PDA

View Full Version : transportation from Whitney Portal to Yosemite

Peanut
06-10-2011, 14:48
Hi everyone :)

So I see that
- Crest bus goes from Lone Pine to Mammoth Lakes (6:15 a.m. - 8:20 a.m.)
- Yarts picks up at Mammoth Lakes at 8:30

2 things:

1) This is a short time frame....not much room for error or late buses...are they usually prompt? Should I give myself an extra day to get back to Yosemite in case it's late? Is there a cheap place (camping/hostel) to stay in Lone Pine if necessary?

2) Is there a way to get from Whitney Portal to Lone Pine without paying the shuttle service $65? (hmmm..I just googled it and it's only 11.4 miles. Maybe I should just walk it? :) )

Any thoughts? Thanks for your help!

Dogwood
06-10-2011, 15:46
The Whitney Portal TH parking lot is a major TH that experiences a lot of traffic during typical hiker season. I have never had to wait more than about 20 minutes for a ride into Lone Pine. If you stick a thumb out I"m virtually 100 % sure you will not have to walk the 11 miles. There is also a small store at this TH, where if you prefer, you can send out some feelers that you are seeking a ride into LP AND at the same time interview possible rides. Since I think you are a female you are probably better off getting a ride that way rather than simply sticking out the thumb along side the road.

I suppose taxis can take you to LP too, just never saw the need!

I believe the CREST bus that goes to Mammoth Lakes through LP starts out in or near Ridgecrest not extremely far south of LP and not many stops are encountered by this bus along the way to LP so it's my best guess it runs fairly close to schedule getting into LP. Check out the CREST site to check on how far south the bus originates though. Also, since the bus arrives in LP quite early it most likely does not experience rush hr or heavy traffic delays.

Although I've taken the YARTS several times not exactly sure how close to schedule that particular route you are connecting with runs. I would be certain about connecting bus schedule times too.

hope this helps.

Helmuth.Fishmonger
06-10-2011, 17:24
note that the bus from Lone Pine to Mammoth doesn't run every day. I think only Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday

Portal to Lone Pine is an easy hitch (ask people who are spending the day at the pond if they'd give you a ride - you pick them out, don't stick out your thumb), or just walk the road to town. Bob's shuttle is my pick, but getting a hold of him is difficult (most cell phones will not work at the Portal)

Another option if you arrive late in the day: take a nap up there and leave early enough (3:00am) to wealk to the bus in time. You're not gonna a room get one peak season if you arrive late in the day down in Lone Pine, so camping up at the Portal in the backpacker area and then a walk to the bus is what I'd do. I've walked the road many times - actually a pretty cool thing to do at night before it gets hot. It is 12 miles to town.

Peanut
06-11-2011, 22:14
Thanks guys!
Is there a place I can camp very close to Lone Pine? I'm driving from Yosemite to drop my car at Whitney Portal so it'll hopefully be there when we finish. The bus leaves at 6:15 a.m. or so...so I will need to spend the night before in Line Pine, or close to it. I know there is a hostel in the Portal, but that would mean I'd have to try hitching out of the Portal too early in the morning to get a ride. So I need to find a cheap place to stay in/near Lone Pine. Thoughts?

Helmuth.Fishmonger
06-11-2011, 23:00
Thanks guys!
Is there a place I can camp very close to Lone Pine? I'm driving from Yosemite to drop my car at Whitney Portal so it'll hopefully be there when we finish. The bus leaves at 6:15 a.m. or so...so I will need to spend the night before in Line Pine, or close to it. I know there is a hostel in the Portal, but that would mean I'd have to try hitching out of the Portal too early in the morning to get a ride. So I need to find a cheap place to stay in/near Lone Pine. Thoughts?

Tuttle Creek Campground is pretty close, and free. Nothing fancy, 2 miles from town

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=Campgrounds&aq=0&sll=36.56715,-118.12294&sspn=0.059216,0.08626&ie=UTF8&t=h&rq=1&ev=zo&radius=2.87&split=1&hq=Campgrounds&hnear=&ll=36.57618,-118.095474&spn=0.059209,0.08626&z=14

Sly
06-11-2011, 23:11
I would just take my time asking at the trailhead for a ride to Lone Pine. If you're too late for the bus that's fine, Lone Pine is a great little town, well worth staying the night.

Phreak
06-12-2011, 08:32
Whitney Portal Hostel
238 S Main Street
(760) 876-0030

Helmuth.Fishmonger
06-12-2011, 17:43
Whitney Portal Hostel
238 S Main Street
(760) 876-0030

without reservation in mid season, better get there early in the day.

Peanut
06-12-2011, 23:20
How far is the hostel from Statham Hall, where Crest bus picks up?--actually I googled it and it looks like they are a few blocks away from each other?

Since the bus picks up so early in the a.m., I'll probably drop the car the night before, get the ride into town, stay at the hostel, and then take the buses back. Does that sound right?

Also, if I'm coming up the first day to drop off the car, maybe I'll do a hike (after checking in to the hostel)...any suggestions that don't include Mt. Whitney?

Helmuth.Fishmonger
06-13-2011, 11:09
How far is the hostel from Statham Hall, where Crest bus picks up?--actually I googled it and it looks like they are a few blocks away from each other?

Since the bus picks up so early in the a.m., I'll probably drop the car the night before, get the ride into town, stay at the hostel, and then take the buses back. Does that sound right?

Also, if I'm coming up the first day to drop off the car, maybe I'll do a hike (after checking in to the hostel)...any suggestions that don't include Mt. Whitney?

get the room when you get into town and before you head up to drop the car at long term parking. The bus station - dunno where that is, but anything in Lone Pine is a few blocks from anything else, except for the ranger station which is at the very far south end of town.

Hike from Whitney Portal? Anything above the entry into the Whitney Zone (and that is not far up the trail) requires a permit. Lone Pine Lake would probably be the only worthwhile destination

Lower Boyscout lake is on the Mountaineer's Route and requires some pretty exposed class 3 climbing to reach, definitely not where you want to go just to have a little day hike.

This map shows where you can and cannot go without a Whitney Permit
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5130080.pdf

If you have time and want to acclimate as much as possible in that day, drive up to Horseshoe Meadows instead of the Portal (left turn after the Alabama Hills on the Whitney Portal Road) and do a hike up there. Since the campgrounds there are much higher, and hike there starts at 10,000 feet. So even easy strolls at that elevation will have some real impact on acclimation. There are a lot of nice lakes north west of the campground, not too far off.

sbhikes
06-13-2011, 11:45
The buses are prompt. Don't be late. And go to the bathroom before you board.

I think you could walk up Whitney Portal Road from downtown Lone Pine to a creek area and sleep in the bushes if you are desperate. Otherwise, I'll bet you could find someone willing to split a room with you.