PDA

View Full Version : Long Trail Fuel Options?

Spokes
06-10-2011, 09:08
I though about bringing a pocket rocket for my upcoming LT hike but now think my trusty alchy stove will do after finding a 2010 end-to-end article in the Backcountry Beacon (http://backcountrybeacon.com/2010/08/hiking-the-vt-long-trail-end-to-end/) that mentions:

"The GMC recommends using a refillable stove as opposed to canister stoves."

and

"It’s much easier to find fuel for these types of stoves than canister stoves."

So what do veteran end-to-enders have to say about fuel (alcohol or canister) locations along the way especially in the northern divisions?

Cookerhiker
06-10-2011, 09:31
I have the Coleman Ultralight, basically Coleman's version of the Pocket Rocket and used it on my '07 E2E (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6248). For most of my resupplying, I physically dropped off supply boxes including canisters beforehand but I recall buying some in Rutland.

Smooth & Wasabi
06-10-2011, 09:47
I know that you can get canister fuel in Manchester Center and Rutland. Further North it is a little less reliable. I think you can get it in the Waitsfield area if you resupply near Appalachian Gap, I believe the local gear store is called Clearwater Sports look them up to find out. I would think that there would also be some availability in the Stowe area but off the top of my head I can't recall the names of stores up there. North of Maine Junction seems like there is significantly less of the easy town access and trail town culture though I have never tried to resupply on the Northern LT in the AT style. Check out the Green Mountain Club website and their End to Enders guide they should be helpful. However if you do decide to go with alchohol I think you should be guaranteed to at least find HEAT pretty reliably even in small general stores and gas stations. .Have fun

NorthCountryWoods
06-10-2011, 11:18
Johnson Farm and Garden right on VT Route 15 is advertising "hiker supplies" in their commercials. Don't know exactly what that consists of, buy you might try calling them to see if they are carrying canisters.

AndyB
01-07-2012, 20:08
I'm still deciding if I'm going to carry a stove ot not. How is the availibilty of fuel for alcohol stoves? HEEt is gone from the shelves in this area (another example of criminals dictating what the rest of us can do) Will it be a big hassel to refuel?

Thanks
Andy

Chaco Taco
01-07-2012, 20:55
[QUOTE=AndyB;1236312]I'm still deciding if I'm going to carry a stove ot not. How is the availibilty of fuel for alcohol stoves? HEEt is gone from the shelves in this area (another example of criminals dictating what the rest of us can do) Will it be a big hassel to refuel?

Thanks
Andy[/QUOTE
Im hiking this year as well and its not a big deal. There are options all along the way for alcohol and heet. I remember southern LT was never a fuel issue. There are plenty of spots in the north, according to both books all along the way.

Tinker
01-07-2012, 21:03
I sectioned the LT in the 1990s and used my Whisperlite for the whole thing (of course, I didn't have to go to town for fuel). I found that I used wood fires for about 1/2 of my cooking. If I did a thru now I would take my Supercat mostly as a backup and use small wood fires for cooking unless daylight and weather became factors. Carrying 4-6 Esbit tabs might make sense, too.

Sal-XK
01-07-2012, 21:20
I've used my PR in a couple of different countries now. I actually carried the reusable (I forget the name of it) one that would burn just about anything you could put in it from JP8 to lighter fluid I never used it at all and just used my PR. At first I carried way to many canisters with me I was surprised how long they lasted. From valleys to peaks cold to heat the PR never let me down. My longest period between resupply was 48'days and 1 1/2 canister was all I used and I drank a lot of coffee :) the canisters can take some serious abuse as well I've crushed a few of them and they still worked. Just keep the thread protector on though. The canisters are easy to find never leak and always work I won't ever take anything else again. :) IMHO

Papa D
01-07-2012, 21:25
Hey Spokes: I end to ended with a pocket rocket but I do love my wisperlight. I think that (and after talking to you) that a pocket rocket would be fine. At your pace, one larger fuel canister will last you until Rutland - about 8 or 9 days, max - you can get a second one there - you can get another canister in either Richmond (get ride from Jonesville) or in Johnson - either one. You could also drop yourself one to the p.o. in Jonesville (there were a few in the hiker box there too). FYI, Manchester Center, Rutland, Hancock, Waitsfield, Stowe, or Johnson would all have canisters. best ....

AndyB
01-07-2012, 21:25
well now that fuel won't be an issue, lol, I still don't know...i wish all life's choices were this fun

bamboo bob
01-07-2012, 21:37
Man, I've done the long trail twice and I didn't use a whole canister for either trip. It only takes three weeks. So really this is a non issue. Unless you really burn a ton of fuel. I used a jetboil in 2010 which boils in a flash. maybe you cook three squares a day?

Papa D
01-07-2012, 21:46
Man, I've done the long trail twice and I didn't use a whole canister for either trip. It only takes three weeks. So really this is a non issue. Unless you really burn a ton of fuel. I used a jetboil in 2010 which boils in a flash. maybe you cook three squares a day?

yep - I agree - I happened to E-E with a bunch of kids that liked to drink a lot of hot chocolate and eat mass quantities.

Spokes
01-07-2012, 21:47
Right on. A little weather event called Hurricane Irene cancelled my LT fueling option experiment this past year.

Papa D
01-07-2012, 21:53
Yep - I remember that - sorry.

mark schofield
01-08-2012, 08:04
Even if you are as slow as I am, the northen terminus to Inn at the Long trail should only require one 8 oz and a 4 oz canister as backup. Boiling breakfast and dinner. Then Rutland and Manchester Ctr.

AndyB
01-08-2012, 09:52
I'm trying to decide if I want to carry a stove at all. If I do it will probably be a homemade alcohol stove, dinners only and real simple ones at that.

Del Q
01-08-2012, 10:04
I know that this is not the subject of this thread, but..............I went into no-cook mode 2+ years ago and am pleased that I did. Carry one Esbit tab in my "1st aid kit" in case there is ever a need for an emergency fire, besides that, there is a TON of great no-cook food options, eat in town.

Simpler
Lighter
No need to camp near water for clean-up, big advantage
More time hiking, less time with chores - ever since going no-cook I hike later in the day which to me is better

ekeverette
01-08-2012, 10:30
excuse me for being ignorant,.. but what is a LT hike?..... long distance?

dshideler
01-08-2012, 10:38
They are referring to the Long Trail in Vermont. It is the oldest long distance trail in the US.

dshideler
01-08-2012, 10:44
http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=2

ekeverette
01-08-2012, 10:53
thanks dshideler

Cumulus
03-06-2012, 12:19
I use a Jet Boil and get about six boils to an ounce of fuel. I generally boil thrice a day, supper and tea in the evening and tea in the morning, so an ounce lasts two days. I did the Long Trail on two 8 ounce canisters (with some left over), IIRC.

--

Cumulus

NE111: 89/115 (67/67, 21/46, 1/2); Cat35: 12/39; WNH4K: 23/48; NEFF: 27/50
LT NB 2009

"I don't much care where --" said Alice, "-- so long as I get [I]somewhere," ...
"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
- Lewis Carroll