PDA

View Full Version : trail conditions in ct?

cricket71
06-10-2011, 17:18
has any one been up on the trail in ct. in the last week or so, and if so I was wondering what the trail was like. I haven't been up since the last week in april. goin out early tomorrow for a quick over nite.:-?

lysol
06-10-2011, 17:59
I was out from Salisbury north through Hemlock Shelter (MA) on Tues - Thu. and the trail was great. Mosquitoes are starting to come out in larger numbers. Should be plenty of water as there was a pretty good thunderstorm Wed. night. Hope that helps. I'm not sure on the conditions south of Salisbury.

Joker4ink
06-10-2011, 19:52
I was up by Riga, Ball Brook & Bear Mountain last Sunday. The trail was nice, no mud but the bugs are starting to come out.

Driver8
06-10-2011, 23:59
I was up by Riga, Ball Brook & Bear Mountain last Sunday. The trail was nice, no mud but the bugs are starting to come out.

We missed each other by a day, Joker! Tromped around Sages, lower stretches off Rt. 41 on a group hike for Trails Day, then went A.T. Rt 41 to Ball Brook. Great day for hiking.

There's bit of mosquitoes and black flies, occasionally, moreso below 1400' elevation. Also some delta-winged flies - deerflies, maybe?

It was a little wet and muddy today, after yesterday's thundershowers. Moist and humid, and very green. I was at Race Brook Falls Trail all the way up to A.T. You have to be careful of slick footing in some places, especially where steep. But mainly just gorgeous and very nice. Race Brook Falls and Race & Everett area are among my favorite places. Heck, the whole southern Taconics.

Jay_NJ
06-11-2011, 13:25
I know Ct. is not NY... but the weather is comparable enough. Was on the AT last Fri-Sun and the conditions were pretty perfect and only slightly muddy in low areas. Very Humid, but cool at night, and it's right on the cusp of the late spring bug explosion. Water sources were flowing very nicely!

Joker4ink
06-12-2011, 11:48
That's too funny, Driver! I just went from Bunker Hill to Bear then back out...it was quick 8 miles but it was a beautiful day to be out. I still need to do the section between Mount Ester to Bunker Hill, then the last few miles from Bear to Sages and then CT will be crossed off. By the way, did you meet the thru-hiker "Talks A Lot"?

Driver8
06-12-2011, 13:49
That's too funny, Driver! I just went from Bunker Hill to Bear then back out...it was quick 8 miles but it was a beautiful day to be out. I still need to do the section between Mount Ester to Bunker Hill, then the last few miles from Bear to Sages and then CT will be crossed off. By the way, did you meet the thru-hiker "Talks A Lot"?

It's only a mile or so from the north foot of Bear to the Sages Brook crossing. Totally beautiful, Sages. I highly recommend a hike from Bear to Race and Everett if you've not done that stretch yet. Race is amazing.

Met a thru named Berky from Great Barrington, and several other long-distance sectioners, but not Talks. Interesting person?

Did you poke around and check out the fire damage? I did for the part near Riga Campsite and along the trail to Ball Brook - took a bunch of photos and posted some here - but didn't go over to Ball Brook Campsite b/c running short on time. Was tempted to continue north to Bear and come down to U/mtn and bum a ride to my car at AT/41, but decided against.

Joker4ink
06-12-2011, 18:23
Oh, Talks A Lot was super funny. She was very friendly and we could have chatted all day...hence her name.

I haven't been past Bear yet but I hope to get out there next Sunday, if all goes as planned. With regards to the fire damage, I stayed on trail while observing it. I was curious to see how far off of the trail it went, but kept on going to my destination.

Driver8
06-12-2011, 23:15
I haven't been past Bear yet but I hope to get out there next Sunday, if all goes as planned. With regards to the fire damage, I stayed on trail while observing it. I was curious to see how far off of the trail it went, but kept on going to my destination.

Well if you'd like, Joker, I'm game to carpool or two-car it out to Bear/Race land next Sunday. We could do Undermountain to Sages to Race, or we could go over Bear and then north to Race. I ran short on time Friday and so turned around at A.T. junction with Race Brook Falls Trail rather than ascending Race or Everett. Got snap-happy with my camera ascending R.B. Falls trail along the brook. Was worth it, but I do want to get back up Race soon - have only traversed it once, on the A.T. last summer, though I've been up the Falls trail, all or part of it, four times and have traversed Everett twice.

We could two-car it, one at U/m and the other at R.B. Falls trailhead, if you like. Or we could park a bike at R.B. Falls and one of us could bike back to the car at U/m to save on gas.

Joker4ink
06-13-2011, 13:59
Yeah, I'm definately in! I'd be up for the two-car shuttle so we can check out more of the trail. I'm game for any part of it. I'll PM you so we can figure out details.

Driver8
06-13-2011, 15:55
Yeah, I'm definately in! I'd be up for the two-car shuttle so we can check out more of the trail. I'm game for any part of it. I'll PM you so we can figure out details.

Cool. Saw your PM before this, so didn't know you preferred two car in my reply to you. Sounds good to me!