PDA

View Full Version : public Lodging at Amicoala Falls state park?

DavidNH
02-01-2005, 22:49
Hello,

Is there lodging at Amicoala Falls State park in Georgia? I am considering doing the AT starting from Springer in late march of 06 and would be arriving via public transportation (how close can public transport get me?) to Amicoala Falls State Park then taking the approach trail to AT southern Terminus.

David

Mother Nature
02-01-2005, 23:07
There is a state lodge within a few hundred yards to the beginning of the approach trail. Also a campground for tenting.

Mother Nature

bluelight
02-01-2005, 23:12
Try this site:

http://gastateparks.org
I used this last year to book a cabin at the bottom of the park. There is also a lodge at the top of the mountain and a shelter behind the rangers office. Hope this helps.

halibut15
02-01-2005, 23:17
Public Transportation can get you there, I think. You can fly into ATL, then I think it may be possible, if you ask the right people, to get a taxi to Amicalola. If nothing else, a taxi would probably be able to get you as far as Gainesville (about an hour away from the park).

hikerjohnd
02-01-2005, 23:17
The lodge is nice - at least it was in 1996 when we stayed there - as I recall there was come construction going on - an expansion maybe? Still very nice place to stay.

orangebug
02-01-2005, 23:29
There are lots of options in the park. There is the Lodge in Amicalola Park with buffets and meeting rooms. There are small and large cabins scattered around the falls and the ridge below the Lodge. There is the Lynn Foote Inn 4 miles up the hill with great dining and a middle ground between home and the shelter for sleeping accommodations (heated bathrooms). And there are campsites including primitive, RV sites and such.

There are shuttle services from ATL to Dawsonville, and probably would take you on to the Park for extra cash. There is a hostel/shuttle provider who will do all of that for $50, plus you have a place to stay your first night as you deal with the pre-hike jitters. Usually, those who take the train or bus into Gainesville will get a shuttle or a cabbie to the Park. It is actually pretty easy.

kevin
02-01-2005, 23:59
I stayed at the Lodge (http://www.amicalolafalls.com) and found it to be a nice spot to stay. The price wasn't cheap, but it was reasonable and we arrived late afternoon the day before I started my hike which gave my wife and I time to look around the park and visit the visitors center and falls. Since I started late, we were before summer tourist season and after the thru-hiker rush so the place was kind of empty...I think there were maybe two other groups in the restaurant.

Another option that you might consider is HikerHostel (http://www.hikerhostel.com/). Its a beautiful place run by great people and the prices are great as well. Can't beat their thru-hiker special if you are going to be coming in to the airport. Highly recommended.

Dances with Mice
02-01-2005, 23:59
Has anyone mentioned the first shelter on the Approach Trail? It's about 50 yards behind the Visitor Center. Free for hikers.

The Solemates
02-02-2005, 10:36
If you have several people and only get one room, the Lodge is actually very inexpensive for what you get. Most rooms are loft-style, so they will sleep 6. We filled up a room and it was only like $15 per person per night. During the peak season, however, they make you stay a minimum of 2 nights stay. We've stayed there twice (once at the start of our thru and once at the start of our GA section hike). The AYCE buffet is well worth it, especially when they have fried seafood night.

MileMonster
02-02-2005, 10:52
I stayed at the Lodge and it was nice.

Lone Wolf
02-02-2005, 11:40
I've stayed in the cabins, the campground and The Hike Inn. I've stealthed in the park. Next month I'm gonna stay in the lodge and graze on the buffet for dinner and breakfast before hitting the trail. :D

Rain Man
02-02-2005, 12:27
My family stayed in the Lodge last February 28th, and hiked up Springer on the 29th, and daughter started the trail on March 1st.

I was very impressed with the lodge, especially to be a state park. The price was reasonable for five of us in a room. If I recall, it had plaques up for winning the "Best Georgia State Park Lodge" award about ten years in a row.

And as others have said, the AYCE buffet was good.

Oh, we had TWO false fire alarms during that COLD night, and got to stand outside getting to know the other hikers! LOL

The next morning we drove back down to the Visitors Center to see it, sign in, and hike the entire approach trail for funsies.
:sun
Rain Man

A-Train
02-02-2005, 19:07
If you"re coming down with family and have the xtra cash definately plan to stay at the lodge. It's really nice and comfy and a great place to comtemplate ur journey and spend a last night gorging the buffet and laying inside. Well worth it!