PDA

View Full Version : stealth camping

rene
02-01-2005, 21:15
In two recent postings I inquired about hammock camping and what it was like to stay in the various shelters. Some of the replies suggested "stealth" camping instead of using the shelters. I understand the heneral meaning of the word stealth but what exactly is meant by it as it relates to the AT.

Thanks,
Rene:)

Lone Wolf
02-01-2005, 21:17
It means somewhat illegal.

neo
02-01-2005, 21:29
i love stealth camping and night hiking the both go hand in hand for me:sun neo

NICKTHEGREEK
02-01-2005, 21:50
Camping in areas that camping isn't permitted. Generally requires a low visibility shelter, no fire, and most importantly strict LNT practices. From my limited knowledge it mainly applies to gsmnp and snp and sometimes means permit avoidance. Think about why the area is restricted before you set up, you may be keeping some critters from visiting the water they need to survive, or pitching a tent right where a bad acting bear ate someone 2 days before and they haven't caught mr or mrs bruin yet.

Pitching your tent in the Wally World parking lot in eager anticipation of a half off sale on that coveted greasepot isn't stealth camping.

Jack Tarlin
02-01-2005, 23:09
Nick, it doesn't just apply to National Parks.

Lone Wolf had it down pretty well when he said it involved camping anywhere that was somethat illegal.

"Stealth camping" on the A.T. means overnighting (either in a tent, tarp, hammock, or just sleeping out) in a place where you're technically not supposed to do so. More to the point, it involves doing this in a spot that YOU KNOW is closed to camping, i.e. it is a conscious decision to step around the rules.

Rules and regulations along the Trail are generally there for a specific purpose, and the Trail would be a mess if everyone did as they pleased, went where they pleased, camped where they pleased, and obeyed only the rules they wanted to and ignored the rest.

However, the reality is that on occasion, thru-hikers occasionally stretch the rules a bit regarding camping. I am not defending this practice or saying it's OK. (After all, I've been outspoken on this website for stating that rules and regulations apply to every hiker, regardless of their experience, mileage, or perceived standing in the Trail community). What I'm saying is that stealthing is a reality, and that most thru-hikers stealth at some point on their trips. So if you do find yourself in this position, here are a few of the the unwritten "rules" for A.T. stealthing (and no these aren't Jack's rules; they are instead what most thru-hikers practice on the occasions when they stealth):

*Absolutely leave no trace of your presence....no garbage, no litter, no fires.

*Many anti-camping rules have a very sound "environmental impact" basis, i.e. if camping is forbidden at a specific location, there's usually a good reason for this, such as the areas that forbid camping above treeline (like the White Mountains); or in bird nesting areas; or next to reservoirs, or at extreme high-use areas such as McAfee Knob, etc. These regulations should be respected: Nobody, not even thru-hikers, should stay in fragile, damaged, or specially protected locations.

*While most of the Trail is now on public lands, there are still small sections
that abut or go thru privately owned property; there are also many places where the trail corridor is, in fact, very narrow, and going even a few yeards off the Trail puts you on privately owned land. Try and be aware of these locations, and NEVER overnight on privately owned property without express permission of the land-owner. Failure to do this has resulted in a lot of ill will and resentment towards hikers over the years.

*While you might want to share your favorite stealth spots with friends or other hikers, do so discreetly. Remember, stealthing involves breaking rules, and on occasion, laws. So doing such things as posting favorite stealth sites on the Internet or leaving detailed maps in Trail registers and so on is not a particularly bright thing to do, unless you want to get these sites patrolled, posted, or destroyed.

*Lastly, be aware that stealthing is, at all times, a violation of rules or laws.
Whether or not you agree with the propriety of these regulations is irrelevant:
When you voluntarily elect to camp out somewhere that you know is barred to overnighting, then be prepared to take the consequences if you are discovered and get ticketed, fined, or even arrested. And don't whine about it....nobody forces anyone to stealth, so if you decide to do so, take the possible consequences without complaint.

That being said, the reality is that just about everyone stealths at some point in the course of a six-month hike on the A.T. I'm not going to dwell on the right or the wrong of it; all I'm suggesting is that if you elect to stealth, then do it wisely and well.

aaronthebugbuffet
02-01-2005, 23:12
I love the stealth! sneak sneak

SGT Rock
02-01-2005, 23:23
Rene,

There is a slightly different definition to stealth camping than my WhiteBlaze brothers are leading you to believe. Ray Jardine defined stealth camping as simply camping far enough away from a trail or other campsites and in a manner that no one knows you are there. It doesn't have to be illegal. Mostly it involves getting out of sight, staying out of sight, minimizing smoke, noise, light, etc. There are a few places along the AT where this is illegal, but you can get away with it most anywhere else. Most of us hammock folks are most likely referring to my definition than the illegal version.:D

MedicineMan
02-02-2005, 00:12
in that it doesnt have to be illegal, maybe you just dont want to be seen even in a perfectly legal setting.
for me stealth hammocking is also being 'stealthy' about the bears who might associate food with shelters, by stealthing away--down the trail a half mile and then jumping off the trail either way several hundred yards---you wont have to worry about mice or bears muscling your food

Lone Wolf
02-02-2005, 08:37
Some 18 years ago when i first hiked the AT "stealth camping" meant pretty much you were camping illegally on the trail as well as in town. And it doesn't always mean you set up a tent, tarp, hammock,etc. I once "stealthed" on the post office loading dock in Cornwall Bridge, Ct. and recently in the town park in Duncannon, Pa. where the AT used to pass thru. "Slackpacking" today has nothing to do with what it meant back in the day. Back then it meant you hiked a short day or not at all while on the trail. I was known for slack hiking days, quitting at noon or not leaving camp at all. My trail name that first year was The Yankee Slackpacker.

superman
02-02-2005, 09:12
This issue touches on the snoring and night peeing issue. Many men over 50 snore and have to pee a number of times each night due to an enlarged prostate. These things bother the sleep of the younger hikers who aren't accustomed to these issues. I find it easier for everyone to simply try to get some distance between myself and the younger hikers. The dust in the shelters also destroys my sinuses. So I tent all the time...as legal as I can. At one point on the AT a group of us older guys found ourselves tenting together. Our snoring made the trees shake. The funny thing was the sympathy peeing. One guy opens the zipper on his tent to go pee, which is followed by a chorus of tent zippers of guys doing a sympathy pee. So I define sympathy peeing as one person waking another with his tent zipper and the other guy gets up to pee since he is already awake and if he doesn't do it now they'll do it in a while anyway.:banana

Crash
02-02-2005, 09:21
It means somewhat illegal.
NO! You might be steathing due to illegal camping but its to be Very invisible by sight, sound, and smell. illegal camping is illegal camping don't put us steathers in the same category.

SGT Rock
02-02-2005, 09:24
Some 18 years ago when i first hiked the AT "stealth camping" meant pretty much you were camping illegally on the trail as well as in town. And it doesn't always mean you set up a tent, tarp, hammock,etc. I once "stealthed" on the post office loading dock in Cornwall Bridge, Ct. and recently in the town park in Duncannon, Pa. where the AT used to pass thru. "Slackpacking" today has nothing to do with what it meant back in the day. Back then it meant you hiked a short day or not at all while on the trail. I was known for slack hiking days, quitting at noon or not leaving camp at all. My trail name that first year was The Yankee Slackpacker.

I guess that is how a name can evolve into something else.

hungryhowie
02-02-2005, 10:10
I, too, use stealth camping to describe camping descretely. I realize that this is certainly a technique useful for when camping in illegal areas, but to my knowledge it didn't HAVE to be in illegal areas.

Anyway, I use it to describe the way I camp, which is find a place off of the trail and out of sight, use earth-toned gear, and leave as little impact on the earth as humanly possible. And I do that at all times of year excepting hunting season. During those months, I wear blaze orange and camp right next to the trail.

-howie

The Cheat
02-02-2005, 10:22
This issue touches on the snoring and night peeing issue. Many men over 50 snore and have to pee a number of times each night due to an enlarged prostate. Enlarged prostates causes snoring? :datz

MileMonster
02-02-2005, 10:29
Maybe its an east coast/west coast thang, boieeee.

I've known stealth camping to be a way of camping out of sight and away from "established" campsites; a way to find solitude and to move away from where bears have learned people, and food, are likely to be. Very important in the west where bears can be very smart and miles above treeline can make finding a limb for counterbalancing your food (not hanging) very difficult to find. That's kind of the Jardine definition. In a Jardine sense illegal campsites are most often stealth sites, but not all stealth sites are illegal.

It's hard, however, to dissassociate the term from connotations of illegal camping. The term stealth implies hiding and if you're hiding you must be doing something wrong, right? It seems to me that this is especially true on the AT where "stealth" campsites in places like the Whites are often (but not necessarily) illegal. Nearly all of the time when someone on the AT tells me that they were stealth camped it means they were somewhere they weren't suppose to be. Otherwise they just say they camped, regardless of whether or not they were out of site of the Trail. I'd say the term on the AT means that the site was illegal. Its an euphamism.

SGT Rock
02-02-2005, 10:32
It's hard, however, to dissassociate the term from connotations of illegal camping. The term stealth implies hiding and if you're hiding you must be doing something wrong, right?

In my line of work,making a campsite stealthy is right:D

Footslogger
02-02-2005, 11:46
In my line of work,making a campsite stealthy is right:D=============================
Well ...it was in a prior life for me, but I'd have to agree with Rock. Out of sight = stealth = not getting ambushed in your sleep.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Lone Wolf
02-02-2005, 11:49
In my backpacking world stealth camping = illegal. It's always fun to stealth within sight of the front door at Pinkham Notch Visitor Center. :)

SGT Rock
02-02-2005, 11:52
Breaking the Law! Breaking the Law! :datz Breaking the Law! Breaking the Law!

weary
02-02-2005, 12:19
Where's the list ethicist when we need him? Warren, Jack is promoting the breaking of laws, and claims, why not, everyone does it.

Weary

lobster
02-02-2005, 12:25
If you have health problems, it might not be the best idea to stealth camp alone. Also, assuming you do pass away off the trail for whatever reason, how is anybody supposed to find your body? This could be quite traumatic for the relatives. With the nomadic and independent nature of lots of hikers, relatives probably wouldn't worry too much for awhile and at the point they do, your last known location may be tough to narrow down.

Chip
02-02-2005, 12:37
According to the Dictionary the word "stealth" means : secret or unobtrusive
procedure. :) When I have my dogs with me on the trail I will "stealth camp".
This way we don't bother other hikers, we get a good nights sleep too. Always
practice LNT. ;)

The Cheat
02-02-2005, 12:45
If you have health problems, it might not be the best idea to stealth camp alone. Also, assuming you do pass away off the trail for whatever reason, how is anybody supposed to find your body? This could be quite traumatic for the relatives. With the nomadic and independent nature of lots of hikers, relatives probably wouldn't worry too much for awhile and at the point they do, your last known location may be tough to narrow down.
Dying on the trail is definitely NOT LNT!

SGT Rock
02-02-2005, 12:46
How about having your ashes scattered?

ed bell
02-02-2005, 13:02
As long as the person wasn't wearing synthetics when cremated, I think it's OK. Make sure to not scatter the ashes in an upwind direction, or end up like "The Dude" Libowski.:D

SGT Rock
02-02-2005, 13:03
Poor Donnie.

ed bell
02-02-2005, 13:03
Oh, and to stay on topic, do it in a stealthy manner.

rickb
02-02-2005, 13:09
Much better than a Desparate House Wife's Reference ;-).

There goes what's left of my dignity.

I happened upon one unofficial memorial -- well off trail-- in the Whites where someone's ashes were scatted, and saw that marker as a beautiful thing. I suspect there are many such almost anonymous markers and sites all along the AT.

Better to apologize after than get permision first on that score, I think.

Rick B

SGT Rock
02-02-2005, 13:12
Yes, what are they going to do, make you clean up the ashes?

MileMonster
02-02-2005, 13:50
Good for you, Chip. When you have dogs along how about stealth hiking, too. LOL! Uh-oh, can of worms. (Comment made all in good fun, of course)

Jack Tarlin
02-02-2005, 16:59
Hey, Weary, you need to either read better, or write less. Or if your post was an attempt at dry Maine humor, it fell a little flat.

Nowhere in my post was I "promoting the breaking of laws." If you're going to take cute and snotty potshots at me, at least have the integrity to truthful.

Quote from my post in re. to the practice of stealth camping: "I am not defending this practice or saying it's OK."

Gee, Weary, I guess that was a bit too complicated for you to understand.

So let's try it again:

*I was not promoting or encouraging stealth camping or the breaking of any other laws.

*I was merely acknowledging that this practice (i.e. stealthing) is a reality that occurs frequently on the contemporary Trail, which I realize is a subject you're somewhat distanced from. Nowhere am I saying, as you claimed, "It's OK, because everyone does it." I'm merely admitting and acknowledging that it's done: As quoted above, my comment was "I'm not defending this practice or saying it's OK." Put whatever foolish statements you want in YOUR mouth, Weary, but please refrain from putting any in mine.

*I was trying to tell folks that if they must do this sort of thing, then there's a way to do it so it causes little impact or problems as possible.

*But in no way was I advertising, advocating, or promoting it, and you well know it.

I realize you're intelligent enough, and that you read well enough, Weary, to have understood exactly what I was saying. Too bad you couldn't resist the opportunity for another typical cheap shot.

grandview
02-02-2005, 17:23
abandoning ship to:
http://albaugh1976.proboards44.com/
over and out

rickb
02-02-2005, 17:32
Good post, Jack. I agree 100%.

We have seen enough bombast with regard to people "breaking the law" on this list.

Bad Weary. Bad.

And Warren, if you are reading this (doubtful), please take heed-- Don't get caught!

Rick B

Lone Wolf
02-02-2005, 17:50
I've never been caught. Marines are trained well in camouflage and concealment. :cool:

Chip
02-02-2005, 17:59
Good for you, Chip. When you have dogs along how about stealth hiking, too. LOL! Uh-oh, can of worms. (Comment made all in good fun, of course)
No can of worms ! :) Happy trails to you !!
Chip ;)

rickb
02-02-2005, 18:00
If that's true, I'd worry that some critter might make a nest under chin.

Rift Zone
02-03-2005, 15:05
The Jardine mode of stealth camping was to camp away from established camp sites -being careful not to damage the area he chose of course... more importantly- his stealth was to cook miles away from his camp sites. He didn't set bear bags... He just minimized the scent that would attract bear to his site/food.

My mode of stealth camping usually involved parks that didn't always support the notion of camping/backpacking.

Human laws are dynamic and arbitrary for a reason. Natural laws are known to few humans. I'll stand by my own chioces proudly.

[Of course, I have also personally pulled out more than my body weight worth of trash from natural areas. I am aware of what constitutes fragile environments and act in their regard. I am also opinionated and vocal... my presence is a benefit to the environment... Actions that defile the environment do something special for me -I'm not straight out the wood... I'm straight out the hood! Fools feel it when they hurt the environment in my presence. Pardon for that. Most the time I'm a mild mannered backpacker. Anyway... If you do choose to make camp sites independent of the law just make sure your karma can support it. Mine can -it is the only way I could stand by my choices proudly.]

weary
02-03-2005, 15:37
Hey, Weary, you need to either read better, or write less. Or if your post was an attempt at dry Maine humor, it fell a little flat.

Nowhere in my post was I "promoting the breaking of laws." If you're going to take cute and snotty potshots at me, at least have the integrity to truthful.

Quote from my post in re. to the practice of stealth camping: "I am not defending this practice or saying it's OK."

Gee, Weary, I guess that was a bit too complicated for you to understand.

So let's try it again:

*I was not promoting or encouraging stealth camping or the breaking of any other laws.

*I was merely acknowledging that this practice (i.e. stealthing) is a reality that occurs frequently on the contemporary Trail, which I realize is a subject you're somewhat distanced from. Nowhere am I saying, as you claimed, "It's OK, because everyone does it." I'm merely admitting and acknowledging that it's done: As quoted above, my comment was "I'm not defending this practice or saying it's OK." Put whatever foolish statements you want in YOUR mouth, Weary, but please refrain from putting any in mine.

*I was trying to tell folks that if they must do this sort of thing, then there's a way to do it so it causes little impact or problems as possible.

*But in no way was I advertising, advocating, or promoting it, and you well know it.

I realize you're intelligent enough, and that you read well enough, Weary, to have understood exactly what I was saying. Too bad you couldn't resist the opportunity for another typical cheap shot.
"That being said, the reality is that just about everyone stealths at some point in the course of a six-month hike on the A.T. I'm not going to dwell on the right or the wrong of it; all I'm suggesting is that if you elect to stealth, then do it wisely and well," reported Jack.

Weary

Mags
02-03-2005, 16:57
"That being said, the reality is that just about everyone stealths at some point in the course of a six-month hike on the A.T. I'm not going to dwell on the right or the wrong of it; all I'm suggesting is that if you elect to stealth, then do it wisely and well," reported Jack.

Weary

Sorry Bob, don't see anything hyprocritical in that statement. It is much like sex-ed classes: Not condoning pre-marital sex, but if you are going to do it, here is how to min. chances of getting an STD and/or pregnancy. (Well that used to be the case util this "abstinence only" push in high schools. But that's another topic for a different forum. :) )

In any case, saying how to min. your impact while stealth camping (which is not going to be illegal all the time, BTW) is not the same as condoning it. Capish?

Jack Tarlin
02-03-2005, 20:44
Geez, Weary, you're a piece of work today.

I make it very clear that I'm NOT advocating or defending a certain practice.

I make it clear that I'm not interested in debating the right or the wrong, but in merely intelligently discussing the simple reality that this practice does occur on the Trail.

I further state that people that choose to do this should be prepared to face the consequences of doing something they know is contrary to rules and regulations. In other words, I make no secret of the fact---and neither should anyone else---that this is not a practice that should be encouraged.

And from this, you get that I'm "promoting" this.

Gee, you must have been one hell of a fair and balanced reporter back in the day.

The Old Fhart
02-03-2005, 20:59
Come on, Jack. If you watch the news this week you know when the police appear on TV and tell students if they get out of line after the Super Bowl there will be consequences, the police are promoting riots! :D

A-Train
02-03-2005, 21:04
In my backpacking world stealth camping = illegal. It's always fun to stealth within sight of the front door at Pinkham Notch Visitor Center. :)

A couple SOBO's thought it would be a cool idea to "stealth" like 50 feet from PN center cause they were too cheap to go into Gorham or too lazy to hike another half mile and woke up to nice 50 dollar fines. I wouldn't recommend this

Lone Wolf
02-03-2005, 21:08
Obviously dumb******s.

Rift Zone
02-04-2005, 14:15
Obviously dumb******s.

Heard that. They run rampant now days... That is why I will take a stand and advocate strict adherence to the camping regulations that exist.

Jack is right. These regulations exist for a reason and more often than not they are to protect the environment. I feel the masses are ill equip to make choices concerning this matter because the masses know nothing of wilderness. (To witness and to know are not the same... don't embarrass yourself by claiming knowledge of the wilderness because you've been backpacking a few times and seen a critter or two.) It is a simple case of a little ignorance really can be very destructive. Be conscious of the guidelines in the area in make every effort to follow them... often times the reason for the restrictions is not clear... It could be anything from mislead management to endangered species... You might not be able to tell one case from the other at any time.

If you do stealth, be respectful of your site. Don't further demonstrate the need for such restrictions.

DO NOT go into sensitive area unless you know exactly what you are doing. Like if you are not certain how the walking surface is going to react to your step... Stay the ****** OUT. If the reaction to your step is likely to be destruction... Stay the ****** OUT. If you do know what you are doing and the subsequent repercussions of your every action you probably are also aware of how honored you are to be there... Make certain you are worth of that honor.

Rift Zone
02-04-2005, 14:15
Obviously dumb******s.

Heard that. They run rampant now days... That is why I will take a stand and advocate strict adherence to the camping regulations that exist.

Jack is right. These regulations exist for a reason and more often than not they are to protect the environment. I feel the masses are ill equip to make choices concerning this matter because the masses know nothing of wilderness. (To witness and to know are not the same... don't embarrass yourself by claiming knowledge of the wilderness because you've been backpacking a few times and seen a critter or two.) It is a simple case of a little ignorance really can be very destructive. Be conscious of the guidelines in the area in make every effort to follow them... often times the reason for the restrictions is not clear... It could be anything from mislead management to endangered species... You might not be able to tell one case from the other at any time.

If you do stealth, be respectful of your site. Don't further demonstrate the need for such restrictions.

DO NOT go into sensitive area unless you know exactly what you are doing. Like if you are not certain how the walking surface is going to react to your step... Stay the ****** OUT. If the reaction to your step is likely to be destruction... Stay the ****** OUT. If you do know what you are doing and the subsequent repercussions of your every action you probably are also aware of how honored you are to be there... Make certain you are worthy of that honor.