PDA

View Full Version : 7-8 nights in Monongahela... any advice?

Slayer
06-10-2011, 19:24
Hi all, I'm leaving tomorrow AM for a 7-8 night solo trip in Monongahela Nat. Forest (WV.) In particular I will be in the Spruce Knob area. This is an area that I am moderately familiar with. I was supposed to leave this AM, but the Missus and I were at the Levon Help show last night and I had just gotten of a straight 10 day work period, and I wasn't up to a 6 hr drive.

Anyways, my pack wt. is abt. 36 lbs including 2 liters of water. My food weight is 12 lbs. This is a bit heavier than I am used to, however, since this is the longest solo trip I have ever taken, I didn't want to skimp on supplies. For what it's worth, my previous longest solo trip was 3 nights.

Soooo..... I don't have much in the way of a question, more like, does anyone have any advice or suggestions? I am planning on some off trail hiking and exploring the meadows at the top of High Meadows Trail.

Thanks all.

-d-

Country Roads
06-10-2011, 21:04
I think exploring the high meadows area is all the idea you need. That is a very nice place! Check out the sinks along Lumberjack trail. I also understand there are a lot of caves up that way. I have seen old 1970's photos of a cave entrance near Judy Springs. Never have had the time to check it out though. Either way, have a great time!

Blissful
06-10-2011, 21:33
The Dolly Sods area is also a great place to explore. But I do love Spruce Knob also. Haven't done backpacking in that particular area, so be sure to report back.

I blogged (http://blissfulhiking.blogspot.com/search/label/West%20Virginia%20Hikes) about our Dolly Sods backpack trip; ended with an injury too :(

Cookerhiker
06-11-2011, 06:50
Don't know how far from Spruce Knob you want to venture. I've done a 3 day, 2 night backpack in Otter Creek Wilderness which is near Parsons. Otter Creek is a beautiful stream surrounded by hemlocks, rhorodendron, and mountain laurel with boulders and swimming holes.

Further afield in MNF but a great place to base camp and hike is the Cranberry Glades area.

Blissful
06-11-2011, 08:56
My hubby LOVES Otter Creek! Again that is an area I need to explore too.

Country Roads
06-11-2011, 19:18
I Love stream side hikes too!. My ratings: Otter Creek #1; Seneca Creek #2, Red Creek #3. Reasons: Otter Creek is a constantly changing, pretty much always close to you, swimming holes, water falls, fishing, very dramatic. Seneca creek is less dramatic, but you are pretty much always close to the creek and the water falls are nice. Red Creek is nice, but you are way above the creek for the lot of time and can only hear it, but it does have nice swimming holes, some waterfalls and a really nice "water slide".

I don't think you can go wrong whatever hike you pick.

Cookerhiker
06-11-2011, 20:07
Some Otter Creek photos