PDA

View Full Version : jailhouse hostel palmerton pa

neo
02-01-2005, 22:01
i really enjoyed my stay in palmerton pa,i checked in with the police station
on a sunday in nov 2003,the officer took me to the burroughs builing and showed me were everything was,the shower sure has plenty of water pressure,i had the place all to myself,the next morning as i was getting ready to leave,one of city officials asked me how my stay was,he also gave me a hiker goody bag,the grocery store gave me a big apple,i was also given a ride into town by one of the locals,i was very impressed with people of palmerton pa,an excellent stop
i highly recommend stoping there,:sun neo

rocket04
02-01-2005, 23:17
There was recently news they might not be open this season. I stayed there in '04 too and confirm that it rules. I don't recall if they did close it or not, but I'm sure somebody will be able to provide answers.

Haiku
02-04-2005, 00:34
I thought Palmerton was one of the best trail towns, period. Friendly people, Girl Scout gift bags, the works.

Haiku.

DMA, 2000
02-04-2005, 04:19
I'll second that. I loved Palmerton and would be happy to see a reroute right through the town, a la Damascus or Hot Springs. However, I really enjoyed the climb out of town, so never mind that.

That shower had enough water pressure to take your skin off. It was great!

neo
02-04-2005, 11:40
palmerton pa is my favorite town north of the mason dixon line,waynesboro va is my favorite town south of the mason dixon line.you dont want to miss the jail house hiker hostel in palmerton pa.:sun neo

Mountain Dew
02-04-2005, 19:02
... :banana :clap :sun

neo
03-26-2006, 12:05
for all 2006 hikers,palmerton and the jailhouse hostel is to cool:cool: neo

TOW
03-26-2006, 13:54
real friendly place.....

neo
03-27-2006, 03:05
for all 2006 hikers,palmerton and the jailhouse hostel is to cool:cool: neo

coolest town north of the mason dixson line:cool: neo

saimyoji
03-29-2006, 22:59
coolest town north of the mason dixson line:cool: neo

I've never seen anyone quote themselves as often as you do, :cool:neo.

Are we back on the sauce? Or post happy?

Jester2000
04-08-2006, 22:12
I will be contacting the borough manager in the next few days to see about the status of the hostel. I called post-hiking season last year and got the impression that the town was happy with everyone who stayed with them last year.

In previous years there had been some problems and the town was thinking of shutting the hostel down. New rules put in place (and more importantly, adherance to those rules by the hikers) made for a good season. Proof, once again, that how you behave in towns affects those who follow you.

Hopefully the hostel will be open (I'll let you all know) and hopefully they will have another good season of providing hospitality to people who know how to show that they appreciate that hospitality.

neo
04-09-2006, 00:44
I've never seen anyone quote themselves as often as you do, :cool:neo.

Are we back on the sauce? Or post happy?

:D i cant help it,that town left such postive effect on me that i cant help
but to brag on it,wonderful people:cool: neo

Spiritual Pillgrim
07-02-2006, 13:00
I thought Palmerton was one of the best trail towns, period. Friendly people, Girl Scout gift bags, the works.

Haiku.

I was a late arrival (about 9 p.m., I think), but the PD hooked me right up. Great facility. In the morning the clerk in the borough office hooked me up for a ride over to Slatington to get my mail drop. Should have had that sent to palmerton. Everything you need is right there: laundry, library, re-supply options and plenty of grub. Glad I ended up in jail and not in slatington

knicksin2010
07-04-2006, 07:49
I didn't go there because it would have added 3 miles onto a 30+ day, but it sounds like a great place

mooseboy
04-17-2009, 03:14
This was a great trail town! Borough Hall hostel was spacious, Palmerton Hotel has reasonable burgers & beer, Jake's has a great filling breakfast, and I got a ride back to the trail just by talking to a couple people there in the morning!

The Mechanical Man
05-18-2009, 00:57
This was a great trail town! Borough Hall hostel was spacious, Palmerton Hotel has reasonable burgers & beer, Jake's has a great filling breakfast, and I got a ride back to the trail just by talking to a couple people there in the morning!

Where is Jake's? :-?

Did you mean Burt's? :)

mooseboy
05-18-2009, 01:37
You're absolutely right, Mechanical Man. It is Bert's Steakhouse, the 50's-themed place. I don't know why I wrote Jake's... Thanks!

The Mechanical Man
05-18-2009, 02:18
You're absolutely right, Mechanical Man. It is Bert's Steakhouse, the 50's-themed place. I don't know why I wrote Jake's... Thanks!

It's all good.
You are right, Bert's is really like going back in time here in Pa., the town locals are nice, and great food always.

There are so many places in Palmerton to get a good meal nowadays, I would sure hate to miss out on a new one. :sun

Blissful
05-18-2009, 13:30
Palmerton is a great town! Loved it there. Great people too and has everything you need.

ShelterLeopard
11-03-2009, 13:35
Palmerton rocks, jail hostel is awesome, shower REALLY gets you clean (and one of the hikers bought strawberry shampoo for everyone, so we all smelled really nice for once), and Bert's is great. I got a ride into town from a really nice dayhiker and his daughter, and the next morning a local popped in and asked if anyone needed a ride anywhere. Very nice town. (Don't miss the enormous sticky buns at the cowboy grocery store)

Ramble~On
11-03-2009, 13:44
I loved this town.

Palmerton Rocks! Got a ride in by a local within 2 seconds of sticking my thumb out and we got a shuttle out by a trail angel who was able to tell us all sorts of history and about the area mountains.
The Jailhouse Hostel is top notch...especially the water pressure!
Another nice thing about the hostel is how close it is to everything.
Free apple at the grocery store and the locals were all aeger to talk and were very friendly. Someone is missing out by not opening an outfitter in this town.

emerald
11-03-2009, 14:14
Someone is missing out by not opening an outfitter in this town.

Why don't you finance it if you think it's a no-brainer? You and shelterleopard should have right at it. There's no time like the present!

ShelterLeopard
11-03-2009, 14:32
Why don't you finance it if you think it's a no-brainer? You and shelterleopard should have right at it. There's no time like the present!

Hey- just because I criticize an outfitter I find inadequate doesn't mean I think all of them are, or that I'd run one really well! No bitterness, emerald.

ShelterLeopard
11-03-2009, 14:36
And I do not wish to revive our conversation from before Emerald- I'm in no mood for an argument today!

emerald
11-03-2009, 14:52
So sorry to hear you are not in the mood. My wish for you shelterleopard is for you to complete the A.T. and then do what A.T. volunteers have done for others around the world who are inspired by the dream of becoming an A.T. 2000 miler.

I hope you will experience the ingratitude too. You flatter yourself to think I'd be interested in an online argument with a troll. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have work to do.

ShelterLeopard
11-03-2009, 14:56
So sorry to hear you are not in the mood. My wish for you shelterleopard is for you to complete the A.T. and then do what A.T. volunteers have done for others around the world who are inspired by the dream of becoming an A.T. 2000 miler.

I hope you will experience the ingratitude too. You flatter yourself to think I'd be interested in an online argument with a troll. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have work to do.

Emerald- why do you keep putting my name in bold? You clearly are interested in an argument, and I'm not. It'd be great if you let our argument rest and please stop bringing it up. Who's the real troll, Emerald?

Blissful
11-03-2009, 15:50
Palmerton was one of my fav town stops in '07. We weren't going to stop there, so it was a pleasant surprise.

le loupe
11-03-2009, 16:37

Who's the Troll?:-?

Jack Tarlin
11-03-2009, 17:15
Jeez, Emerald, you tell a young prospective thru-hiker your good wishes for herself and her trip, etc.......and then in the same post you call her names.

That's kind of a mixed message, no?

Quite frankly, I've read lots of posts by both of you, and when it comes to stirring things up, using strong speech, making personal comments, and being deliberately provocative in order to score Internet points.....well, sorry, but it ain't Shelter Leopard that's been doing it. :-?

ShelterLeopard
11-03-2009, 17:32
Thanks very much Jack.