Den is Exit 7, but it is on the NC side off of I-40. It's actually 7 miles from the TN border, just how NC decided to number the I-40 corridor from W --> E. Anyway, just thought I would put that out there, and that Max Patch is a beautiful place to visit.

Lone Wolf
02-02-2005, 16:37
Why did they build a new Roaring Fork shelter? What was wrong with the other one?

The Solemates
02-02-2005, 18:19
Why did they build a new Roaring Fork shelter? What was wrong with the other one?

This winter...less than a couple months ago.

Lone Wolf
02-02-2005, 18:31
Not when. WHY?

A-Train
02-02-2005, 18:58
My guess is to take some of the strain/impact away from all the people camping on Max Patch, but that is just a guess. Roaring Fork was a great place and the Walnut Shelter, if any should be taken down (thought it boasts character).

As im sure LW agrees, there are enough shelters in this area anyway, no need for more. And really, who would be silly enough to walk a mile past Max Patch to spend a night? :)

grizzlyadam
02-02-2005, 19:28
they're building the new shelter to replace the current shelter. the current roaring fork shelter is too close to the road and was getting trashed too much. so, it was decided to build this new one deeper in the woods.

Brushy Sage
02-05-2005, 18:24
The new shelter site is approx 1.9 mi north of Max Patch summit. If it is listed as 1 mi, that's going to create some confusion, especially for north bound hikers, who might think they have missed the shelter, when in fact it is about a half hour ahead.

Lone Wolf
02-05-2005, 18:34
I'm looking at the 05 Data Book as we type and it says the shelter is 1 mile past Max Patch summit.

Patco
02-05-2005, 18:36
The new shelter site is approx 1.9 mi north of Max Patch summit. If it is listed as 1 mi, that's going to create some confusion, especially for north bound hikers, who might think they have missed the shelter, when in fact it is about a half hour ahead.

You talk like you have had some part in skinning logs and moving the huge, heavy things via 2-wheeled cart down steep grades to the construction site along with other Carolina Mountain Club members .... could I be right?

Brushy Sage
02-05-2005, 19:05
You talk like you have had some part in skinning logs and moving the huge, heavy things via 2-wheeled cart down steep grades to the construction site along with other Carolina Mountain Club members .... could I be right?

You're right! I didn't have any part, though, in getting the wrong mileage figure into the databook!

Rain Man
12-26-2005, 11:50
For what it's worth, my wife and I hiked from Standing Bear Farm hostel (near I-40) to Hot Springs last month over Thanksgiving. We had the 2005 topo map that came in the package when we bought the ATC Guide for this section.

We discovered that the topo map has the new Roaring Fork Shelter in the correct position, HOWEVER on the profile map below it has the OLD Roaring Fork Shelter spot on the map. (I consider the profile map to be the more important of the two!)

In other words, the same sheet has two different locations for the shelter. The good ATC folks know about the error.

Just beware. We stayed at the new shelter and appreciated all the hard work by the CMC folks! The old shelter was still standing, though the privy was full up to ground level.

Rain:sunMan