PDA

View Full Version : What bug repellent do you use?

hawkeye
06-10-2011, 08:20
I picked up some 3M Ultrathon insect repellent. Anyone have good luck with this? It has 34% DEET. Lots of ticks this year in New England.

Jonnycat
06-10-2011, 08:46
I have been using Ultrathon for about 10 years, and continue to use it. It really does last a long time; if you find it isn't lasting you then you need to apply it better, not apply it more often.

Since I don't like to get DEET on the palms of my hands, I squirt a little into a baggy, and spread it evenly from side to side on the bottom couple inches of the baggy.

Then I invert the baggy and put my hand in it, using it like a glove to gently wipe a thin film of the product onto my exposed skin.

A baggy so prepared will last me about two days in the worst of conditions, so I make one up, fold it neatly, and keep it in my back pocket for when I need an application (which is generally used in the morning).

birchy
06-10-2011, 08:48
I have been experimenting with the ThermaCell electronic repellant. So far so good but the bugs have not been bad yet this year, plus it is additional weight for hiking

birchy
06-10-2011, 08:51
http://www.thermacell.com if your interested

Hikes in Rain
06-10-2011, 09:12
Hiker funk seems to work pretty well. The occasional bug that does come around dies.

Rick500
06-10-2011, 09:14
I use 25% DEET Off! wipes. Although I'm running low on them and I haven't been able to find them in stores the past couple months for some reason. Hope they haven't been discontinued.

Spokes
06-10-2011, 09:18
Ben's 100% DEET liquid not spray.

http://www.milanomedical.com/prod/ml1.jpg

EastCoastFeastCoast
06-10-2011, 09:37
I use Ben's 34% (spray pump), seems to work well. Really bugs don't bother me until I stop for camp, in which case I use the Deet until a fire gets going. Mainly I use that because it's what my gear shop carries and it's fairly cheap (also it's water based for the other ingredients, which I like). I think there was a study done somewhere with someone saying something like anything above 34% concentration isn't necessary. I dunno for sure, though. I would guess that just about anything with 34% or more deet concentration is gonna do the job.

4Bears
06-10-2011, 11:07
Ben's 100% deet, it works, it lasts, and will use it till something else comes out that is better.

ChinMusic
06-10-2011, 11:23
I picked up some 3M Ultrathon insect repellent. Anyone have good luck with this? It has 34% DEET. Lots of ticks this year in New England.
Ultrathon has served me well. It is all I use on the trail.