PDA

View Full Version : I'm worried about running out of water...

erinjoy777
06-09-2011, 23:33
I've been reading peoples' trail journals and it seems that water is scarce?

I really want to ENJOY my hike, and if that means going slow and not finishing, I am totally ok with that. I would rather hike 1000 miles in 6 months and not finish than hike 50 miles and have to leave because I'm injured and miserable.

That being said, from what I'm reading it seems like if you don't walk enough miles a day, you won't make it to the next water source! Is that accurate? And, from a survival point of view, what do you do if you run out of water and you're really far from a water source?

This worries me...

Phreak
06-09-2011, 23:36
You'll rarely be more than a few miles in between water sources.

Lone Wolf
06-09-2011, 23:38
I've been reading peoples' trail journals and it seems that water is scarce?

I really want to ENJOY my hike, and if that means going slow and not finishing, I am totally ok with that. I would rather hike 1000 miles in 6 months and not finish than hike 50 miles and have to leave because I'm injured and miserable.

That being said, from what I'm reading it seems like if you don't walk enough miles a day, you won't make it to the next water source! Is that accurate? And, from a survival point of view, what do you do if you run out of water and you're really far from a water source?

This worries me...
plenty of water on the AT. just don't be one of them weight weenies. carry plenty from each source

emerald
06-09-2011, 23:45
There is ordinarily enough traffic in both directions to obtain all the information you will need to know about water sources from other hikers.

erinjoy777
06-09-2011, 23:47
Is there a book or something that shows how far it is from one water source to the next along the trail? I almost think that info is more important than one shelter to the next.

LW I would not take that chance. Health comes first!

Tipi Walter
06-09-2011, 23:52
Another tactic I use is to dump the pack in gaps and do little water recons on both sides of the gap a ways down like maybe one or two hundred feet. This would only be necessary in areas you feel like slowing down in or camping at and needing to top off your water.

Sometimes it helps to have a 1:24,000 topo map of the area which is impossible for most AT thruhikers as it would require carrying a bunch of maps. Good topos can show blue lines and below-ridge springheads, etc.

Platypus makes a very light 2 liter water "bottle" which rolls up when not in use and several could be taken to augment your usual water bottle(s). If conditions are really bad, pull out the reserve "tanks" and fill them up for any dry camps you may have to pull. Having a gallon or more of water may have to be done until the rains return here in the Southeast.

Jersey Tim
06-10-2011, 00:01
Is there a book or something that shows how far it is from one water source to the next along the trail? I almost think that info is more important than one shelter to the next.

The Companion includes information about water (or lack thereof) at shelters and other places along the trail, but of course such information cannot take things like a dry spell into account. As was said above, other people along the way will be your best source for up-to-date information.

emerald
06-10-2011, 00:04
Additional information can often be gleaned from registers at shelters or other designated camping areas.

Tipi Walter
06-10-2011, 00:06
The Companion includes information about water (or lack thereof) at shelters and other places along the trail, but of course such information cannot take things like a dry spell into account. As was said above, other people along the way will be your best source for up-to-date information.

My point is there may be sources not listed in any trail guide, thereby requiring some exploration and "discovery". In a serious search for water (like deciding to stay at a dry camp), a person could flank or parallel a section of the trail and do a thorough search way below the trail on both sides of a ridge. Also, one time I was on the AT between Fontana and Cable Gap and wanted to stay atop a little campsite right near the trail but way before Cable Gap. I looked down off the ridge and saw a big patch of jewelweed and followed it down into a wet seep.

Shooting Star
06-10-2011, 00:07
Use the trail guides to plan water sources for your trip and get water
info from the hikers you pass. Don't pass up a water source because you
expect water up-trail somewhere. Get it when you can. Fill up at sources
and also drink a quart when you reach a water source to stay hydrated
and to "camel-up". Tipi Walter suggests scouting water downhill. Sometimes
you cross a recently dry source that is still damp. If the brush isn't too bad,
follow it downhill a bit. Sometimes you find a pool or wet area that you can
dig out a little that will fill up. Ultralight packers shun pump/filter combos
like the Katadyne, but when it is dry the Katadyne is great for pumping
water out of a low flow source.

Tipi Walter
06-10-2011, 00:16
Use the trail guides to plan water sources for your trip and get water
info from the hikers you pass. Don't pass up a water source because you
expect water up-trail somewhere. Get it when you can. Fill up at sources
and also drink a quart when you reach a water source to stay hydrated
and to "camel-up". Tipi Walter suggests scouting water downhill. Sometimes
you cross a recently dry source that is still damp. If the brush isn't too bad,
follow it downhill a bit. Sometimes you find a pool or wet area that you can
dig out a little that will fill up. Ultralight packers shun pump/filter combos
like the Katadyne, but when it is dry the Katadyne is great for pumping
water out of a low flow source.

Yeah, in the old days we used the old reliable sierra cup for scooping out low water, but now the filter pump hose works great as a vacuum device even in the tiniest pools---just watch out for mud clogging up the unit. On my last trip to the Big Frog I found a dry spring and followed its wash-out bed around 700 feet down the mountain where the dry creekbed actually became a creek with ample pools. It really made my day to know of a good source along a dry trail.

daddytwosticks
06-10-2011, 07:22
Emerald makes a great point...talk to people you see hiking from the other direction about water sources. :)

skooch
06-10-2011, 08:46
You'll rarely be more than a few miles in between water sources.

In the south a few miles is a few hours. I can't carry enough without the weight slowing me down more. I filled everything I had totaling 3 liters and still ran out. Taking your time makes it more difficult.

Cookerhiker
06-10-2011, 08:56

The ATC Data Book also lists water sources.

Make sure you bring enough water containers. I always have 2 1-liter Nalgene bottles plus a collapsed platypus. I also have a 1/2 liter bottle in a holster on by belt. Now that doesn't mean I start or keep them full all the time; I practically never do so. But if for example you're hiking in PA in 90 degree weather and you learn from other hikers that water source(s) up the Trail have run dry, you at least have the option of carrying more. If all you have is one liter-sized bottle, you're in a pickle.

As Wolf says with respect to water, don't be a gram weenie.

Hikes in Rain
06-10-2011, 09:10
Yeah, in the old days we used the old reliable sierra cup for scooping out low water, but now the filter pump hose works great as a vacuum device even in the tiniest pools---just watch out for mud clogging up the unit. On my last trip to the Big Frog I found a dry spring and followed its wash-out bed around 700 feet down the mountain where the dry creekbed actually became a creek with ample pools. It really made my day to know of a good source along a dry trail.

I used my old reliable Sierra cup on my section hike a couple of weeks back, just as you described. Not that water was scarce; it was literally falling from the sky most of the time. :) But a couple of little springs were tough to get my bottle under. A filter pump would have worked nicely, too, but they're hard to drink coffee out of.

Spokes
06-10-2011, 09:22
You learn to camel up at water sources and how to read your guidebook. No worries.

sbhikes
06-10-2011, 09:27
In the south a few miles is a few hours. I can't carry enough without the weight slowing me down more. I filled everything I had totaling 3 liters and still ran out. Taking your time makes it more difficult.

Three liters in just a few hours and you ran out? Wow! Three liters is enough for an entire day for me. If I drank 3 liters in 3 hours I think I would get sick.

I have met many people who actually quit a hike because they ran low -- not out -- of water. I met a guy just the other day who was going home because he ran low on water. We were only 7 miles from the next water and it would be farther for him to go home than to hike that 7 miles. But he was so freaked out by running low he just felt he had to bail out. I only had a liter with me but I wasn't worried. 7 miles is about 3 hours of hiking. I can be a little thirsty for 3 hours. I spent longer hours than that without water laying out on the beach in my younger years. Here's the secret: you won't die if you are a little thirsty.

You'll probably find plenty of water every few hours on the AT and after a while you'll probably stop filling up (and topping off) every water bottle you own and learn to trust the trail.

virgil
06-10-2011, 09:34
You'll be fine on the water. Try to stop somewhere for lunch where you can load up water. The Shelters usually have good water. Follow your guidebook as to water sources.

Slo-go'en
06-10-2011, 10:01
I've been reading peoples' trail journals and it seems that water is scarce? ... This worries me...

If you have been reading journals from a few years ago, there was something of a drought going on. Many water sources were drying up by early summer, especially down south. The situation is much improved now.

The AT is typically a VERY wet trail. The trail guides list the location of reliable water sources which rarely dry up. Nearly every shelter is located at a reliable water source and shelters are typically no more then 10 miles apart, so at most that is how far you have to go between water. There are a few exections to this rule, so you need to pay attention to which ones these are and plan accordingly.

From about northern VA to NY, getting water is a bit of a PITA, as most of the water sources are well off the trail and always steeply down hill. It is good to have a water bag which you can carry a gallon or more of water back from the source in, as you don't want to make that trip to water twice!

JaxHiker
06-10-2011, 10:04
Like virgil and others have said most of the shelters have water very close (sometimes 20' away) or at least in the near vicinity. I haven't spent a single night in a shelter but I use them as waypoints since I know I can usually find water.

Hiking from Deep Gap to NOC last week there were at least a half dozen very nice water sources that weren't mentioned in the info I had with me so just because it's not listed in a trail guide doesn't mean it doesn't exist. The collapsible canteens are great. If it's dry and you're getting low you can fill them as needed instead of lugging all that weight.

Kerosene
06-10-2011, 10:34
In the end, you'll figure it out or you'll bail. I do not recall anyone ever expiring from lack of water on the AT.

Yes, you may be uncomfortable in one way or another. You may need to lug a lot more water weight than you'd like, or you may be a might parched for a few hours. Personally, I'd rather carry the weight than become really dehydrated after one uncomfortable experience. For springtime hikes when water is fairly plentiful and the temps aren't too warm, I tend to carry a few liters and very rarely use it before the next source. Water sources are much more sketchy during the fall, so I usually carry about 2.5 liters and have capacity to lug another 1+ liters if I know there will be a dry spell. The hiker network is the best way to verify upcoming water availability.

Blissful
06-10-2011, 10:42
There is ordinarily enough traffic in both directions to obtain all the information you will need to know about water sources from other hikers.

This is so true, esp in drought conditions which I had last fall on my SOBO. I relied heavily on hiker "intelligence" to let me know what's coming, and it was a lifesaver. That and my maps and guidebook (companion or other resource).

In NY last fall I had to lug water 8 miles up some good inclines to have water that evening at a no water shelter. You do what you need to do.

skooch
06-10-2011, 10:42
Three liters in just a few hours and you ran out? Wow! Three liters is enough for an entire day for me. If I drank 3 liters in 3 hours I think I would get sick.

I have met many people who actually quit a hike because they ran low -- not out -- of water. I met a guy just the other day who was going home because he ran low on water. We were only 7 miles from the next water and it would be farther for him to go home than to hike that 7 miles. But he was so freaked out by running low he just felt he had to bail out. I only had a liter with me but I wasn't worried. 7 miles is about 3 hours of hiking. I can be a little thirsty for 3 hours. I spent longer hours than that without water laying out on the beach in my younger years. Here's the secret: you won't die if you are a little thirsty.

You'll probably find plenty of water every few hours on the AT and after a while you'll probably stop filling up (and topping off) every water bottle you own and learn to trust the trail.

You know I respect your hiking experience but try the AT. I did and I could not carry enough water for my needs. The OP has a valid concern.

Blissful
06-10-2011, 10:51

Unless you are in summer heat like right now, this is a lot of water. I'd be concerned of sugar issues (diabetic) or other possible health issues (hypothyroidism) adding to the thirst signal, esp if its cool temps and you are not perspiring heavily. Does no harm to check it out. I have heard of people getting very ill from too much H2O consumption that depletes their sodium and potassium levels.

Cookerhiker
06-10-2011, 14:54
Unless you are in summer heat like right now, this is a lot of water. I'd be concerned of sugar issues (diabetic) or other possible health issues (hypothyroidism) adding to the thirst signal, esp if its cool temps and you are not perspiring heavily. Does no harm to check it out. I have heard of people getting very ill from too much H2O consumption that depletes their sodium and potassium levels.

Yep - as I said in the "To Hot to Hike" thread:

"Yes, you have drink lots of water but watch out for over-hydration which I experienced while hiking in hot humid weather in NY. Make sure you get some electrolytes. I always bring salted dry-roasted peanuts and banana chips (the latter for potassium), especially in hot weather."

erinjoy777
06-10-2011, 15:29
This is a lot to absorb (no pun intended!)

It sounds like for me - a total control freak - I need to start with the books and plan water stops. Then, use other hikers for double insurance. It's just that water isn't something you can control really, as far as drought conditions, so that freaks me out. I guess I just need to pray that next year the AT will stay true to its wet reputation next year!

Some of your other comments make me think I need to take a survivor skills or first aid class. Has anybody done this? Is this something you would definitely recommend? Where would one take a survivor skill class? I'm sure I could find a first aid one at the hospital.

erinjoy777
06-10-2011, 15:31
In NY last fall I had to lug water 8 miles up some good inclines to have water that evening at a no water shelter. You do what you need to do.

PS, Blissful you are Bad A**!

Slo-go'en
06-10-2011, 15:38
It sounds like for me - a total control freak - I need to start with the books and plan water stops.

Good luck with that. Water stops can not be planned in advance - at least not more that a day in advance - as conditions are highly variable. If you can't learn to "go with the flow" and take one day at a time, there is a very good chance you'll not make it far up the trail...

erinjoy777
06-10-2011, 15:53
Good luck with that. Water stops can not be planned in advance - at least not more that a day in advance - as conditions are highly variable. If you can't learn to "go with the flow" and take one day at a time, there is a very good chance you'll not make it far up the trail...

If that's true, then why did so many others suggest planning water stops?

And thanks for the encouragement...

Slo-go'en
06-10-2011, 20:04
If that's true, then why did so many others suggest planning water stops?

And thanks for the encouragement...

Sorry, since you stated your a "total control freak" it sounded like you wanted to start planning water stops well in advance, not on the fly, day by day as the local situation and conditions warrent.

Keep in mind you can prepare for a thru hike, but you can't plan a thru hike.

JAK
06-10-2011, 21:19
How fast you go through water depends on how hot and humid it is and also on how overweight and encumbered you might be. On my last hike up here I was hiking just over 20km per days on only 2-3 litres per day, so I only had to carry 1 litre at a time and passed many water sources. I have been on hikes even up here, fundy footpath in July, but hot and humid, and I was overdressed and overencumbered, and I think I was running a fever, and we averaged only 10 km in a 10 hour day and I think I remember I was going through 1 litre an hour, 10 litres a day, for the worst day anyhow. Fortunately there was good water every 2 miles or so. I say have the capacity, but adapt to conditions.

harryfred
06-10-2011, 21:43
plenty of water on the AT. just don't be one of them weight weenies. carry plenty from each source
True word.

harryfred
06-10-2011, 21:47
Additional information can often be gleaned from registers at shelters or other designated camping areas.
If I sign in at the registers I always report the water situation behind me.

Panzer1
06-10-2011, 23:16
if you run out of water and you're dying of thirst, save your last ounce of water to put in your eyes so that your eyes don't dry out. you will still die of thirst but at least you will be able to see until the very end. :eek:

words of wisdom from Panzer

strollingalong
06-10-2011, 23:22
thank god I didn't write this, ad-min-is-trat-ors

Panzer1
06-10-2011, 23:26
I'm in one of those moods tonight. :D

Panzer

STICK
06-10-2011, 23:40
I say have the capacity, but adapt to conditions.

I agree with this. When I first started hiking, I carried a 3L Camelbak bladder and 2 32 oz Gatorade bottles, and I kept them all full (that is about 11 pounds of water!)...A few hikes later I realized how much extra weight I could cut simply by carrying the water I needed and getting the rest when I needed it.

Now, I carry a 32 oz Gatorade bottle that I keep full and drink from as I hike. I do also carry a 2L Platy soft bottle for times that water looks sketchy. If I get that feeling I need to carry more, I will put an extra liter or so in the Platy as well as fill the Gatorade bottle. Not only from hikers and reading in shelter logs, but as I hike along it is pretty obvious if there will be decent water to be found on the trail.

World-Wide
06-11-2011, 18:20

erinjoy...if you haven't already found the guides/books those have mentioned above, I've attached a couple url's below that will give you some good info. (not saying you have to purchase them from Amazon) IMHO, I think the A.T. guide is better although it weighs a bit more than the data book. Really like the illustrated elevation changes it contains. Hope this helps! W-W

A.T. Data Book: http://www.amazon.com/Appalachian-Trail-Data-Book-2010/dp/1889386685/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1307830114&sr=8-5

The A.T. Guide: http://www.amazon.com/T-Guide-David-Miller/dp/0979708192/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307830244&sr=8-1

10-K
06-11-2011, 19:22
As you acclimate to the heat and your body adjusts you'll find you that you can go further with less water.

It takes a while for this to happen so if you're not used to the heat and are only going to be hiking for a few days you won't have enough time to properly acclimate.

emerald
06-11-2011, 20:22
I think the A.T. guide is better although it weighs a bit more than the data book.

The two are not comparable products. The comparable product is A.T. Through-hiker's Companion available from ATC.

ChinMusic
06-11-2011, 20:36
Once I find water I think about the next water source and carry what I need.

On the AT that is rarely more than one liter, but I do have 4L capacity should I need it.

sbhikes
06-11-2011, 21:09
If anyone is planning a hike like this and has no experience hiking, they really ought to get some. Even if all you do is hike in your hometown. You need to a) get used to no air-conditioning, get used to heat and cold and b) get to know your body's needs for food and water.

I'm old enough to remember when there weren't bottles of water for sale. This whole thing where people started carrying around a bottle of water and this silly idea you need to drink 8 glasses a day started some time in the 80s. There was no such "rule" before that. It's totally made up, probably to sell bottles of water. So get to know what you really need and how your body really reacts to heat and humidity and see what it feels like to be dehydrated or overhydrated so you know the symptoms and can recognize when it's happening out on the trail.

I've been dehydrated and overhydrated so many times I can tell what's happening and adjust accordingly.

On the PCT, I got dehydrated one night because I couldn't find a water source and ran out of water after dinner, but since I know what it feels like to be dehydrated and since I knew there would be water on the trail tomorrow, I went to bed knowing that tomorrow everything would be okay. A little headache and thirst can be endured for a few hours.

Same for when I was hiking along in the desert and drinking and drinking and feeling weak and super thirsty so I'm drinking more and more and then it hits me--oh yeah, that's how I feel when I'm overhydrated. So I forced myself not to drink anymore water and since I knew a place to camp was coming up in a couple miles, I just suffered until I got there. There was fresh water there so I made some soup which replenished my salt. Plus someone gave away some potato chips there and that really helped. And nice cold water for some lemonade electrolyte drink. Felt 100% better, problem solved.

I think people should try to gain this kind of experience so they can deal with these things on the trail and not have to quit or stress over such totally manageable things. You really can endure a little hardship for a few hours and survive and it actually feels really empowering, too. So put on your camelback and do some hiking, even urban hiking if you have to. Get to know your body and how it works. I swear it will really help.

World-Wide
06-11-2011, 21:44
The two are not comparable products. The comparable product is A.T. Through-hiker's Companion available from ATC.

Both items I mentioned identify water sources on trail which was the primary concern to the originator of this thread. Can care less what you feel is comparable product! W-W