PDA

View Full Version : Cables in GA?

Bear Cables
06-09-2011, 21:06
We have decided on hiking Springer to Neels Gap this fall. Do the shelters on that section have cables?

Skidsteer
06-09-2011, 21:19
Yes........

Carl in FL
06-09-2011, 21:22
My guide and my maps both say yes, but I haven't eyeballed it.

Lone Wolf
06-09-2011, 21:52
We have decided on hiking Springer to Neels Gap this fall. Do the shelters on that section have cables?

yes but they are totally inefficient. the ones at springer shelter were 3 feet from the tree last time i was there. duh!

Trailweaver
06-09-2011, 22:11
I don't think every shelter has a bear cable (unless they've recently been added), but you will need to hang your food as bear activity in that section has definately increased in the last 2-3 years. You might want to practice tossing a line over a tree in your back yard and get good at it before you go out.

Skidsteer
06-09-2011, 22:13
I don't think every shelter has a bear cable (unless they've recently been added), but you will need to hang your food as bear activity in that section has definately increased in the last 2-3 years. You might want to practice tossing a line over a tree in your back yard and get good at it before you go out.

They do have bear cables. And virtually all of the reports of stolen food in GA this year have been of food hung from cables or trees.

Blissful
06-09-2011, 22:16
I'd take a bear canister for that section personally

Lone Wolf
06-09-2011, 22:19
I'd take a bear canister for that section personally

or sleep with it. the safest method

azb
06-10-2011, 06:45
Just did the section from Springer to Neels. All the shelters have cables. Didn't see any bears.

Also did the Benton MacKaye and Duncan ridge trails (Georgia loop) and saw plenty of bear, feral hogs, and other wildlife, especially around Mulky Gap. There is a bear family that lives near the campsite down the side road at Mulky. They were interested in our bags, but ran off when we lit em up and talked to them. They didn't come back either.

Az

virgil
06-10-2011, 08:49
The GA Shelters all have bear cables. I personally think they work quite well. The Georgia AT Club does a great job with the entire Section. I imagine they've spent plenty of time designing the bear cable system. They look good to me.

FatMan
06-11-2011, 07:51
They do have bear cables. And virtually all of the reports of stolen food in GA this year have been of food hung from cables or trees.That Georgia Yogi...He's smarter than the average bear. Eh Boo Boo.:D Yeah, it's my understanding they shook the cables until the packs tore where they were connected.

Now that the deluge of thru hikers is gone the bears for the most part have moved on since there is no longer fresh food trash everywhere. But coyotes are very active now, in fact heard a pack last night having a big time over something. But they aren't smarter than the average bear and don't have a prayer against the cables.

royalusa
06-11-2011, 20:45
I see several folks saying that "all" shelters in GA have bear cables, but Blood Mountain shelter does not have any bear cables. And just because the cables are there today, does not mean the cables will be there functionally tomorrow - for example, last year a bear tore down the cables at Woods Hole shelter in GA. That cable was not fixed for numerous weeks, if I remember correctly.

Skidsteer
06-11-2011, 21:22
I see several folks saying that "all" shelters in GA have bear cables, but Blood Mountain shelter does not have any bear cables. And just because the cables are there today, does not mean the cables will be there functionally tomorrow - for example, last year a bear tore down the cables at Woods Hole shelter in GA. That cable was not fixed for numerous weeks, if I remember correctly.

People who stay at Blood Mountain shelter are too dim to notice bear cables.