PDA

View Full Version : Integral Designs eVENT Shortie Gaiters Review

STICK
06-11-2011, 00:05
A while back I decided that I wanted to make the transition from boots to trail runners. Especially so for the warmer months. However in making this decision, I decided that I would want to use some low cut gaiters with them to help keep out debris. So, even though I didn't have any trail runners at that time, I decided to pick up some gaiters. One of my main concerns was that the gaiters would work with not only trail runners, but also with boots. And of course, the lighter the better... So, I went with the ID eVENT shortie gaiters.

And tonight I finally got around to writing up an initial review on them and post them on my blog. If interested, it can be read here:

Integral Designs eVENT Shortie Gaiters (http://sticksblog.com/2011/06/10/integral-designs-event-shortie-gaiters/#more-2696)

Thanks for reading.

Jay_NJ
06-11-2011, 00:43
I also purchased these when I started using train runners. I actually don't use the bottom straps as I find that they stay put and cover my shoe even during activities like a rock scramble. Good review!

STICK
06-11-2011, 00:47
Thanks, and I will keep that in mind about not using the bottom strap. They do seem to craddle my boot/shoe pretty well...

SMSP
06-11-2011, 00:52
I looked into gaiters awhile back, trying to figure out if I needed them. I cant say thay I do, yet. I hike alot with my Merrell Ventilators, low cut, and dont get much debris at all, maybe just a bit of sand, but no twigs, rocks, etc...

I did an a hike in the rain in Arkansas that I though water proof gaiters might have come in handy, will have to re-visit the idea.

SMSP

STICK
06-11-2011, 01:01
I was looking at the simBLISSity LevaGaiters as well as the Dirty Girl gaiters, but they are both made for trail runners only... Both of these will be lighter than the ID gaiters, however, they will not be as waterproof by no means.

SMSP
06-11-2011, 01:09
I like the design of these, very simple, when I was in REI last time, I spent time tring on all the gaiters they had in stock, the problem I had was with my calfs. I tried the REI Sahara (I think thats the name), the lightweight summer ones, almost got them.

But these for $30 with eVent, if I can come across some to try on, will do.
What size are your Moabs?

SMSP

STICK
06-11-2011, 01:18
Both the Merrells and my Lowas are size 12's and I just got my Inov-8 Roclite 315's in a size 12.5 and they work well with all of them. Oh and I ordered the size lg gaiters. I got them from Prolite gear and I think they were $25. Can't remember now.

Also, I can only pull these up to about mid calf and then it get tight, however this is plenty high enough to get my boots on. I will get a measurement on them though and post them tomorrow.

Dogwood
06-11-2011, 01:20
When my goal is to just keep debris out of my trail runners, likely doing bigger miles per day, and I go to gaiters, I opt for the shortest lightest most breathable pair available that will do the job. Lycra like fashionable with a flare Dirty Girls are good for that. For deserts, and as some PCTers will recogonize the name of, these work for that goal.

When wanting a bit more protection from debris, mud, and good water resistance, possibly for light(not deep postholing) snow trekking I go for gaiters made from stretchy, breathable Schoeller fabric like those made by REI and others. These are probably the best all around most used gaiters FOR ME that typically address my hiking adventures.

Only when I desire gaiters made from truely WP fabric do I go with the ID eVent shorty gaiters. They breathe well for WP gaiters but not as well as either of the gaiters I previously mentioned. I will note that just because the ID eVents are made from WP eVent material, LOL, that DOES NOT necessarily mean your feet will stay dry while wearing them even if you match them with low cut WP trail runners

I don't even own long gaiters. I just have not found the need for them.

Now, I have to read your write up Stick.

STICK
06-11-2011, 01:29
I totally agree.

I don't necessarily wear mine to keep my feet dry, but rather to simply keep stuff out, but of course I like that they keep the wet grass from getting my pants and lower legs wet. However, when I recently ordered my trail runners, I steered way clear of GTX or other WP liners. I wantaed something with lots of mesh so they would just dry out really fast! This is why I am not worried so much about these being waterproof with my trail runners.

Also, I went with the shortie gaiters because I wanted a pair that would work with both my boots and my trail runners. The Dirty Girl and the LevaGaiters are listed to only work with trail runners. I also looked at the REI Desert gaiters and while they will work with both boots and trail runners, they are right at 4 oz a pair, and about the same price as the ID gaiters. So, I went with the shorties... Honestly though, I figured the eVENT gaiters would breathe better than the REI gaiters as well...

I do also have a pair of high gaiters, and I carry those whenever I head to the Smokies in the winter. I love high gaiters when I need to posthole through some snow...

Dogwood
06-11-2011, 01:34
Some thiings about the Dirty Girls. They work good for keeping out debris not water, by any stetch of the imagination. DGs are stetchy. I think made from Lycra or something similiar. Like I said they come in several differnt patterns and colors. They can be used to add some flare in your hiking apparel line up. I have the ones with Pineapples.They are designed by a runner. They do not have a cord/wire/etc that goes under your hiking shoe that afixes them. Instead they are held in place with velcro attched to your shoe at the outside heel and via a small metal shoe lace clip as is common with other brand gaiters. Everthing you need to use these gaiters is supplied when you purchase a pair. They are the lightest wt gaiters that solve the issue of not wanting debris in your shoes that I'm currently aware of. One caveat I noticed is that the instep was a bit tight on my feet. Perhaps that's because I have high volume insteps or perhaps it's the design. I recommend you size one up if you have a high volume instep when ordering.

Dogwood
06-11-2011, 01:44
The REI Schoeller fabric gaiters are not made from the same material as the REI Sahara gaiters. If you are not familiar with Scheoller fabric let me note that it really resists dirt and mud absorption. Schoeller fabric stays clean longer. And, though not being WP Schoeller is quite WR. I have a pair of Schoeller fabric pants I use for high abrasion, wet, muddy, and icey treks, including some mountaineering adventures, and can attest to it NOT absorbing water, mud, and excessive amounts of dirt!

Dogwood
06-11-2011, 01:45
The REI Schoeller fabric gaiters are not made from the same material as the REI Sahara gaiters. If you are not familiar with Scheoller fabric let me note that it really resists dirt and mud absorption. Schoeller fabric stays clean longer. And, though not being WP Schoeller is quite WR. I have a pair of Schoeller fabric pants I use for high abrasion, wet, muddy, and icey treks, including some mountaineering adventures, and can attest to it NOT absorbing water, mud, and excessive amounts of dirt!

STICK
06-11-2011, 12:55
I have a NF Apex jacket and I believe that the NF Apex jacket is essentially NF's version of Schoeller?

Raul Perez
06-11-2011, 14:46
I have the MLD event gaiters. Good write up

STICK
06-11-2011, 16:11
Raul, do you think those would fit over a pair of hiking boots as well as trail runners?

I eyeballed them for a bit too, but they were a bit pricey when compared to the ID gaiters. Although, I do have a pair of the MLD eVENT mitts...

Raul Perez
06-11-2011, 16:43
I believe so. I use the longer versions for winter hiking over my keen growlers.

I didn't like the I'd colors I like the more earth tone colors

Kerosene
06-11-2011, 17:13
The other time that gaiters are valuable is when you're hiking through 4-12" of snow. In that scenario, along with wearing them in the rain to keep water from running down into your boots, make sure that you drape or "blouse" your wind/rain pants over the tops of the gaiters, or wear the gaiters outside your pants.

ChinMusic
06-11-2011, 20:04
How would this compare to the Mountain Laurel Designs "SuperLight Gaiter"?

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=114

I'm not much of a gaiter fan but could see the benefit for occasional use.

Dogwood
06-11-2011, 20:17
Those are pretty light wt and compressible for true WP gaiters.

Raul, how does the drawstring top closure keep the gaiter "up" compared to something like the elasticized top band of ID's eVent gaiter. Does the MLD gaiter slip down often?

And, does the MLD gaiter require an under shoe cord to hold them in place? If so I'm wondering about the durability of those cords that I see in MLD's pics? Input?

FamilyGuy
06-11-2011, 20:26
I have both the ID and the MLD event shorties. They are essentially the same design except that the ID has a metal hook to hook onto the laces and the MLD has a plastic hook. Both have an underfoot elastic shoe cord.

One thing, in my opinion, that the ID gaiters have over the MLD gaiters is an instep patch. This is precisely the place where I wore two holes in the MLD gaiters. Probably from roots or maybe scree. Not sure. Everything being equal, I believe the ID gaiters to be of better value. Quality is the same.

ChinMusic
06-11-2011, 20:43
I have both the ID and the MLD event shorties. They are essentially the same design except that the ID has a metal hook to hook onto the laces and the MLD has a plastic hook. Both have an underfoot elastic shoe cord.

One thing, in my opinion, that the ID gaiters have over the MLD gaiters is an instep patch. This is precisely the place where I wore two holes in the MLD gaiters. Probably from roots or maybe scree. Not sure. Everything being equal, I believe the ID gaiters to be of better value. Quality is the same.

Thanks. I really didn't expect anyone to own both.

Dogwood
06-11-2011, 20:49
So, in use FG you are saying both perform the same? I was thinking the ID's might make a better seal around the top?

TU FG.

FamilyGuy
06-11-2011, 21:41
Thanks. I really didn't expect anyone to own both.

I am seeing a therapist about the gear collecting....:D

FamilyGuy
06-11-2011, 21:46
So, in use FG you are saying both perform the same? I was thinking the ID's might make a better seal around the top?

TU FG.

I would agree with that assessment, but it would be a minor difference. They are pretty short so should one be using them for extreme deep mud and / or deep snow, then a taller gaiter would be more useful. MLD has taller eVent gaiters available; ID does not.

I will add that I have never gotten noticeable condensation on the inside of the fabric and find them quite breathable.

QiWiz
06-17-2011, 14:08
I like the velcro attachment that Dirty Girl uses for the gaiters she sells. I sewed a velcro patch on my ID gaiters and took off the strap. Now all my trail runners have velcro on the back and I can use either DG or ID gaiters depending on the conditions.

Dogwood
06-17-2011, 16:25
Nice tip QiWiz.

Del Q
06-17-2011, 19:59
I started using gaiters a few years ago, nice upgrade. Laces stayed tied, stuff does not wind up on my socks and in my shoes.

ChinMusic
06-17-2011, 20:49
Just ordered a set of Dirty Girl Gaiters for my daughter and myself for our trip to Yosemite. Should come in handy for my Grand Canyon trip as well. They look perfect for the dusty west. She is gonna love the stylishness too.

I like QiWiz's idea of using Velcro for the ID model. I'm just not sure I would want/need even the IDs on the AT. Maybe early in the season to keep snow out of my trail runners.

Dogwood
06-17-2011, 23:40
Which pattern DGs did you get your daughter Chinny?

ChinMusic
06-18-2011, 01:26
Which pattern DGs did you get your daughter Chinny?
I got her "running weather" to go with the light blue on her trail runners.

http://www.dirtygirlgaiters.com/weather.jpg

I went with "dirty out" for no particular reason.

ChinMusic
06-21-2011, 13:41
I was wondering why the staff was giggling when I went through my mail at lunch today. They couldn't wait for me to open the package labeled "Dirty Girl Gaiters".

They were disappointed.........

STICK
06-21-2011, 17:56
I was wondering why the staff was giggling when I went through my mail at lunch today. They couldn't wait for me to open the package labeled "Dirty Girl Gaiters".

They were disappointed.........

Haha...that's funny!